Gransnet forums

News & politics

Shortages?

(133 Posts)
mcem Mon 28-Jan-19 12:23:25

Major food retailers are warning that food security is threatened by a no deal brexit. This will mean higher prices and empty shelves.
So say the Ceos of M&S, Sainsbury, Lidl, Co-op, Morrison, KFC, Starbucks!
Stockpiling of fresh food is impossible of course.
Freight through Calais could fall by 87% (according to government's own figures).

Urmstongran Sat 02-Feb-19 21:18:16

Love your story Grandad1943! Most of us (unless of higher intellect, operate at ‘what is good for me & my family’ level). And nowt wrong with that. ??

merlotgran Sat 02-Feb-19 14:40:18

That's the kind of thing DH would do, Grandad.

Any excuse to get his hands on the things he's not allowed.

I read on Mumsnet that someone's OH had bought 20 Pot Noodles for the Brexit cupboard and they don't even eat Pot Noodles. grin

Grandad1943 Sat 02-Feb-19 14:34:27

Just to put Brexit on a lighter note, we have taken on a young female employee in our business which we are training up to be a Legal Secretary. Her partner could not get into his work yesterday due to the bad weather.

They had been discussing stocking up for Brexit, so having time on his hands yesterday he told her he would buy extra for Brexit storage along with their regular shopping.

A few of us us have been in the office with her this morning (Saturday) and someone asked how the stock up had gone? Well, she replied, when I got home I found that he had purchased three tins of fruit cocktail and a large tin of cream.

When asked why he had bought that, he said "I always loved tin fruit cocktail as a kid. Anyway, it's a start." confused

Urmstongran Sat 02-Feb-19 08:41:31

Thanks PECS for this. I opened the link and it looks very useful. I’ve saved it to Pocket for future reference.
As you say good to have facts & less emotion!

PECS Sat 02-Feb-19 08:23:24

fullfact.org/europe/brexit-questions-answered/ There is useful non- emotional info on this link.

jura2 Thu 31-Jan-19 20:33:37

Lemon 'The medication shortages have their roots in the pharma industry and not to do with Brexit.There have been many shortages for a while.'

totally correct - but Brexit will make it much worse, We will be in competition for supplies with the EU27 (and other countries). They will of course prioretise inter EU supplies - for obvious reasons- but also because of transport, testing, etc, problems to UK - but mainly because they can sell to countries with a much better exchange rate.

Urmstongran Thu 31-Jan-19 20:29:11

Walmart bought out Boots but kept the name for trading on the high street as it is a trusted brand (according to polls taken at the time).
However the company have made cutbacks for profit - I have a friend who works there - and it is now not as good as it used to be.

Jalima1108 Thu 31-Jan-19 20:07:41

I think Boots in general has a problem and it is not new.

ayse Thu 31-Jan-19 20:06:41

There not their. Silly me

ayse Thu 31-Jan-19 20:05:57

Medicine-yesterday DH went to collect his overdue prescription at our small local Boots. Apparently the shelves normally full of medicines waiting for collection were almost empty. DH had not received his normal text reminder either!
They had to go to the back to a ‘large sack” and find the required medications. He found this rather disturbing and suggested to me that medicine was being held back until the person went their to ask why it was late.
I think this is a rather disturbing development even taking into account that some medicines have been in short supply. The meds he takes are the usual statins etc. and not out of the ordinary.

Nonnie Wed 30-Jan-19 10:32:41

If we already have problems sourcing some meds what will it be like when we leave the EU.

This is what the head of one of our biggest health authorities thinks; www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47051031

NanaMacGeek Wed 30-Jan-19 10:19:58

I'm another one affected by medication shortages. After 7 years of poor health, last year saw new treatment which made a drastic improvement to my quality of life. I've now been told that my current medication will not be replaced when it runs out in a month's time. It looks as if I will have to go back on to the old regime which means regular hospital treatment and frequent infections needing antibiotics again.

I know there is a global shortage of some medicines but there are also other factors at work. The weak pound has also made things worse for the NHS but I don't really understand why we suddenly have a supply crisis just as the end of March is approaching.

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Jan-19 23:27:56

There are no substitutes for some drugs.

endre123 Tue 29-Jan-19 23:01:59

Substitute drugs are going to be a problem for those who have serious side effects from the usual prescription. Keep reminding GP that they have to keep requesting the suitable drug. I have prescribed pain patches which the dept of health tried to substitute with another similar (but cheaper) a year ago. I had a massive reaction to them & I was immediately put back on the original.

Good luck mcem

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Jan-19 23:01:36

Perhaps he knows something that the average Gransnet poster doesn't?
Perhaps lots of people know something that the average Gransnet poster doesn't.

Well, if he does know something he hasn't shared the information with my consultant.

I hope they have sufficient of your DD's drugs mcem if there is a problem come the end of March.

mcem Tue 29-Jan-19 22:38:06

My DD needs a real cocktail of pain killers for fibro including a monthly infusion which may become difficult. The same medication is delivered by patches. Again there could be a problem with the active ingredient. She is about to have an operation to improve her poor kidney function which might alleviate pain and help with the constant uti's.
The prospect of her coping without very specific antibiotics and other assorted drugs is unthinkable.
She can't just switch to an alternative.
But never mind, we'll just be patient while TM and co make yet another attempt to cobble something together. After all it's only project fear and fake news!

paddyann Tue 29-Jan-19 21:50:23

She does have an Irish friend who is a doctor and says she'll do what she can to get things from the ROI if it gets desperate

paddyann Tue 29-Jan-19 21:48:19

Scares me witless the issue with medication mcem my daughter now has carpal tunnel syndrome to add to her many other health issues and will need surgery very soon for it .She's on around 20 pills a day for her Fibromyalgia and hyper joint mobility syndrome .Honestly I dont know how she keeps going .If meds become scarce I cant imagine how she'll cope

mcem Tue 29-Jan-19 21:42:38

My daughter has never had problems until now and her gp specifically mentioned brexit.
Perhaps he knows something that the average Gransnet poster doesn't?
Perhaps lots of people know something that the average Gransnet poster doesn't.

petra Tue 29-Jan-19 21:26:08

endre123
uk farmers get huge subsidies
Not nearly as much as the French. The largest recipient of CAP payments in the eu.

merlotgran Tue 29-Jan-19 21:09:55

Yes. lemon. DH has had trouble getting his regular prescription of rivaroxaban and verapamil for three or four months now.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Jan-19 20:57:07

Thank you Nonnie. ??

lemongrove Tue 29-Jan-19 20:43:46

The medication shortages have their roots in the pharma industry and not to do with Brexit.There have been many shortages for a while.

mcem Tue 29-Jan-19 20:00:34

Don't know what he means as she was upset and I changed the subject. He did mention brexit so I assume some of the med's/ ingredients come from Europe. This has never happened before.
Will find out more!
It makes me so angry that we're in this position and will see absolutely no benefits even if/when the immediate crisis is over.

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Jan-19 19:43:48

Is he just scaremongering?

Well, there have been shortages of many medicines and this has nothing to do with Brexit. There is, for instance, a worldwide shortage of Epipens and patients were told to hold on to theirs even if they were out of date because of the difficulty in finding new ones.
Other medicines have been in short supply for a while. Eighteen months ago Boots informed me that they could not get hold of my usual medicine (they did manage to get a limited supply to 'tide me over' as we were going away - but what a fuss and palaver they made about having to do so).