Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bombing in Sri Lanka

(101 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Apr-19 11:17:38

It is now reported there are 156 dead and 400 wounded by the 8 bomb attacks on churches and hotels. How can anyone bring themselves to indiscriminately kill and injure so many people going about their daily lives. The attacks were on Christian churches during Easter services and tourist hotels. It is being reported they were terrorist attacks carried out by religious extremists.

I don't care how or who you worship - nothing justifies this sort of action.

TerriBull Sun 21-Apr-19 11:20:28

Absolutely terrible news and on Easter Sunday too but it would be awful whenever. Does anyone know who is behind it ?

As you say Oldwoman, nothing justifies this sort of action.

gillybob Sun 21-Apr-19 11:32:18

From reports that I have read it seems the fact that it is Easter Sunday is deliberate Terribull it is so devastating. Poor people .

gillybob Sun 21-Apr-19 11:36:16

Sri Lankan defence minister Ruwan Wijewardane has said the culprits behind the Easter Sunday bombings had been “identified”

This would suggest that they have been Identified but it has not been made public as yet.

TerriBull Sun 21-Apr-19 13:27:54

Yes as you say gilly very sad on Easter Sunday. I thought the opposing factions in Sri Lanka were the Sinhalese and the Tamils I wasn't aware of any animosity towards the Christian community.

LullyDully Sun 21-Apr-19 14:27:06

Just pointless and very wicked.

Willow10 Sun 21-Apr-19 15:16:20

What is it about religion that breeds such hatred and sickening violence?

gillybob Sun 21-Apr-19 15:22:56

I can’t understand it either willow sad

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 15:31:01

Oldwoman70
Well...it's clear that those people don't share your views, isn't it?
It has to show that my views in religion are correct. There will always be wars between religions as there will be disagreements and unrest between races and football teams and any number of polar opposites...even in politics.
It's been so since the dawn of time and will be ever thus, so I don't know why you're so surprised.

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 15:31:35

in on religion

Jane10 Sun 21-Apr-19 15:45:21

I'm surprised as ever. I simply can't understand why a person/people could do such a thing to other people. That's people's parents, children, spouses etc etc. Do these bombers not have families of their own? Can they not even imagine the pain they cause? Are they all psychopaths?

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 15:54:00

Jane10
these people are the very kind who send their children, both boys and girls, into public places, with suicide vests strapped to their tiny bodies and do all they do in the name of their god.
Their way is not our way and you must have seen and read of the many atrocities perpetrated in the name of various gods over the years.
You cannot understand their rationale any more than they can yours.

Jane10 Sun 21-Apr-19 15:58:24

No religion endorses such cruelty.
Its people who choose to do it.

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 16:11:46

I agree that no religion endorses wars but religion is man-made.
The very first people on the planet didn't know anything about religion. Religion didn't exist.
Women don't normally start wars, it's men imposing their ideals and views and ways of living on everyone who is outside their circle.
Red will never be blue nor white be black but opposites will always try to make the other 'see sense' and agree to follow their path.
It will never happen, just as I will never be a believer and a dyed in the wool Christian will never become an atheist.

Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Apr-19 16:17:09

Gabriella I didn't say I was surprised - I am sad. Many people get great solace from religion it is only a fanatical few who choose to "punish" those who don't agree with their view.

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 16:45:57

I agree that it is a minority but those minorities have a major and devastating impact on the lives of those who live in reasonably peaceable harmony with the rest of mankind.
As in other aspects of life, the few spoil it for the many.
Christians praying for those lives lost are mourning in vain.
Prayers are and never have had any effect because, if they did, we'd have no dissent or wars in the 21c, no illness or injury, no untimely deaths.
It's very sad but nonetheless it's a fact.

Jane10 Sun 21-Apr-19 16:52:47

There is research evidence for the power of prayer. Life is not as black and white as you present it.
Most people are decent and do their best for others. We tend only to hear of the evil few.

sunseeker Sun 21-Apr-19 17:13:25

GG54 You say prayers never have any effect - some years ago I was in hospital awaiting an operation for cancer - I was very afraid. I prayed - not to be cured but to have the strength and courage to face whatever came. I immediately felt a sense of peace flooding my entire body. So prayer worked for me.

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 17:43:35

sunseeker
I'm glad you found comfort in prayer at a time when you felt afraid but it was just comfort.
That is not said to minimise the psychological effect of prayer at a time of need.
I was referring to prayer having no effect on the outcome of illness or wars or anything
There will always be a positive and a negative but IMO and scientifically, neither can be attributed to prayer although it gives some people comfort to think that way...which I can understand.
I believe...in myself.

Anniebach Sun 21-Apr-19 18:46:57

It is not religion which causes these atrocities, it is man.

Science cannot determined the power of prayer.

mumofmadboys Sun 21-Apr-19 18:58:46

GG54 you present your opinions in a rather arrogant way which is insensitive and disrespectful to believers. It is especially disrespectful on Easter Day. Perhaps you need to think before you post and possibly say IMHO rather than attempt to state things as facts.

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 19:32:34

mumofmadboys
I actually wrote IMO and I'm happy with the way I couched my post.
IMO, my views have as much validity as yours and, as a non-believer, Easter day has no meaning for me.
If it has for you, then may I suggest that you don't read my posts.
Can I suppose that you deny anyone whose religion (or lack of it) clashes with Christianity or any other, has no right to think differently and you erroneously assume that I am not entitled to respect simply because I am not religious?

Anniebach Sun 21-Apr-19 19:52:02

It isn’t a case of thinking differently, it’s lack of respect for those who think differently to you Gabriella, it is not difficult to air your views with courtesy, do try it, doesn’t hurt

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 19:58:46

Tell me Anniebach what was disrespectful about my post?
Aren't you disrespecting my views?
I shouldn't have to be humble simply because you have a different opinion.
Have a care about those who don't believe, there is room for all.

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 20:02:33

...and please don't lecture me about respect. I didn't address any of my comments to you nor did I diss Christianity.
I'm allowed to disbelieve as much as you are allowed to believe. Your faith does not trump my atheism.