Gransnet forums

News & politics

Visit of Trump

(314 Posts)
maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:31:49

Hating Trump - or more accurately everything he stands for, is not a new fashion at all maddy. Where have you been ? Do I take it from your comment that you’re a Trump admirer?

Jane10 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:28:18

I just cannot understand how 'Trump fans' exist!
Send him down the Mall. Let the great British public show what they think of him. (Keep the Queen in a separate car though, don't want to get her covered in rotten eggs and worse!)

M0nica Wed 24-Apr-19 07:24:42

He will get his ride up the Mall, they have said that will happen, but no golden coach. He will be in an ordinary open landau. A bit like a tumbril and probably equally uncomfortable.

Anja Wed 24-Apr-19 07:12:50

absenr I’ll certainly be interested to watch their reactions.

absent Wed 24-Apr-19 07:10:05

Anja I suspect that your brother-in-law and nephew will be somewhat surprised.

Anja Wed 24-Apr-19 06:52:15

Oh no! I have my American BiL and nephew staying during his visit. They are both Trump fans and I’d hoped to avoid any mention of the Moron. Now it won’t be possible. Perhaps it might be an eye opener for them if they see the reaction to him in the UK and in the media.

Nannytopsy Wed 24-Apr-19 06:33:23

Security risk? Send him down the Mall in it in splendid, egotistical isolation!! grin

absent Wed 24-Apr-19 04:50:39

I don't think you can blame Buckingham Palace. I think the invitation comes from Number 10 in the first place and HM has no choice in the matter. She has to put up with it but other members of the Royal Family can decide to have nothing to do with him. I wouldn't blame any of them for absenting themselves, especially the Prince of Wales after Trump's frat-boy comments about his late wife and the instructions about "not allowing" the P of W to talk about climate change and ecology before the previous (aborted) planned state visit. I doubt if he'll get to ride in a golden coach up the mall – a reported earnest desire of Trump's – because said coach is an extremely uncomfortable ride and HM is getting on in years. It's probably too great a security risk too.

Nannytopsy Wed 24-Apr-19 03:37:39

I hope to protest this time in London. Any witty sayings for my placard please?

janipat Wed 24-Apr-19 00:57:30

* saying the day before.

janipat Wed 24-Apr-19 00:55:52

If it was only dementia it wouldn't be so bad, but the man is an habitual liar, egotist, racist, misogynist and climate change denier. Beautiful clean coal anyone? He is so deluded that he thinks if he says it, it will be accepted as gospel, even if it's the exact opposite of what he was captured on video saying. It's frightening that so many Americans are completely sucked in by him.

maddyone Wed 24-Apr-19 00:25:48

You’re probably right on that paddy.

paddyann Wed 24-Apr-19 00:05:54

I dont HATE Trump.he scares the wits out of me,this man who cant string a sentence together has his finger on the nuclear button.WHY is what i want to know ? The man is clearly deranged or has early dementia .

maddyone Tue 23-Apr-19 23:43:50

Well Trump has been invited by those at Buckingham Palace to come to Britain for an official state visit. So we can all forget about Brexit, and stop wringing our hands in dismay at Farage and his antics, and we can turn our attention towards a new fashion, hating Trump.

Discuss.