News & politics

The priest at Lyras funeral

(263 Posts)
Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 17:43:03

Got a standing ovation. Very deserved. Good on him

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 17:46:03

I’ve got mixed feelings about this

phoenix Wed 24-Apr-19 17:47:35

It seems that everyone who spoke, spoke well, and Waddell received.

Can we just hope that the message will get across? I fervently hope so, but somehow doubt it sad

phoenix Wed 24-Apr-19 17:48:32

Bugger auto correct! "was well" received!

phoenix Wed 24-Apr-19 17:49:54

In what way, maryeliza54 ?Not like you to leave a cliff hanger post!

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 17:49:57

But is it just about the political as incredibly important as that is? Did you read her letter to her 14 year old self

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 17:53:53

Why Maryeliza

No I havnt read that off to do so now.

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 17:55:04

I hope so too phoenix god knows we can’t go back to those dark days surely.

jura2 Wed 24-Apr-19 17:58:25

Arlene did not seem impressed - and I don't think she wanted to get up, or clap ... sadly.

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 17:59:46

‘Three months before your 21st birthday, you will tell Mum the secret. You will be sobbing and shaking and she will be frightened because she doesn’t know what’s wrong. Christmas will be just a couple of weeks away. You have to tell her because you’ve met someone you like and you can’t live with the guilt any more. You can’t get the words out so she says it: “Are you gay?” And you will say, “Yes Mummy, I’m so sorry.” And instead of getting mad, she will reply “Thank God you’re not pregnant”.

You will crawl into her lap, sobbing, as she holds you and tells you that you are her little girl and how could you ever think that anything would make her love you any less? You will feel like a prisoner who has been given their freedom. You will remember all the times you pleaded with God to help you because you were so afraid, and you will feel so foolish because you had nothing to worry about.’

The church contributed to her feeling like that. This priest would never have blessed or celebrated her loving relationship with her partner. If an institution won’t accept individuals lovng each other, what right does it have to tell politicians how to behave?

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 18:00:17

I just watched the film. Omg!! So heartbreaking. I wonder how those now grown up class mates feel? One of the most touching films I have ever seen. Thankfully her family were decent and accepted her.

Another reason to resist the protests against educating kids about different sexualities and life styles

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 18:01:34

Ah I see your reservations now. Yes you have made a very good point maryeliza

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 18:03:42

And another reason for the church to be the church of love not homophobia .

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 18:04:16

Are things changing on the Catholic Church do you think?

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 18:05:01

I mean is it tacitly ok or outright condemned? Neither is good of course

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 18:07:29

Thanks cat - I hope I’ve explained my mixed feelings. Like many on here I have several gay friends in loving relationships and really cannot accept the right of any religion to want to deny their right to love.

Anniebach Wed 24-Apr-19 18:09:06

The funeral was held in an Anglican Church

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 18:13:03

I may be old fashioned but I didn’t think one clapped in church?

Times have changed.

Alexa Wed 24-Apr-19 18:14:58

The priest was superb and said what all right thinking people want to hear.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 18:15:34

Arlene only stood up when she was nudged to do so. And she didn’t join in the clapping.

Body language eh jura2?

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 18:18:06

‘Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that ‘homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered’. They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved” (Catechism 2357).’

Try growing up gay and RC with that

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 18:23:30

The priest was RC - I don’t think the place where he spoke changed what he believes

jura2 Wed 24-Apr-19 18:30:50

maryelisa- now I see what you mean. Did the Priest say that? I didn't see all of it.

My father favourite sister, born 1910, was a devout Catholic and realised as a teenager that she was gay- but suppressed it 'for her faith'. She did eventually fall madly in love in her late 30s - and committed suicide a couple of years later as she could not suppress her feelings any longer - but could not go against the condemnation of the Priests. Of course she must have known that suicide was a crime in their eyes- but she had a nervous breakdown. I never knew her- but she was very talented and had lots of friends who often told me how great she was. I found out she had committed suicide from an aunt in the States only a few years ago, and tried to ask dad- but he denied it and made it clear he didn't want to talk about it. How sad.

Anniebach Wed 24-Apr-19 18:31:29

Lyras was Anglican. And surely her murder not her sexuality was in people’s minds today

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 18:33:01

That's what I was thinking ab. confused