Gransnet forums

News & politics

Poor Jeremy Hunt

(34 Posts)
trisher Sun 21-Apr-19 20:18:17

his accountant has let him down by forgetting to register his interest in a company which bought 7 flats at a knock-down price. This of course had nothing to do with his relationship with the flats developer who just happened to have donated £50,000 to Mr Hunt's constituency Tory party. But of course they hardly knew each other. There now don't you feel sorry for him????
www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/18/jeremy-hunt-investigated-breach-money-laundering-rules-luxury-flats

Lily65 Sun 21-Apr-19 20:21:44

As I have said previously, I forgot I had a tin of tomatoes and bought another.

I reckon I would know if I had bought property.

Iam64 Sun 21-Apr-19 20:24:14

I forgot to open the patio sliding glass door so walked into it earlier. No harm done - we all forget things under pressure, poor old Jeremy *unt

maryeliza54 Sun 21-Apr-19 20:26:37

And poor old BJ forgot about a share he owned in a house and royalties from a book. Still never mind, it’s not as if either of them wanted to be anything important is it?

sodapop Sun 21-Apr-19 20:31:04

And Diane Abbot 'forgot' the no alcohol rule on the train,

Lily65 Sun 21-Apr-19 20:43:15

the Abbot thing is a pathetic non story.

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 20:45:00

Iam64
Not clever.
It just shows the calibre of the writer.

paddyann Sun 21-Apr-19 21:35:42

look we know they're all on the fiddle ..well most of them so why the surprise at this? Mr Hunt is just like many others who believe he's above the law .. and sadly the governmnet will let it go and nothing will be done about him,or any of the others falsifying accounts etc .Its the Westminster way dontcha know ?

Anniebach Sun 21-Apr-19 21:41:32

Shame on him.

Can’t say shame on Abbott, perhaps the alcohol was a need

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 21:43:18

Jeremy Hunt did a sterling job as Health Secretary and for the longest time.
He's always been available to his constituents and his secretary, Heather, will pass on concerns and respond in a very short timescale.
He is my MP and we are the better for having him.

trisher Sun 21-Apr-19 22:04:10

A sterling job as Health Secretary Well I suppose it depends on your definition of sterling
Under his reign, we have seen the first all-out strikes by medical staff in NHS history, lengthening waiting times for cancer care as well as accident and emergency, and most recently – to use Hunt’s own words – “probably the worst ever” NHS winter crisis.
Maybe he forgot he was in charge.

maryeliza54 Sun 21-Apr-19 22:09:07

What are you on tonight GG? A sterling job as health secretary? We are rolling in the aisles?????

mumofmadboys Sun 21-Apr-19 22:37:04

JH alienated all the doctors and caused an all time low in morale.

GabriellaG54 Mon 22-Apr-19 00:40:38

I so agree with you ME and MOMB.
Is the present incumbent doing as well as you hoped?

trisher Mon 22-Apr-19 09:35:45

Never hope for anything from a Tory health minister. That way you can't be disappointed.

jura2 Mon 22-Apr-19 10:01:58

GG54 - even if we agreed that he has been a good MP and Health Secretary (!?!?!?!) - how would that make it ok for him to have 'forgotten' he has bought 7 luxury flats? Tax evasion is wrong, for him too.

BTW, it seems Mr May's Company is being inverstigated for its tax evasion/avoidance too.

Urmstongran Mon 22-Apr-19 10:11:51

Anecdote from Adam Kay, the ex hospital doctor who wrote the best seller ‘This is Going to Hurt. I read it last year and found it funny and heartbreaking in equal measures.

A newspaper article said:
“Adam had a fractious meeting with Jeremy Hunt, then Health Secretary and now Foreign Secretary. JH got sick of Adam’s fans sending him copies of the book and called him in for a chat. ‘He is very slick, very clever,’ recalls Adam. ‘I had half a decade of questions I wanted to ask him but first he wanted to tell me his side of the story. I don’t know why he would think that I would change my mind.

‘When I started to ask my questions he eventually snapped: “What is this, an interrogation? I thought I was inviting you for a nice chat.” ’

‘I told him I didn’t come for a nice chat — I came because he invited me. From that point on it became like that moment you know you are in big trouble with your other half and all they will say is, “yes”, “no”, “fine”. It got to that stage of awkwardness. It was horrible. Eventually I said: “I am really sorry if I came across nicer in the book than I do in real life.” He said: “Oh no, you have been quite consistent.” ’

?

paddyann Mon 22-Apr-19 10:32:31

surely the whole point is if any Joe Bloggs didn't pay tax he'd be locked up at Her maj's pleasure ....why IS it different for the (un)Honourable members of parliament ?

whywhywhy Mon 22-Apr-19 10:36:28

These are the people who "think" they can tell us what to do! I despair! Bring on the gin and tonic!

Callistemon Mon 22-Apr-19 10:36:49

I expect he is so busy with affairs of state and being a good constituency MP that he forgets mundane things like owning flats and whether his wife is Japanese or Chinese.

Mycatisahacker Mon 22-Apr-19 10:41:15

I think the vast majority of them are on the fiddle though. All sides don’t bear scruitiny really if you recall the expenses scandal.

Urmstongran Mon 22-Apr-19 10:44:29

You’re probably right Mycat
They probably all start out in good faith then as is said ‘power corrupts’.

Mycatisahacker Mon 22-Apr-19 10:53:40

Yep they get thinking they are above the law and personalities in their own right rather than servants of the electorate.

You can see that over Brexit. On all sides of the debate.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:05:17

There is tax avoidance and tax evasion one is illegal one is legal but morally wrong.

JH has in all probability got an excellent account who had buried the purchases in JHs set of accounts in the hope that it could remain "hidden in plain sight" so to speak.

Not defending him by the way, as MPs should have a little bit more common sense and hopefully a respectful moral compass????

Mind you if the last 3 years are anything to go by the majority of the HofP and Hof L can be found sadly lacking in both of these!!!!

Urmstongran Mon 22-Apr-19 11:17:16

Agreed GG13 those with huge amounts of money know how to hang onto it. Good tax advisers must be worth their high fees to those who use them.

It’s always poor Joe Soap taxed at source by PAYE who by default always pay their fair share!