Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit and MEPs?

(105 Posts)
fourormore Fri 26-Apr-19 13:03:48

Forgive me if this has already been asked or if I am totally bonkers and bewildered hmm - I have checked through recent threads and haven't come across anything about it!

We have just received polling cards to vote on 23rd May for MEPs. Am I missing something? As I understand it the Brexit vote means we will be leaving the EEC sometime between now and infinity. Will we still have MEPs?

petra Fri 26-Apr-19 13:50:21

Fourormore
The EEC became the EU in1992.

fourormore Fri 26-Apr-19 13:58:06

Sorry I should have said EU not EEC but my question is the same!

humptydumpty Fri 26-Apr-19 14:12:35

fourormore I think I'm right in saying that if a deal can be agreed for leaving the EU by May22nd, there will be no EU elections; otherwise they have to go ahead under EU regulations.

You may be interested to learn that the LibDems have launched their European election campaign with an unambiguous pledge to stop Brexit (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48064699)

Mycatisahacker Fri 26-Apr-19 14:53:57

If it wasn’t going to cost so much it would be laughable.

varian Fri 26-Apr-19 15:27:17

The cost of our EU membership, including the democratic elections is nowhere near the colossal amount that has been wasted on this brexit nonsense.

fourormore Fri 26-Apr-19 16:49:46

Thanks Humptydumpty that makes sense. The ridiculous thing is that, as we have postal votes, the money will be wasted anyway!
Heaven help us if there is another referendum angry - whatever way the public voted, we can't keep having 're-votes' every time the powers that be don't like the result!
Like everyone else we are sick to death of the whole thing and the amount of money being wasted.
Thanks to you all for sorting out my confusion!!! shock

varian Fri 26-Apr-19 18:24:09

I agree we are sick to death of the whole thing and the way to stop it and get on with what matters is to Revoke Article 50 and focus on what matters. Vote LibDem in the EU elections and stop brexit now.

We've all had enough of this brexit nonsense.

Mycatisahacker Fri 26-Apr-19 20:40:33

I meant the cost of running the election that’s going to cost millions.

Mycatisahacker Fri 26-Apr-19 20:41:27

Well either revoke or leave. Either way it needs ending

Diva12 Sat 27-Apr-19 09:18:07

If you know any E.U. citizens living in the Uk, they are entitled to vote in the E.U. elections, please let them know. But they must register to vote separately by May 7 - it’s not enough that they are on the electoral register. Go here for more info - www.facebook.com/simplepoliticsuk/videos/394482608066822?s=613366102&v=i&sfns=mo

Thanks

Urmstongran Sat 27-Apr-19 10:00:35

I’m with you Mycat
Revoke or Leave. I think we’ve all had enough now!

I’m not entirely sure there will be MEP elections. I think somehow a deal will be cobbled together and get through Parliament at the 11th hour. I think the prospect of Nigel Farage trouncing the other parties will focus minds!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 27-Apr-19 10:27:32

As much chance as pigs flying getting a deal through before the elections. We just need to revoke article 50, save some money and get on with what matters.

varian Sat 27-Apr-19 10:35:17

Exactly. Revoke Article 50. Stop Brexit.

pamdixon Sat 27-Apr-19 10:40:22

As far as I understand it, since Brexit hasn't happened, and we are still part of the EU then we participate in the European Elections whether we like it or not!! Seems crazy, because if Brexit happens, then anyone elected from here to the European Parliament would only be and MEP for a few months. Who to vote for is a different matter - totally different issue from Brexit? I'm also sick to death of what is going on............

varian Sat 27-Apr-19 10:51:54

Vote Liberal Democrat - Stop Brexit

SillyNanny321 Sat 27-Apr-19 10:52:35

Just sick of the whole thing now! Doesnt matter who voted what there will be no Brexit. We will carry on being told what to do by unelected bureacrats in Brussels so why are we even bothering with Brexit? It is a complete farce now. Vote for whichever MEP you like there will be no change in anything only having to pay out more money that could be spent on our own country. I for one am sick of being told I know nothing & should never vote again because of my age by 16+ year olds who have not lived a bit of life yet! So back to OP either vote or dont it will not make any difference. I'm off to my rocking chair & dribbling over myself for the rest of the day because of my terrible old age Lol!!

driverann Sat 27-Apr-19 11:00:28

I must admit that I voted to leave mainly because of immigration. Watching the TV with thousands of immigrants in France waiting to try and find their way in to the UK in the backs of HGVs or anyway they could. However having seen the behaviour of the Brexit bullies in Parliament. I have changed my mind and would now vote to stay in the EU. The EU is far from perfect but where is? No way do I want see those Brexit bullies running our country. They would treat us with contempt and we would regret the day they took over.

Margs Sat 27-Apr-19 11:00:52

My MEPO/EU polling card came sailing through the letterbox yesterday and I've logged it with the re-cycling pile - best place for it!

I voted to leave in the 1975 (?) referendum and ditto in 2016 but nobody listened to me, now did they?

What an absolute pantomime - still, nobody was holding a gun to Missus May's head when she put herself up for election for the No. 10 job.

nahsma Sat 27-Apr-19 11:10:17

sillynanny what is this nonsense about 'being told what to do by unelected bureaucrats'? Your 'unelected bureaucrats' are the EU equivalent of our unelected civil servants. New laws, regulations, etc, are proposed, the necessary wording is provided by the 'unelected bureaucrats' and then votes are taken by MEPs. MEPs are all elected by people like us, all over Europe. So it's finally down to us - the people WE vote for vote on everything that is decided. Unless it's Mr Farrago, who only bothers to turn up if there is a photo-opportunity and has one of the worst attendance/voting records in the European parliament.

maxdecatt Sat 27-Apr-19 11:35:40

The LibDems are up to their old tricks......professing to be a democratic party but in fact doing their best to thwart democracy. At heart they are fascists....."do as we say... or else". Not that it matters, they will be wiped out once and for all if there is an EU election in the UK,, and almpost as likely to be wiped out at the next general election in the UK.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 27-Apr-19 11:44:28

fourormore - all EU member states are required to participate in the elections to the European Parliament. That includes us in the UK if we haven't left the EU by 22nd May.

It is impossible to predict whether the Withdrawal Agreement will be passed by Parliament by the deadline of 22nd May. Just because everyone is bored to the back teeth with the subject of Brexit doesn't mean we should give up and accept a deal disliked by all sides.

If the Tory party had a working majority in Parliament Theresa May might have more chance of getting her deal through but through her usual poor judgment, she chose to hold a General Election in 2017 which led to her party losing its majority. She is incompetent and it is ironic that her party can't get rid of her!

driverann - the immigrants jumping on to the back of lorries in France have nothing to do with the EU. If they were EU citizens they could have come here at any time. They are mainly from Africa and Asia. I agree with the rest of your post though.

jocork Sat 27-Apr-19 11:46:28

I'm with Varian on this. I voted to leave in 1975 but having been in all these intervening years I realised that leaving now would be very damaging. My children's careers could be badly damaged by Brexit. On the day the referendum result was published my DD was away abroad with her work and sent me instructions how to set up skype as she needed to talk face to face. She was in tears!
As for the 'unelected bureaucrats' everyone has such a problem with, nahsma rightly points out we have plenty of our own here in the UK.
There is so much mis-information flying around and so many politicians out for their own self interests making money out of Brexit who don't care about what is happening to the NHS as staff recruitment goes into crisis.
As for Teresa May - she would probably give a great big sigh of relief if Article 50 was revoked. She has tried to 'deliver on the will of the people' but failed as not only is it undeliverable but the 'will of the people' is changing all the time. As someone said, "She was handed a poisoned chalice, then someone pi**ed in it!"

maxdecatt Sat 27-Apr-19 11:48:51

Nahsma, what is this nonsense you spout about voting in the EU.
The proposals may be put together by unelected civil servants and the voting done by the MEP's. Only problem is that the overpopulated and economically basket-case minnow states band together to dictate to the econmically powerful states and demand/receive a far larger share of the cash than their 'contribution' justifies. When something needs to be decided upon the tiniest state can simply veto it and that is that. Democracy is a numbers game,....so that makes the idea of democracy totally incompatible with the centralised ethos of the EU bureaucrats.
People that say Farage is only there for himself need to wake up and listen. He is just about the only MEP that is NOT there for himself. He relishes the idea of leaving the EU and NOT receiving the salary of an MEP. In essence he, in voting to leave, is like a turkey voting for Christmas. Would you vote for your job to be abolished or your pension to be declared nul and void?

maxdecatt Sat 27-Apr-19 11:53:29

VARIAN. So you are a Fascist? In case you do not understand that word it is defined as "a political ideology that dictates to others, is anti-democratic". Come to think of it.... an exact fit with the Lib-Dems. I am sure thatmakes you feel warm and happy?