Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn's long game - driving journalists crazy- and you?

(258 Posts)
jura2 Mon 18-Mar-19 11:55:08

Certainly me- same with his close acolytes- never ever answering a direct question:

news.sky.com/video/share-11668308?fbclid=IwAR3pTX4HLh5lBMtW5RcJlHzr1lb9_vbZfvib1NDK2Oa5CGxy-8mO_ZxgyI0

What about you? He is still going on about being able to quickly negotiate a Norway style deal without any of the strings and responsibilities attached.

POGS Thu 21-Mar-19 11:01:30

My issue with Corbyn/Labour is the hypocrisy that surrounds the rhetoric and behaviour. Labour has one aim and that is to get a General Election by Hell or High Water to abide by it's Membership instruction but Labour are showing their core voters they are of little to no consequence in those many Labour constituencies that voted Leave.

Labour demands the ' Red Lines' are dropped but not by their party.

Labour demands MP's vote against the EU/UK Withdrawal Bill, stupidly reported as Theresa May's Deal. Yet when Labour is challenged I have heard Corbyn/ John McDonnell/ Keir Starmer/Barry Gardiner/John Trickett Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all say something along the lines of' :-

' We can't change / alter the EU Withdrawal Bill, that's the agreement the EU has agreed to and has said it won't revisit/change. I have even heard Labour Ministers and MP's say they totally agree with the Irish Backstop ! Meaning even if Labour were in charge the EU/UK Withdrawal Bill will remain the same.

The arguments put forward by Labour as reasons to vote against the Withdrawal Bill such as EU Citizens rights both in the UK and in the other 27 EU nations, Employment law, Environmental issues, Security etc. are covered in the the Withdrawal Bill, happy to be corrected !

Labour wants to basically Remain in the EU and let the EU decide what we must do regarding our Law, Trade and abiding by the 4 pillars/freedoms as far as I can see it as it wants to stay in the Customs Union and will align with the Single Market.

Labour is being totally disengenuous when it says it will still have a seat at the table over decisions made in the EU and it would garner more respect if it came out and told the truth Labour is now a Remaining Party. If Labour has been told by the EU it can ' CHERRY PICK ' then let the voters know. If it had I think Labour would be only too pleased to let the voter know by now.

That takes me back to Corbyn. Corbyn has gone through the lobbies time and time again to vote against the EU. He has spoken for years against the EU, same as the Trade Unions once did, he is not a Remainer by heart and deed but he puts getting a bloody General Election and power above all.

Anniebach Thu 21-Mar-19 11:29:50

No criticism from the alleged principled Corbyn that Momentum was fined for breaching the electoral law

lemongrove Thu 21-Mar-19 14:06:28

Annie that remark from you upthread ( about incompetents) actually made me splurge a mouthful of tea,
So funny.grin That and the oilslick on legs comment.

Anniebach Thu 21-Mar-19 14:07:58

Both are true lemon ?

lemongrove Thu 21-Mar-19 14:09:06

Yes, which makes the comments even better.?

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:12:27

Every time Theresa May is in a real fix and looks extremely incompetent, the focus shifts to Corbyn. It's no coincidence.

Every time anyone wants to discuss Corbyn, in this case starting a thread solely about him, the focus shifts to May. It's no coincidence.

He's what DD would term 'wafty'

jura2 Sat 18-May-19 21:43:41

For the admirers of JC's 'long game' what do you think about it now? Has it worked - has it got us/you where we wanted to be?

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 10:29:52

Said it before and say it again both front benches and both May and Corbyn are utterly charmless incompetent and dreadful

jura2 Sun 19-May-19 10:33:57

Would be particularly interested in hearing from those who said for 2 years ... don't worry, JC is playing a very long game, and he just won't let us go out with No Deal.

Are they still confident? And still confident that he would win in a GE?

jura2 Sun 19-May-19 10:41:23

On Andrew Marr now - blablabla fudge, options, blablabla, perhaps, maybe, blablabla...

lack of clarity Marr says - understatement of the year!

Framilode Sun 19-May-19 11:10:16

I am beginning to hate Corby. He's so firmly on the fence he's got the post stuck up his bum.

Urmstongran Sun 19-May-19 11:34:51

He was such a waffler on the Marr show just now. Never says a sentence when he can spout a paragraph! Clear as mud. Trying to take both sides of the referendum along with him and failing both.

I think his time is nigh.

annodomini Sun 19-May-19 11:42:51

Andrew Marr gave him more time than he gave his other guests and I was no wiser at the end of the interview than I was at the beginning. hmm

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 12:15:04

I have no actual idea what labours policy is on Brexit. And they start every answer with ‘let’s be clear’ grin

quizqueen Sun 19-May-19 12:18:18

I believe that Chukka is not the designated leader of the Independence Group so, I agree, he should not have been invited to the meeting.

Anniebach Sun 19-May-19 12:24:47

When Chuka was invited there was no leader, he was representing the group, if the group elected him to represent them this should have been accepted. It was accepted by all with the exception of Corbyn , so obvious to all it was a personal snub / sulk / tantrum

Grandad1943 Sun 19-May-19 12:44:55

Jeremy Corbyn has resolutely supported the Brexit Policy brought forward by the twelve thousand lay delegates that attended the Labour Movement Annual Delegate conference of last September. As has been stated on this forum many times, that policy is that the parliamentary Labour Party should seek as priority to bring about a General Election and should that not prove possible to then seek a second referendum (Peoples Vote).

Over the months since that policy came into being some in the Parliamentary Labour Party have bid to disregard that policy in favour of more "populist" measures of their choosing. However, to just annul something on the "whim" of a few MPs, when thousands of lay rank and file Labour activists had taken time off work and in that their holiday entitlement to attend that conference and bring forward that Brexit policy is to me totally disgusting and smacks of nothing more than elitism.

That stated, never more than in the last week has it looked more likely that this shambles of a government may have to call a General Election. Then, even with a new leader, this Tory government are likely to find they still cannot get any Brexit solution through the House of Commons, even if that be a "no deal" policy placed before Parliament by Borris (The Buffon) Johson then as Prime Minister.

Therefore, the "seek a General Election as first priority policy" put forward by those lay activists has never looked more likely to be proven to be the correct one, and never has the judgment of the Parliamentary Labour elite (with the exception of Corbyn and some others) been proven to be so wrong.

Should a General Election come about, then much more than Brexit will be debated, and it is already known that many in this country support Labour policies on many issues. A General Election would stop Nigel Farage and his gang of all sorts in their tracks when they had to put forward real policies on any number of matters

trisher Sun 19-May-19 12:58:48

The real question should be how has a government without a proper majority, unable to pass any real legislation, which has tried to buy enough support but basically wasted their money, still cling to power?
I thought Corbyn on Andrew Marr spoke quietly and calmly about trying to get a good deal, and trying to keep the benefits of EU membership but recognising the concerns of those who have suffered economically and who voted leave.

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 13:10:26

The main headache during a GE campaign will be where labour can hide Dianne Abbott and shut her up and ditto Chris failing Grayling for the Tories

jura2 Sun 19-May-19 13:50:19

trisher- yes his voice gets quieter and calmer the more annoyed he becomes - it is so obvious.

Yes, it is good that he is trying to understand why those who are likely to suffer the most, and have suffered the most from austerity- voted leave. But wouldn't it be responsible to admit that they would be the ones to suffer the most if we crash into no deal/WTO.

But do you still believe that there is a deal out there that will give us what Corbyn wants - I've called it cake and eat it with unicorns on top in the past - but let's call it 'customs union' without FOP?

jura2 Sun 19-May-19 13:51:26

Grandad, do you truly believe that LP, with Corbyn at the helm- would have any chance at all of winning?

Elliepops Sun 19-May-19 13:57:54

After last nights debacle surely it's time for us to leave European song contest.
Does anybody know how much it cost us.
Love graham norton but what a load of old none entertaining rubbish.
I watched just a few minutes. Was lucky enough to tune in at the shouty row,not .
Does anybody watch it?

trisher Sun 19-May-19 14:04:10

jura2 I suppose the problem is that (as is obvious in some of the debates on GN) it is virtually impossible to convince Leavers that they are wrong and their ills are not the result of EU membership, the only alternative being to offer them proper economic funding no matter what happens.
I don't believe we should be leaving at all but I can see that sometimes you have to tell people you are trying it their way even if you know things are not as they believe and it won't work. It's a bit like sugar coating a pill to get someone to take nasty medicine.

Elliepops Sun 19-May-19 14:05:43

Silly me.should have started a new thread.ooops

Boosgran Sun 19-May-19 15:20:52

Language please maryeliza54! There really is no need to continually use profanities - you sound so angry. Calm yourself.