Gransnet forums

News & politics

Haves and have nots - Lorraine Kelly

(173 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 21-Mar-19 23:39:29

Every day I work on behalf of people who have the bare minimum, and sometimes not even that, to live on. As would others I know, my husband and I would pay more tax if it meant a more even distribution of wealth in society, but instead we are informed that people who can afford to pay the tax they owe are not subject to the same rules as poorer people.

Lorraine Kelly has won her case and will now pay less tax, but I suggest she has lost her integrity. Her avoidance of paying tax has been ruled legal, but that doesn't make it right.

Once again the rules for the 'haves' are applied unequally to those who are the 'have nots'.

paddyann Fri 22-Mar-19 00:03:17

being able to pay for a good lawyer is beyond most of the country nowadays ,thats the biggest inequality ,justice that is dependent on how much you earn.I'm disgusted at LK and those like her.Ms Kelly appears to have forgotten her roots ,how can you grow up in poverty and object to paying tax to help those who through no fault of their own have landed on hard times .No doubt she'll join the tories next !!Like Michelle Mone another who forgets where she comes from .

quizqueen Fri 22-Mar-19 00:03:31

Just like Richard Branson......
He chooses to be a tax exile because he doesn't want to
pay full taxes to the UK but thinks it's okay to spout out his anti Brexit views. He also chooses to base his company headquarters in Switzerland, a non EU country, to save himself from paying even more taxes to the EU he claims to love and support.

This is how rich people get richer. The way to beat them is to stop buying their products and boycott their business services or appearances.

Dominic Cumberbatch is another. Always campaigning for more money for the 'poor'. Why doesn't he and others like him agree to take minimum wage for his films, which would lead to cinema prices being reduced, then the 'plebs' can enjoy going to see films more often.

Mr Trump is taking a salary of one dollar a year, as President.

mumofmadboys Fri 22-Mar-19 00:16:28

Sorry but who is Lorraine Kelly?

crazyH Fri 22-Mar-19 00:33:58

The TV presenter on ITV at about 8 45 a.m. I think

Ginny42 Fri 22-Mar-19 02:13:16

How bizarre is that judgement? She claimed that when she's on TV she's merely playing a role of herself (Huh?) and is therefor a “theatrical artist” thus making her agent fees tax-deductible. It will be interesting to see who follows suit. What an insult to her viewers who go to work and do the best they can each day and pay their taxes.

I think I've always worked as a persona of who I really am! I certainly have to perform. Think they'd give me a tax rebate?

Ginny42 Fri 22-Mar-19 02:17:01

Oh yes, and she might not really like what she has to present and have to pretend to like the guests and the food she's required to eat in the cookery section.

Ohmother Fri 22-Mar-19 06:13:02

I can’t take her seriously now. I won’t be watching her any more so she can stick her ‘character’.

Anja Fri 22-Mar-19 06:31:16

I’ve never seen her in ‘action’ working under her TV persona but can’t help feeling she’s made a big PR mistake.

gillybob Fri 22-Mar-19 07:08:52

I always liked Lorraine Kelly, she seemed one of the genuine down to earth ones. Just goes to show she is no different from the rest. Money grabbing and using every trick in the book to avoid paying tax. “Persona of who she really is” my ar*e. angry

gillybob Fri 22-Mar-19 07:09:59

Agree about her making a huge PR mistake Anja the public will look at her in a different light now that’s for sure.

megan123 Fri 22-Mar-19 07:34:26

I couldn't agree more with all the comments. I think there will be more of these cases, I did read something a few weeks ago about other TV personalities. What a disgrace, all millionaires, surprising what a good lawyer can come up with in their defence, never heard such nonsense.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Mar-19 07:36:11

She’s definitely scored an own goal here which the general public won’t like. Bit like when David Beckham was heard saying he had expected a knighthood for his charity work.

gillybob Fri 22-Mar-19 07:39:55

At least now I know what DH and I have been doing wrong for over 20 years, paying tax as we are forced to do. Instead of running our company with its own name as we do, we should have called it Gillybob’s and I could have been a persona of my own self ... imagine how much money we could have saved over the years.

Harris27 Fri 22-Mar-19 07:43:09

She's not done herself any favours always says in interviews how down to earth she is and have read about her humble beginnings bet that's not reminded anymore. Don't tell me what I have been....

Grannyknot Fri 22-Mar-19 07:52:18

So the being a "down to earth" interviewer is all part of an act. I've never really liked her as a presenter, felt her jolly approach was rather "put on". Now I know!

petra Fri 22-Mar-19 08:13:14

GrannyKnot
I admit that I felt a little bit smug when I read the article as I always knew she was as false as a 9 bob note.

EllanVannin Fri 22-Mar-19 08:58:18

I've never liked the woman and can't stand ITV and its " plastic people ". Most of these obnoxious " celebrities " have completely forgotten where they came from and I just see greed in everyone one of them.

EllanVannin Fri 22-Mar-19 09:01:04

Speaking of greed, where is this £60 odd million Red Nose money to send to that country which has been devastated by floods ?

MissAdventure Fri 22-Mar-19 09:05:53

It just makes me sick how people who can well afford to pay get away with these things.

Perhaps everyone who uses a persona at work should follow suit.

I suspect people who are struggling to manage (emotionally, financially, physically) should be top of the list.
She is one selfish cow!

Day6 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:10:03

Lorraine Kelly has won her case and will now pay less tax, but I suggest she has lost her integrity

I completely agree grannyactivist

It's disgusting that such a loophole exists and of course it benefits big earners. I could weep when I think of the struggle I had all my working life to keep a roof over our heads, whilst paying taxes and all my dues. Now I am taxed again on my occupational pension.

She's scored an own goal there career wise. I do hope viewers switch off in disgust. (I went off Lorraine Kelly years ago when she kept gushing about how much she 'was loving' certain fashions or reality show celebrities.)

MacCavity2 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:51:40

Not a bit surprised to read this, has been a plastic person for years. I couldn’t stomach that false voice.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:57:38

Her tax deductible agent will ensure she appears at a charity event near you before too long . Her role will be ‘hypocrite raising money for cash starved services because people don’t pay their taxes’.

Dontaskme Fri 22-Mar-19 10:06:25

I work and am a "persona" of who I really am all the time I'm there - do the people I chat with, laugh at their stupid jokes and listen with interest to their boring stories really think I'm being genuine? I'm acting, the same as Lorraine Kelly, and I want my tax back as I need the money, unlike her!

Kalu Fri 22-Mar-19 10:26:47

It appears integrity flies out the window as ego and greed grows.

TV ‘personalities’, footballers etc begin to believe in their inflated sense of self as their bank balance soars to obscene amounts for little effort. It’s certainly not ‘because we’re worth it’

I cringe when I see any of them pleading for charities. This they will readily do as it earns them more money.