Gransnet forums

News & politics

Warwick University- would you want any dgc of yours to go there?

(305 Posts)
maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 09:04:52

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47060367

Just when you think that things can’t get any worse for women, this happens. I wouldn’t want any dgc of mine to go there now given the universities decision. What message does this send to both men and women? I’m off to find a petition to sign.

Lisagran Fri 01-Feb-19 09:08:37

#ShameOnYouWarwick

Dreadful

Urmstongran Fri 01-Feb-19 09:16:22

Shocking.

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 09:24:38

How sad. Again no winners here. The women have every right to feel safe and to have their well being protected by the University. They have been badly let down. The young men have behaved totally inappropriately..possibly illegally? Not sure of the context ..not that is excuses them... but through misogyny, ignorance and stupidity they have got themselves highlighted. They should not have been able to return to campus when the female students were still studying there
and without some guarantees from Warwick that other women would not be subject to this type of fear & abuse.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 09:33:29

What on earth is the university playing at? Reading some of those messages ( which also included racist and anti- Semitic slurs) I don’t understand why the police were not involved. Imagine one of these ‘men’ being your ds or dgs.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 09:41:56

They should not have been allowed to return at all ever full stop - I’m glad they’ve been named and hope that they have a thoroughly dreadful time next year on their return. The best tactics would be for other students to completely shun them. The women haven’t just been badly let down though have they - they have had a message about their relative value to the university.

Luckygirl Fri 01-Feb-19 09:58:27

I am deeply puzzled as to why they have not simply been expelled - if they did this at a school they would be.

Simple expulsion and reported to the police should have been the course of action. It is not an internal university matter at all.

And the university have behaved very badly by not keeping the victims informed of what was going on.

I am very shocked at the lenient way they have been treated. Let us hope that the police get wind of it now and consider prosecuting them for intimidation and threatening behaviour.

One of my DDs went to Warwick.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 10:07:35

My personal belief Lucky is that it is at best unconscious misogyny coupled with they didn’t mean it, it was banter, they’d had a bit to drink, where’s your sense of humour love, you’re lucky they wanted to rape you. In my less noble moments I wonder how much the parents have donated to the university and whether the schools the ‘men’ went to were a certain sort of school with a certain sort of ‘old boy’s network’.

EllanVannin Fri 01-Feb-19 10:36:08

There are none worse at this sort of behaviour than the " Hooray Henry's " of this world. I despise them. What makes them think that they're above the law ?
Disgraceful !!

Squiffy Fri 01-Feb-19 10:37:00

I've found this link to a Change.org petition:

www.change.org/p/stuart-croft-to-see-the-11-warwick-university-students-face-more-extreme-punishment-than-suspension

Luckygirl Fri 01-Feb-19 11:01:00

Just seen a bit on TV about this. It seems that the person who chaired the disciplinary investigation was the uni's press officer!

Frankly, if they were concerned about their image, then expelling these students and making a clear declaration that such behaviour will not be tolerated would have served them better.

trisher Fri 01-Feb-19 11:33:59

I think the ban should at the very least be extended to ensure none of the women who felt threatened were still at the university when these men were able to return. But more importantly I think there should be some sort of compulsory education for them. If you speed in your car you are expected to do a course and this is so much worse. Men who have not learned in childhood from their family that threatening women is wrong need to be taught by some other body. I do wonder who has backed their appeal, if it was my DS I would be saying take your punishment and learn the lesson.
I have signed the petition, appealing means they have learned nothing and still don't recognise what they have done.

Liz46 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:54:18

Thanks for the link Squiffy. I've signed and shared it on Facebook.

megan123 Fri 01-Feb-19 12:00:41

Warwick University - Shame On You - Disgraceful.

sodapop Fri 01-Feb-19 12:02:18

"Hooray Henrys " EllanVannin why do you say that ?

It's abhorrent they have been allowed back early, people need to learn there are consequences to every action. Warwick should take a good hard look at this ruling.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 12:23:49

They should not be allowed back at all - have you read any of the messages they posted and did you know they set up a second group afterwards?

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 12:51:57

One of mine was at Warwick University many years ago now and I think it is sad that this disgusting behaviour and what appears to be the condoning of it has tainted the whole University, those studying there at present and ex-students.

They should be named, shamed and banned and I think the file handed over to the police who I hope could take further action against them.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 13:00:25

It just reminds us doesn’t it about how far there is yet to travel - how did these ‘men’ become like this? Can you imagine it being one of your own dgs or worse ds?

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 13:21:22

I did hear that it was reported to the police and they said no crime had been committed. It doesn't excuse such behaviour imo. I wonder if the university would have to let them back if they hadn't 'committed a crime'. I'm sure someone will have found out their reasoning. It would be interesting to see their point of view as well.

PECS the article says She added the penalties were intended to allow the complainants time to complete their studies before the disciplined students were given the opportunity to return. so at least the women concerned won't have to see them.

Just setting out points I don't think have been mentioned yet, not in any way standing up for them, silly immature boys who need to learn now.

Parsley3 Fri 01-Feb-19 13:49:00

Thank you, Squiffy. I have signed the petition. I am disgusted that these men thought it was a jolly jape to threaten to rape women who thought of them as friends. As a consequence of their actions they should not be allowed to finish their studies at Warwick.
If the men are allowed back this year then the women say that there is the possibility of meeting them in seminars.
This cannot be acceptable.

KatyK Fri 01-Feb-19 13:50:24

I've been trying to keep this from my DH as our granddaughter is at Warwick. He's just seen it unfortunately. It's appalling and frightening for us. She is there because it's one of the best and it was her first choice. Knowing this has happened, of course we wouldn't want her to be there but in any event grandparents have no say in where they go. We were chuffed to bits when she got in as it's quite nearby. We are appalled at the lenient treatment of these people but at least the rest of the uni know who they are.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 13:54:20

It would be interesting to have a statement from the police but I guess that don’t happen. One woman will not have completed her studies before they return. And when they return there will of course be thousands of women on campus who will be delighted at their presence. And they are not boys - they are adults. What they wrote was not immature it was threatening sickening filth

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Feb-19 13:56:46

It would be great katy if concerned parents and grandparents emailed Warwick with their fears and concerns

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 13:58:14

I'm surprised Marye that you think a mature person would do that.

According to the article from the OP they will have left before those people return.

KatyK Fri 01-Feb-19 13:58:37

I think a lot have maryeliza . It's made no difference so far.