Gransnet forums

News & politics

Visit of Trump

(315 Posts)
maddyone Tue 23-Apr-19 23:43:50

Well Trump has been invited by those at Buckingham Palace to come to Britain for an official state visit. So we can all forget about Brexit, and stop wringing our hands in dismay at Farage and his antics, and we can turn our attention towards a new fashion, hating Trump.

Discuss.

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 16:49:13

so low

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 16:48:35

The answer is simple. We’ve known about these regimes eg Saudi and China for ages and have no better expectations of them. Nasty and corrupt all the way through.

We had expected better of the POTUS. Yes, there have been some corrupt and odd ones eg Nixon and Bush, but there have also been amazing ones too eg Obama.

Never, however, have any of them sunk to low on all fronts that the current holder.

Jabberwok Sat 27-Apr-19 16:41:55

Sorry, I thought the first post hadn't gone through!!!!

Jabberwok Sat 27-Apr-19 16:41:18

It's the Crown Prince of Saudi that runs things, not the King!

Jabberwok Sat 27-Apr-19 16:40:20

Its the Crown Prince not the king of Saudi that calls the shots in that country!!

Jabberwok Sat 27-Apr-19 16:38:53

Isn't it strange that anyone pointing out the downside of the Chinese regime or any totalitarian regime come to that, is met with a deafening silence. Yet the mention of some other governments is met with self righteous indignation. Why are some awful governments ok, and others not?!!

maddyone Sat 27-Apr-19 16:38:41

Not to mention the King of Saudi Arabia.

lemongrove Sat 27-Apr-19 15:26:07

EllanVannin yes, people need to see the bigger picture instead of revelling in their own self righteousness.
It seems to be a feature on forums though.

lemongrove Sat 27-Apr-19 15:22:26

It makes me laugh that anyone could think that it’s fine to meet the Chinese Leader and attend a banquet ( like Corbyn did) but draws the line at DT.Or how any poster on GN think that it’s fine to host Chinese leaders but not the POTUS.
It makes me wonder if they know much about China’s regime at all!

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 15:18:50

Callistemen yes, too many poking their noses into other people’s lives, I agree. Many with ‘advice’ which wasn’t asked for!

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 15:17:06

Keep to the point EV this thread is about Trump and your own post offered the US up in role of ‘saviour in two World Wars’.

PS wasn’t Blair just appeasing his Overlord in the White House anyway?

annodomini Sat 27-Apr-19 15:14:28

It's true that the Blair/Bush action in Iraq was in most respects disastrous. However, when Blair is lambasted for this futile policy, it is largely forgotten that his intervention in the civil war in Sierra Leone was undeniably successful.
I'm no apologist for Blair, but credit where credit is due.

www.theguardian.com/world/2010/apr/18/sierra-leone-international-aid-blair

Callistemon Sat 27-Apr-19 14:53:59

Betty Boothtoyd has no right to speak out against a man following his conscience. She is long retired.
I take it that is tongue-in-cheek Anja! It was very funny grin

I expect many of us are long retired but we certainly seem to have plenty to say on the subject.

IMO as a retired person Betty Boothroyd is right to speak out and right in what she says.

If there are lots of dinners going spare because people seem to be turning down their invitations, perhaps they could invite Greta Thunberg and Caroline Lucas who could sit either side of him.

trisher Sat 27-Apr-19 13:51:54

EllanVannin have you really looked at Trump's policies, it is hardly likely he will rush to our aid. His policies as regards Iran and Israel are aggravating not calming the situation. Just remember how long it took in WW2 for the US to take action and it was only Pearl Harbour that bought them into the war. The US only acts when it is under threat.

EllanVannin Sat 27-Apr-19 13:51:28

And we haven't interfered in other countries, Anja ??
Remember Blair with Iraq ? From 2003 we as a country have suffered the backlash of terrorism ever since.

Jabberwok Sat 27-Apr-19 13:48:36

I don't think there was much dragging after P.H, More like baying for revenge!!

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 13:41:51

I would say that in truth the US has caused much of the present terrorism by its interference in the politics of other countries.

Who put Saddam Hussain in power in the first case? Who sold arms to right wing rebels to overthrow a democratically elected government because they didn’t like their left wing views?

Who had to be dragged into WW2 to support their ‘allies’ and only then after Pearl Harbour?

EllanVannin Sat 27-Apr-19 13:35:19

Nobody has to like DT but for goodness sake look at the bigger picture !!

EllanVannin Sat 27-Apr-19 13:32:07

Nothing to do with "chlorinated chicken or inferior beef" but more to do with the US being " on-side " should there ever be conflict in this country !! We haven't exactly got a good track record for avoiding terrorist attacks either home or abroad have we ? One of those murderers responsible for the Sri-Lankan atrocity was" educated " in this country and should these fanatics retain their wishes to rule the world I for one would be only too grateful to have the USA on our side. Wouldn't you ? Do you know of any other large country/state who would stand by our side ?

trisher Sat 27-Apr-19 13:28:07

Or they could invite him to address the House and leave just as he arrives.

kittylester Sat 27-Apr-19 13:14:36

As someone said on TV this morning Corbyn is supposed to be the leader of her Majesty's Loyal Oposition.

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 13:00:44

Actually I think Trump ought to be allowed to address a televised House. There’s too much Doom ‘n Gloom in the news and we could do with a good laugh.

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 12:56:28

From that role to the Lords.

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 12:45:18

Trade deal MaizieD? Who wants US chlorinated chicken and inferior beef products? Neither you nor I.

Betty Boothtoyd has no right to speak out against a man following his conscience. She is long retired.

Jabberwok Sat 27-Apr-19 12:38:56

Instituting change?!! Well, I certainly haven't heard that China is about to embrace democracy, release political prisoners, establish any semblance of animal protection against appalling cruelty, ref Yulin so called festival, to quote just one of many horrors. China may be establishing capitalism, but under an iron fist! but I guess the left can overlook all that!
As for the Royal Family, I guess you're talking about Edward V111th? We do talk about it, in fact there have been quite a few documentaries that do the rounds. 'Edward on Edward' is well worth watching, particularly that controversial salute!!