Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour witch-hunt has started

(176 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 08-Feb-19 10:21:50

Luciano Berger is facing a vote of no confidence by her local
Constituancy party because she has criticised Corbyn .

McDonald said she has not been targeted because of anti semetism but because she has refused to rule out quitting labour, if there was any elements of anti semetism in Labour the party would deal with it, full stop

Luciana is being supported by Yvette Cooper and Ed Miliband.

Who is next ?

Urmstongran Fri 08-Feb-19 11:04:20

Keir Starmer is furious with JC because he’s taken a second referendum off the table.
And then John McDonnell has just said it’s definitely back on.
?
The cracks are showing.

petra Fri 08-Feb-19 12:01:39

You couldn't make it up, could you?
It's like a scene from 'In the thick of it' only it's not funny.

Grandad1943 Fri 08-Feb-19 13:17:30

While I am on a coffee break, let's place the thread back on topic. The constituency party for the parliamentary seat that Luciano Berger holds are considering de-selecting her because she will not clearly disassociate her name from a group Labour MPs who are linked to rumours of them leaving the party.

In the above, it is being stated in Britains right-wing press that the de-selection is linked to the anti-Semitism allegations in the party. However, as I understand the situation, both the constituency party and the executive have both stated that it is Luciano Bergers "lack of clarity" in regard to her long term commitment to the party that has brought about the Constituency parties action.

I feel that evidence regarding the above could be witnessed on Tuesday when Jenney Formby told both the Labour Party National Executive and the Parliamentary party very much what they did not wish to hear on anti-semitism in the party and in doing that upset many. However, no one has demanded her resignation as Formby made herself very clear on the issue.

Clarity brings respect, and Luciano Berger should take in that on board if she wishes to regain the respect of her constituency party.

MawBroon Fri 08-Feb-19 13:27:01

Had it gone off topic?
The question was “Who is next?”
Who do you think then?

PS LucianA is a woman, not to be confused with Luciano as in Pavarotti.

Anniebach Fri 08-Feb-19 13:34:15

Whilst I am having a tea break let’s bring the thread back on topic

Who is next on the hit list ?

POGS Fri 08-Feb-19 13:36:40

Momentum have already called for the deselection of:-

John Mann
Kate Hoey
Graham Stringer

Then there is the question of the likes of :-

Dennis Skinner , Ronnie Campbell and Kelvin Hopkins who voted against Labour recently but would Momentum follow through with deselected them, I doubt it , although even Skinner was called a ' Scab ' by Corbyn supporters. When that happens no MP is safe that does not come from the far left of the Labouyr Party.

Frank Field of course is no longer a Labour MP but stands as an Independent

The far left / left of Labour is now totally in control of Labour except for the Parliamentary Labour Party that is why deselections will probably be numerous.

From Corbyn the Leader , his ' Inner Circle ' , the shadow cabinet, the NEC, the party conference, most of the Unions, the party membership new and ' returned ' , all strongly backed by Momentum , pro-Corbyn blogs and social media the centrist Labour Party MP's and members will not stand a chance.

It is out of date a tad but over the years since Jeremy for Leader / Corbyn / Momentum started the ' HOSTILE LIST ' compliled then still gives an insight to those who are still sitting MP's .

janeainsworth Fri 08-Feb-19 13:39:31

Well Annie Chris Leslie has just been on the World at One and obviously thinks his days are numbered.

Grandad1943 Fri 08-Feb-19 13:44:52

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Grandad1943 Fri 08-Feb-19 13:47:15

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Feb-19 13:47:16

While I'm on my lunch break
Keir Starmer is furious with JC because he’s taken a second referendum off the table.

Oh please, Keir, please step forward! Labour needs a leader who is thoughtful and intelligent …..

Actually, if there is a Labour party left to lead - there will be no-one left at the rate they are going.

Anniebach Fri 08-Feb-19 13:47:24

No surprise janeainsworth, he lost a vote of no confidence last year. He is not of the hard left so yes his days are numbered

Anniebach Fri 08-Feb-19 13:51:22

One would think Corbyn would defend MP’s who didn’t toe the party line, he never did, it would take an honest leader to do that, Corbyn and honesty are strangers

janeainsworth Fri 08-Feb-19 14:02:52

annie Chris Leslie sounded so sane and reasonable.
If I had one wish to come out of the Brexit mess it would be for people like him and Yvette Cooper to form a new left of centre party that the many moderate people in this country could vote for.
George Orwell wrote that extremism could never take hold in this country, because British people are by nature moderate and don’t like extremes.
But if there’s no one to represent their values and opinions the gate is wide open to the far left or the far right.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Feb-19 14:06:59

I would be so happy for a moderate party with decent values and a realistic manifesto to emerge.

Anniebach Fri 08-Feb-19 14:07:08

I agree janeaiansworth, the time has now come for a party of the centre left. Memories of the SDP still cast shadows though.

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Feb-19 14:07:58

One would think Corbyn would defend MP’s who didn’t toe the party line, he never did
That is the irony Anniebach

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Feb-19 14:08:39

"The Labour Party is a broad church"

Not any longer.

Doodle Fri 08-Feb-19 14:19:21

Grandad I have lost count of the number of threads I have read in which you say that you have shown/told your group, workmates, WhatsApp group etc about the posts and goings on in GN. All I can say is that your “friends” must be hard up for something to talk about if the postings on GN are a source of interest to them and as for the fact you say they find them hilarious I can only assume they are easily amused. ?

Anniebach Fri 08-Feb-19 14:24:00

There is no Labour Party, it died the day Corbyn/Momentum took control

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 14:41:52

Surely in the case of Kate Hoey- deselection would be entirely appropriate.

POGS Fri 08-Feb-19 14:42:07

CORE GROUP HOSTILE

Alan Johnon
Alan Meale
Angela Smith
Anna Turley
Ed Miliband
Ben Bradshaw
Bridget Phillipson
Diana Johnson
Daniel Zeichner
Dan Jarvis
Derek Twigg
Frank Field
Gareth Thomas
George Howarth
Geoffrey Robinson
Gloria de Piero
Graham Allen
Hilary Benn
E Murray

Jo Cox

Jenny Chapman
Joan Ryan
John Mann
John Spellar
Jon Ashworth
Julie Elliott
Kate Green
Keith Vaz
Kerry McCarthy
Kevan Jones
Liam Byrne
Louise Ellman
Lucy Powell
Lyn Brown
Margaret Beckett
Maria Eagle
Meg Hillier
Natascha Engel
Neil Coyle
Richard Burden
Ruth Smeeth
Rob Flello
Shabana Mahmood
Stephen Doughty
Stephen Kinnock
Jess Phillips
Jonathan Reynolds
Steve Reed
Stephen Pound

HOSTILE GROUP

Alan Campbell
Alison McGovern
Ann Coffey
Barry Sheerman
Caroline Flint
Chris Evans
Chris Leslie
Chuka Umunna
Elizabeth Kendall
Emma Reynolds
Fiona Mactaggart
Graham Jones
Harriet Harman
Ian Austin
Ivan Lewis
Jamie Reed
John Woodcock
Luciana Berger
Margaret Hodge

As I say the list is out of date but it was ' the list '.

Chris Leslie and Luciana Berger were back then classed as ' Hostile ' .

Sorry Grandad but the evidence shows that from the start of the Jeremy for Leader/Momentum /Labour Party kicked off the ' Will ' of Corbyn and his cohorts has been to deselect those MP's who are not from the far left/left of Labour and apart from the Parliamentary Labour Party Members / MP's they have succeeded .

So many Labour MP's have been on record for years now telling how they knew deselection was the end game!

POGS Fri 08-Feb-19 14:47:32

jura2 Fri 08-Feb-19 14:41:52

"Surely in the case of Kate Hoey- deselection would be entirely appropriate."
---

Why?

Kate Hoey, Jeremy Corbyn , Dennis Skinner et al ALL went through the lobby to vote against the EU over decades.

Where the likes of Kate Hoey have gone wrong is they have stuck to their ' Principles' Corbyn has not.

Anja Fri 08-Feb-19 14:56:57

I think you might have at least deleted Jo Cox from your list ?

POGS Fri 08-Feb-19 15:09:26

Anja

It is not ' my list '!