Gransnet forums

News & politics

Appalling news about Brexit

(167 Posts)
Lily65 Thu 04-Apr-19 09:38:28

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/04/police-amass-10000-officers-in-preparation-for-no-deal-unrest

I can only assume these people know what they are doing.

Liz46 Thu 04-Apr-19 09:46:43

I don't normally discuss religion or politics but feel like commenting on this.

In the 1970s we both voted not to go into Europe but did not win. We assumed it was a democratic vote and accepted it.

Bit different now.

MaizieD Thu 04-Apr-19 09:55:32

I don't think there was any criminal activity involved in the 1975 referendum. Whereas in 2016 Vote Leave broke the electoral law.

crystaltipps Thu 04-Apr-19 09:59:15

Which type of peope are likely to cause civil unrest? The EDL / UKIP followers of Tommy Robinson? The football fans who now seem to have developed a political wing? The thugs who shout abuse / worse at anyone foreign? Three guesses which camp they will be in.

Rosieroe Thu 04-Apr-19 10:07:20

“Last night, tag-wearing convicted criminal Fiona Onasanya helped a bill designed to frustrate the will of 17.4 million people pass through the Commons by just a single vote.”

Anja Thu 04-Apr-19 10:10:33

Unlike the right wing, tag-wearing convicted thugs whose convictions (plural) are for serious crimes?

maryeliza54 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:10:54

The 1975 referendum was not about joining but about staying - we’ve never had a vote about joining. 67% voted in favour of staying in which could not really be called ‘close’. Not a similar situation at all ( although the Cabinet were split so that was the same?)

maryeliza54 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:15:09

And today it goes to the Lords where there are several convicted criminals who would not have been allowed to remain MPs because of the length of their sentences. She is legally an MP until the recall petition might determine otherwise - so what’s your point Rosie you don’t believe in the rule of law?

jura2 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:20:51

Well I do wonder whether there would be more risk of serious violence on the streets if Article 50 is revoked, or a second vote /a first informed one - would be allowed - or if we leave with 'No Deal'. Only one side has displayed serious violence and threats.

I do believe that the unrest will unfold later if we leave with No Deal, and the very ones who voted to it will be the ones seriously affected- and they come to realise they were sold a very sick pup.

petunia Thu 04-Apr-19 10:25:01

I don't like to comment on political issues at the moment as whichever side you are on, vitriol and scorn is poured down from a great height.

But I did read an interesting article the other day. At the moment, the public voted leave against a background of most MPs firmly believing remain. The article asked what would have happened if the vote was the same percentages, but with remain winning. With the remain MPs now rabidly in favour of leave. We will never know but its an interesting thought none the less

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:32:03

I am breaking my “no Brexit post after 29/03/19” - There were and still are millions of “normal” people who shall be deeply troubled if Brexit is abandoned.

Robinson and EDL are not representative of the leave vote, but are often trotted out by those against leaving the EU as an example of those wanting to leave!!!

If we end up with another referendum? I propose we have a third one after a year so then it would be “best of three” with the proviso that whatever “clowns” are governing (or trying to govern) the UK HAS to abide by the result.

eazybee Thu 04-Apr-19 10:34:40

So, Anja, you don't consider lying to the police, repeatedly, to be a serious crime?

crystaltipps Thu 04-Apr-19 10:39:10

Who are the ones sending death and rape threats to MPs and actively planning to carry out such threats?

paddyann Thu 04-Apr-19 10:39:50

52% of 37% of the electorate voted leave,hardly a "majority" of the people or as TM says "the British people voted to leave" well by my reckoning thats only about one in five that want to leave ,surely common sense must prevail and they have to put it back to the people .IF they gat a decent turnout and a good majority for leave then I believe remainers will accept it.As it is its just not on !!

maryeliza54 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:41:15

eazy it doesn’t matter how any of us view her crime. She is legally entitled to sit as an MP at the moment.

crystaltipps Thu 04-Apr-19 10:44:25

Who is more of a threat - a disgraced MP who has already served a short sentence and surely wont be reselected, or the abusive thugs who are threatening and planning to carry out murder and rape or allowed a big screen in parliament square to spread their hate message?

maryeliza54 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:46:24

Robinson is completely embedded in UKIP ( which tbf to him led to NF leaving but sadly his new party then had to sack its new leader for Robinson type tweets). There are enough leavers of this type to be of serious concern. And it’s not just about number but being prepared to act - and they are.

maryeliza54 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:48:05

And have ( acted that is)

EllanVannin Thu 04-Apr-19 10:48:55

Autosuggestion again by the media------( rolls eyes ) Always their intentions to whip up a frenzy knowing that the public will respond, albeit violently where the Brexiteers are concerned !

maddyone Thu 04-Apr-19 10:55:23

I believe 72.21% of registered voters turned out to vote in the referendum.

maddyone Thu 04-Apr-19 10:57:59

I agree with you Rosie, Fiona Onasanya should not be in the HofC to vote on anything. However, as things stand at the moment, she is allowed I’m afraid.

vigdis Thu 04-Apr-19 11:05:55

@GrannyGravy13
I'm sure Robinson and EDL are not the front-runner spokesmen for the Leave voters, but they are rabble-rousing the less than stable to violence.
And as far as I am aware, the threats of violence, rape and murder have not come from the Remain side.
You cannot ignore such intimidation and threats, there has a,ready been one murder.
If you discuss this issue on Facebook under articles calling for a PV, you will see some Leave voters stating that they support Tommy Robinson, and if you look at their FB profile, you will see some pretty scary stuff.
There are some very dark and nasty elements in the Leave contingent, and I really wonder if all the well-intentioned Leavers are aware of this.

maddyone Thu 04-Apr-19 11:28:20

Sad really isn’t it? I use Facebook to keep in touch with my family and friends, and to post a few pictures of holidays or special occasions. Sometimes (with my children’s permission) I put the odd proud grandma photo on of my grandchildren. I don’t believe Facebook is really for the pushing of political ideas, or for nasty groups to propagate their views.

vigdis Thu 04-Apr-19 11:35:04

I have the feeling this news will be passed off as 'scaremongering' by the blowhard Leavers, in spite of the fact that there is evidence everywhere that some - and I emphasise 'some' - Brexiters are spoiling for a fight.
The fact this news is reported in The Guardian will be sufficient, for some, to dismiss it out of hand.
In my humble opinion, nothing short of actually experiencing the disorder and chaos that must, inevitably, follow a No-Deal Brexit to some degree, will persuade the more die-hard Brexiters that these reports are in fact not scaremongering.
And who will get the blame? Those that commit crimes, those that encouraged them, the thugs and racists bent on some dictatorship-type of government? I doubt it...
There are sane Brexiters - I've met them... I wish they'd speak up more and not just adopt the 'nothing-to-do-with-me' attitude.
An outright condemnation in Government circles from devout Brexiteers would be useful, instead of the somewhat emotive and prejudiced rhetoric from the likes of Johnson.

lemongrove Thu 04-Apr-19 11:35:49

To get back to the OP.......police won’t be needed because we will leave with a deal, not without one.
Of course though, all preparations are needed.... until they are not needed.All situations have to be prepared for.