Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU elections

(251 Posts)
varian Fri 05-Apr-19 18:45:04

Higher proportion of UK voters say they would vote in EU election than turned out in the 2014 election!!!

news.sky.com/story/european-parliament-elections-a-quarter-of-public-would-boycott-poll-11685011

In 2014 very few voters were concerned about our membership of the EU. Thanks to Farage and the leave campaign liars we are now all much more aware of the issue. If leave voters want to boycott the EU elections. so be it.

Cindersdad Sat 06-Apr-19 11:15:36

I tend to speak to REMAINER friends but polls like this concern me. The population still does not seem to have grasped the implications of leaving the EU. If we have European Parliament Elections they will at least give an indication of the mood in the country. Turnout for these has generally been low so a boycott of 26% is about average. The worry is a possible boost for UKIP though I hope for a marked increase in LibDems and other pro EU parties.

Whatever happens we need a People's Vote to remain or leave on the deal/nodeal as negotiated. This time run with no lies.

Teetime Sat 06-Apr-19 13:54:47

No lies. Really? You hope for No Lies from politicians.

I cant decide how to register my disgust at having to have these gravy train elections. I dont want or need an MEP -they haven't done me any good so far. I dont want to waste even more money on these elections when I voted to LEAVE - fully understanding what I was voting for and wondering why I am not getting it. Do I spoil the paper, write rude words on it, set fire to it and cause a rumpus at the polling booth? Yes I like the last one best.

mcem Sat 06-Apr-19 14:02:31

Bring them on. Very pleased that Scotland has an excellent representative in Alyn Smith.

varian Sun 07-Apr-19 13:56:06

If anyone voted to leave FULLY understanding what they were voting for, then that unique person has a duty to explain to everyone else all the intricacies of trade treaties, tariffs, international law, the Good Friday agreement, how to control borders, immigration, investment, WTO rules, funding and staffing the NHS, etc etc.

In spite of other leave voters making this claim, no-one has managed it so far.

yggdrasil Sun 07-Apr-19 17:26:29

We have several good MEPs here in the SouthWest, mainly Molly Scott Cato.
Teetime: will you answer what Varian said?

Alima Sun 07-Apr-19 17:36:31

Completely agree with you Teetime. yggdrasil, could you list what good your good MEPs do. (Not another link please, too tiresome).

Day6 Sun 07-Apr-19 18:42:53

Well, one has to hope the Brexit Party does well.

If we have to have MEPs let's make them ones working for all those who voted to leave the EU.

Millions in the UK are now politically homeless as the two main parties are doing all in their power to ensure we remain in the EU. They do not care for the British public or the mandate given to the government to remove the UK from the EU.

I have been sent the link to the Brexit Party. (It is a one issue party.) I may well join, if that is the only way I am able to protest at the way in which our politicians have deceived us and ignored us. I hope millions of UK voters do the same, because there is little else we can do to show our anger at being betrayed.

sodapop Sun 07-Apr-19 19:24:26

I am in agreement too teetime

jura2 Sun 07-Apr-19 19:25:42

Oh the irony again- people are complaining about being asked to vote for those pesky unelected MEPs.

mcem Sun 07-Apr-19 20:07:05

Betrayed? Lies, overspending and red buses?

Day6 Sun 07-Apr-19 22:11:12

Lies, duplicity, U-turns, scorn...from our politicians on all sides, Corbyn doing a complete about face and casting off his anti-EU principles completely. Shameful behaviour.

Yes. Lies.

Caledonai14 Mon 08-Apr-19 12:34:37

We are lucky to have Alyn Smith.

paddyann Mon 08-Apr-19 12:46:05

We need to check if the old very old, law still stands where all Scots are entitled to french citizenship.I'll happily be allied to France I like their style and their publican status .If Bercow can call on laws from before the Union why shouldn't we ?Would solve our EU problem in one go

paddyann Mon 08-Apr-19 12:47:00

REPUBLICAN ,I'm TT so publican doesn't work.This flamin keyboard !!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 08-Apr-19 13:48:39

I am sincerely keeping every finger and toe crossed, and hoping that we have a "Brexit MEP" candidate in my area.

We live in the second largest leave voting area in the UK and have been totally "shafted" despite the best, efforts of our very good MP.

Daddima Mon 08-Apr-19 13:53:47

I’ll be interested to see how all the ‘leavers’ who object to being governed by the unelected parliament in Brussels will vote!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 08-Apr-19 14:12:29

Daddyma I hope they do vote.

Jabberwok Mon 08-Apr-19 19:01:11

Goodness Paddyann! France has hideously high taxes, controls its citizens with water cannon and tear gas, even threatening live ammunition, tolerate appalling refugee camps, forbid some of their citizens the right to wear their traditional dress, and still have overseas territories,hence their reticence about Gibraltar!! I find it hard to believe you approve of all the above?!!

petra Mon 08-Apr-19 19:20:23

Daddima
I shall be offering transport to all the Leave voters who want to vote but can't get to the polling station. That's my answer to you.

Dinahmo Mon 08-Apr-19 19:22:51

Daddima- The EU Parliament comprises 751 elected members from 28 states which, of course, includes the UK. There are 3 main institutions, the [parliament, the Council and the Commission. The president of the former is elected by the MEPs. The 2 latter are appointed by national leaders. This includes the Prime Minister. The Council defines the general political direction and priorities of the EU. The Commission promotes the general interest of the EU bu proposing and enforcing legislation and implementing policies and the EU Budget.

Like many other Leavers you are incorrect in your statement that the Brussels parliament is unelected. We, the British public voted for MEPS. Both the Council and the Commission are appointed by heads of state. I suppose you could argue that our current PM was not elected when she first became PM but was elected at the last election.

On another note, the Leavers on here still don't come up with facts apart from the one that they cling to. They won, but by a tiny majority. The rest of the time it is IMO and I believe.

varian Mon 08-Apr-19 19:23:02

You may inadvertantly transport a sensible person who votes remain. The polling booth is private.

varian Mon 08-Apr-19 19:26:57

Our elections to the EU parliament are scheduled for 23rd May. Last date for candidates to be nominated is 24th April.

Jabberwok Tue 09-Apr-19 09:59:25

I understand that curfew when completing a prison sentence in the community is from 7pm-7am. How then could an MP under such a curfew be able to vote in the H of C way after her curfew restriction, The referendum was a narrow margin, but this vote went through on one rather doubtful vote and is considered perfectly valid, which I'm sure someone on here will tell me it is, so why the constant carping about the narrowness of the referendum vote, but an equally narrow vote in the H of C is absolutely fine?!!

jura2 Tue 09-Apr-19 10:23:38

When are the WTO elections?