Gransnet forums

News & politics

Guess Farage policies

(38 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 11:39:57

It occurred to me when answering a post on the Brexit MEP thread, that we (no one) has a clue what Farage policies will be if he actually achieves the nightmare of getting into power.

I am wondering if anyone has any theories of what his policies might be

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 11:41:36

This is one of my ideas copied from another thread

UKIP began to get too toxic (fascist, nationalistic etc) for many of the ordinary punter to stomach. Farage recognised this, even though his friends of choice are white supremiscists and neo-Nazis, changed strategy and denied UKIP. He started a one man party without anyone having the first clue of his intended policies. However if I was a punter my money would definately be on privatising the NHS to start with. That would be the safest bet I will have ever made.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 11:49:00

I also think that one of his first policies will be to reunite with UKIP.

GillT57 Sun 28-Apr-19 12:26:17

I find it terrifying that so many people are so obsessed with getting out of the EU that they will vote for Farage and Anne Widdicombe and other assorted folk with absolutely no idea of their policies on education/health/defence/transport........etc., etc. It is akin to buying a house without knowing how many bedrooms it has, whether it is connected to services; are people so desperate that they will take this leap in the dark? As for voting for UKIP, I would seriously judge anyone who voted for that collection of fascists, racists, homophobes and downright malicious fools. When we see yet another one outed for some outrageous comment or act, I wonder just what the ones who fail the selection process are like given the unpleasantness of those that passed the process.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:09:15

I think the Brexit Party will pick up a lot of disgruntled voters in the European Elections, but doubt very much if they will/would get many in the next General Election.

Wobbles Sun 28-Apr-19 13:10:32

His only policy is to cause chaos and disrupt the EU in their process.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:17:53

wobbles his friend the white supremiscist Steve Bannon, who masterminded Trumps election, is now intent on destroying the EU by uniting the fascists throughout Europe.

This of course would suit Trump very well as he seriously objects to an economic force which is strong enough to stand against him.

One of those policies Farage will adopt will be to join “The Movement” as it has be labelled.

GillT57 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:26:24

Whitewavemark2 truly terrifying as this country sleepwalks into this disaster. It is starting to develop like the 1920 and 1930 period with the rise of nationalism and division within nations. Meanwhile, the poorer get poorer and blamed for it happening, and the rich get richer.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:36:01

You have to ask where Farage is getting his funding.

Then ask in whose interests is he operating?

Unless you actively support a fascist agenda, why would you support Farage?

trisher Sun 28-Apr-19 13:37:46

It's quite simple his first policy will be to identify a section of the population that he can blame for all the economic problems that Brexit will bring. He will then place restrictions on those people, at first quite innocuous ones but they will become increasingly restrictive. He will then make a ridiculous promise to all working people (deposit on houses, cheap car, something like that). Then he will identify a terrorist threat and move the targetted group (most likely Muslims) to a secure location........ and so it begins.

GillT57 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:38:20

Indeed WWavemark2. Has anyone asked where his funding comes from? Shall do a quick google.

MaizieD Sun 28-Apr-19 13:42:48

It was claimed on twitter that he was being crowdfunded...

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:42:57

trisher that is possibly too ghastly to contemplate

GillT57 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:45:16

well, according to his LBC interview, his funding is from the 70,000 new members who paid £25 each, plus a mystery donor who he will not name. I think the most frightening part of this is that 70,000 people think joined this fascist's party. He said that the donor was neither Banks nor Bannon, but frankly, I am not sure I believe him.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:45:50

Does anyone know what level of donation can be given without the need to declare the donor?

Only I read that he’s receiving bucket loads of donations for £499. I guess that must be significant, but most is apparently coming from the USA. The trouble is I forgot where I read it so can’t give a reference. Did anyone else see that?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:47:50

Giving that the BP is entirely controlled by Farage with no input from any other individual, it would be difficult to get transparency.

GillT57 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:49:52

Trisher although I wish to avoid accusations of exaggeration and/or hysteria, that is how Hitler started. Tell people that their lives are awful because of the Jews/Muslims/Gays/Blacks (delete as appropriate) and off it starts, people have a focus for their frustrations and it isn't on those that caused it ie the government. We can already see this with some of the right wing press with their demonisation of the poor, of people on benefits, articles about 'benefit cheats' stirring up righteous indignation.

GillT57 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:50:39

I note that those GN members who have praised him are rather silent in their support this afternoon.

maryeliza54 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:16:19

On an interview today on LBC he said he had received one very large donation but wouldn’t say who from. Transparency and democracy don’t you just love it?

GillT57 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:21:35

Yup, Maryeliza54 just like 'taking back control' as long as it is not control of women's own bodies ( according to Ann Widdicombe)

MaizieD Sun 28-Apr-19 14:29:43

Under PPERA ( Political Parties,Elections and Referendums Act) anything with a value of £500 or less is not a donation.

So doesn't have to be declared or recorded

when you receive a donation, you must check that you can accept it, record it and in certain cases, report it to us.

From the Electoral Commission document "Overview of
donations to political parties "

www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/102263/to-donations-rp.pdf

Clever stuff, eh?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:33:58

Just been googling the £499 thing. It’s something to do with impermissible donations.

So it is almost certain that those amounts are coming from non- U.K. registered individual or company.

Now why would someone outside if the U.K. and no apparent interest in U.K. elections give to a political party?

MaizieD Sun 28-Apr-19 14:34:16

If he's registered it as a political party, maryelizaI think he has to say who the donation is from.. see the link I just posted. Though he's not obliged to tell the public immediately...

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:34:34

Snap!!

maryeliza54 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:37:00

Yes that’s what the interviewer told him - I expect he’s waiting for a chance to slip it out when the great British public are otherwise distracted eg when baby’s birth is announced