Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Honerable MP for Yardley

(101 Posts)
Anja Thu 31-Jan-19 08:03:36

Did anyone watch Jess Phillips comments on the £30,000 minimum earnings as an acceptable precursor to allowing immigrants to work in this country?

I think it was during the debate on immigration to a largely empty house. She deserved a larger audience.

Anja Thu 31-Jan-19 08:04:15

Yardley

NanKate Thu 31-Jan-19 08:09:56

No I didn’t Anja but whenever I gave hear her speak I find I am agreeing with her, even though she is in a different political party to me.

(Is it different to or different from, can’t remember ?)

LullyDully Thu 31-Jan-19 08:10:16

I didn't hear her Anja , but she is surely one to watch. She is down to earth and talks sense. Wish she was my MP.

NanKate Thu 31-Jan-19 08:11:07

I hear not I gave hear ?

Anniebach Thu 31-Jan-19 08:32:00

She has spoken out against Corbyn and had a rather public disagreement with Diane Abbott, doubt we will see Jess on the front benches .

maryeliza54 Thu 31-Jan-19 08:44:50

Jess is a bit marmite but can be brilliant on certain issues - she was really strong on the two MPs who were given the whip back to support May - she read out some of the filthy disgusting texts ( of the 1000s) that one of them had sent to two of his constituents. She’s big on women’s issues and a staunch supporter of the DV bill. She did make an unacceptable comment about knifing another MP - can’t remember which one. But I think people with her heart and commitment are sadly lacking in the H of C. She worked for several years with DV.

Anniebach Thu 31-Jan-19 08:50:32

The knife comment was when asked about her disagreements with Corbyn , she replied I would knife him from the front not the back,

maryeliza54 Thu 31-Jan-19 08:55:23

Ah yes that’s it - think it’s probably wise if MPs don’t make comments like that really regardless of provocation but set in the overall context of her commitment and work I don’t damn her for it of course but don’t think it was acceptable regardless of who the comment was about.

maryeliza54 Thu 31-Jan-19 08:57:17

I view Jess in a rather more rounded way than who she’s fallen out with

Anniebach Thu 31-Jan-19 09:04:08

She is needed on the front bench so the fact the leader doesn’t like her means she has to stay on the back benches, the front bench is so weak

MawBroon Thu 31-Jan-19 09:10:56

At first sight I thought this might be about the dishonourable MP for Peterborough who is still drawing her full salary plus expenses while serving a 3 month custodial sentence for the most shameful and blatant, not to say criminal, lying behaviour. angry
But I agree Jess Phillips (and we the electorate) deserves better. Not impressed with our H of C.

Anniebach Thu 31-Jan-19 09:15:30

I stopped watching Question Time, only Two women, Abbott and Thornberry appear.

maryeliza54 Thu 31-Jan-19 09:20:38

Tbf I don’t think either front bench is anything to write home about. Re FO I think there should be a real discussion about MPs( and I’d include the HofL yes JA I’m looking at you) who are convicted of anything as to whether they should continue to serve as MPs. Where should the line be drawn - at present it’s a sentence of 12 months or more isn’t it?. I feel sorry for her constituency in the meantime. I suppose her constituency office will still be in operation and staff there generally do a lot of the case work anyway but they will need to be paid and there will be expenses there so there has to be money going in. What a mess though

paddyann Thu 31-Jan-19 09:30:51

Are there ANY "honourable" MP's in the unionist benches? The behaviour by them towards Ian Blackford yesterday was abysmal ....even by their normal standards .For once Bercow stood up FOR him but nothing was done about whoever it was that suggested he should F--- off !! He is an elected member just like the rest and they should remember that .HE'S doing the job WE want fighting to keep us in the EU .
This behaviour is unacceptable.Sadly its what Scotland has had to endure for a very long time .I can just imagine the outcry if someone told Ms May to F off !

Anniebach Thu 31-Jan-19 09:59:09

The U.K. voted leave , Scotland voted to stay in the U.K.

Two referendums and you don’t accept the results of either paddyanne

The MP who used that language should have been ordered to leave the house.

Nonnie Thu 31-Jan-19 10:05:02

I didn't see it but I'm not a fan of JP. She is too shouty for and she hates men. Her views on men and women are far too biased for me.

Anniebach Thu 31-Jan-19 10:06:51

She did marry - a man

Ilovecheese Thu 31-Jan-19 10:08:55

So what does anyone think about the £30,000 salary issue?

maryeliza54 Thu 31-Jan-19 10:11:48

She doesn’t hate men - her experience has demonstrated to her the terrible terrible suffering that some men inflict on women ( and their children) and the need for better protection. For example we need people like her to shout about the fact that men like this at the moment are able to insist on cross examining their partners in the family courts and refuse to allow their defence barrister to do it. Have you read the DVBill? And if you do ask yourself why thecthings in it are only being addressed now? Do you honestly think that saying politely gets laws changed in a patriarchal world?

GillT57 Thu 31-Jan-19 10:14:22

Aside from whether we like Jess Phillips or not, she has raised a most important point which will affect every single one of us. The £30,000 minimum earnings limit will mean that we cannot allow entry to care workers, teachers, nurses, junior doctors.....need I sat more? Jess Phillips does harangue, does shout sometimes but that doesn't mean that what she says is nonsense. Her comment regarding the knife and Corbyn I take to mean she is not sly and sneaky and will tell him straight what is wrong unlike many other members of the LP who agree to his face and then plot behind his back. Her comments were deliberately misrepresented, not many in the HoC like an oustpoken woman, whatever party she is in.

maryeliza54 Thu 31-Jan-19 10:23:11

Good post Gill. When you think about how many prominent MPs( mainly male) behave to get attention (and succeed) is there any wonder that being shouty is employed as a tactic? If the H of C were different .....but she has to work within the bear garden it currently is.

maryeliza54 Thu 31-Jan-19 10:28:10

www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/30/domestic-abusers-still-able-to-cross-examine-victims-in-court?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

So being shouty about this is a reason not to like JP?

Anja Thu 31-Jan-19 10:32:48

She spoke very passionately but also humorously. It wasn’t PM Question Time incidentally or there would have been a better turn out.

She’s one to watch. I liked her style. She actually cares about her constituents and wider issues.

maryeliza54 Thu 31-Jan-19 10:46:45

Exactly Anja . Meanwhile the wonderful Christopher Chope ( he of the delaying the upskirting bill) is apparently at it again with delaying further legislation re FGM. But he’s not shouty and doesn’t hate men do who are we to criticise him?