Gransnet forums

News & politics

A fishy speech.

(31 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Apr-19 04:04:53

After listening to Ms Sturgeon's speech on pushing Scottish independence and a new currency, is that the wish of most voters in Scotland or simply the SNP agenda?

Mycatisahacker Mon 29-Apr-19 08:05:37

Well as an English person I think it’s completely up to the Scots what they choose to do. I have no misty view of the Union but my understanding is that the recent polls in Scotland were against Indy ref 2.

However I honestly wouldn’t blame them getting mightily fed up and worried about the Brexit mess.

As a proud midlander could we break away from London please grin

kittylester Mon 29-Apr-19 08:08:42

I seem to remember that Scotland can't independently opt to remain in the EU if the rest of the UK leaves and would have to reapply.

EllanVannin Mon 29-Apr-19 08:36:11

Mycat, we, in the NW have never felt part of London anyway, so any sort of a break wouldn't make any difference one way or the other. Politicians are only interested in us when there's a GE looming !

Mycatisahacker Mon 29-Apr-19 08:38:22

Oh completely agree EV

Midlands is ignored too. The power house and the engine would be funny if not so maddening.

‘Tis all London and the Home Counties

Jane10 Mon 29-Apr-19 08:38:45

No they don't want independence and don't have any confidence in SNP after more than a decade of them in government. Brace yourselves for a sea of spin though. Luckily we see the other side- and there is another side!

Mycatisahacker Mon 29-Apr-19 08:40:24

It’s hard for us in the rest of the U.K. to work that out jane as the noise comes from the other side. Thanks for the balance.

MiniMoon Mon 29-Apr-19 08:50:29

Northern powerhouse pah! Here in rural Northumberland we see none of it. Let the Scots go, if that is what they wish, we might even move over the border and join them. My cousin lives in Scotland and wouldn't move back South of the border.

Granny23 Mon 29-Apr-19 08:54:21

"Support for Scottish independence is now neck and neck with remaining in the UK among Scots voters, according to a new poll today. Backing for a Yes vote among Scots has soared to a four-year high at 49% according to pollsters YouGov. This compares with 51% who back staying in the UK."

Mycatisahacker Mon 29-Apr-19 09:03:35

Referendums don’t seen to settle anything do they neither Scotland or Brexit.

Iam64 Mon 29-Apr-19 09:57:59

Northern Poor House more like.

I heard Farrage talking about Oldham, as I happened to be driving through that proud former mill town. It may be run down, with poor employment opportunities, the same as every other northern former mill town. It certainly isn't the desert of divided society he portrayed in his speech to Trump supporters in the US.

I agree with the other comments from those of us north of Watford - give us some investment, improve our infra structure, our public transport links. Honestly, who cares if 10 minutes can be knocked of the time it takes to go by train from Manchester to London when you can't get from Manchester to Wigan, often without buses being put on to transport rail travellers.

Sorry - Scottish Independence, its a real B that the B****t mess has got this to the centre of discussion again so soon after the vote to remain part of the UK. We're a small island, we need each other

Caledonai14 Mon 29-Apr-19 13:44:46

This is an interesting view on the subject.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/28/england-mess-scotland-splitting-away

SueDonim Mon 29-Apr-19 14:43:36

Jane10 says it all.

Parsley3 Mon 29-Apr-19 16:10:39

Jane10 doesn’t speak for me or my family though.

paddyann Mon 29-Apr-19 16:34:13

nor for me and mine ,but she knows that .
Scotland is by far the most left leaning of the UK countries .
We do things differently here and will see Independence sooner rather than later .Ask yourself ,if you ran a business and your neighbour ran one too..less profitable though.Would you happily hand over your income to them and be happy to have a % back(Barnett) while they spend the rest on things they need or want that has no impact on your family life? Thats basically what happens with WM and Scotland we pay a % of all the big WM projects ,London crossrail and London Sewers,HS2,Buck house refurb.Big Ben refurb and of course trident which we're "allowed" to house too ....even though a majority of Scots dont want it here .Welcome to the UNION that isn't!!
Despite Jane and Sue slating the SNP government they have made huge strides in all areas that Labour neglected for decades...82000 affordable houses for instance ...cant say they aren''t working FOR the people unlike T May and cohorts who are quite clearly working against us all

paddyann Mon 29-Apr-19 16:35:49

oh an dbefore Jane or anyone else mentions the Queensferry crossing ..it was built with Scottish government funding and came in £245 million below budget...you wont see that on the BBC !

Mycatisahacker Mon 29-Apr-19 16:42:11

See polarised views like this and a certainty and a totally belief in independence can easily lead to feelings of frustration and entitlement that in turn can lead to violence.

I do wonder if Scotland actually knows how little many English/welsh people are bothered one way or the other! I can’t say I have ever been to Scotland. Too cold and too far for me to be honest wink

I thought the love In from the London politicians during the ref was obnoxious.

If the ref says go turn go but if it says stay then you abide by that.

You know as people do in referendums grin

Anja Mon 29-Apr-19 16:58:11

Why shouldn’t the SNP have an ‘agenda’ as you put it? They are after all a political party and a very strong one at that.

I think it’s very hard for someone who wasn’t born in Scotland to understand the wish for independence.

SueDonim Mon 29-Apr-19 18:39:39

It's blooming boiling in this part of Scotland today, Mycatisahacker! grin

Likewise, Paddyann doesn't speak for me or mine family, Parsley. Three of my dc were born in Scotland. None of them thinks independence will bring any benefits. One has voted with his feet and moved to England while probably another one will, too, to further their careers in a bigger pond than Scotland can offer.

notanan2 Mon 29-Apr-19 18:59:03

I dont know enough about Scotland to comment other than to say, as an outsider Scotland seem to strive to do "better" in sectors that the rest of the UK are stagnanting on. I am one of those awful Englanders who has dreams of idylic scotish life!

FOA the northerners who dont feel represented by Westminster, well neither do most of us in the south. They are not south-centric they are just self serving in general IMO.

With no viable oposition in sight either..

Jane10 Mon 29-Apr-19 20:40:59

Please please, English and Welsh people, don't be taken in by the SNP spin. I wish you could hear just the sorts of things that I hear every day on buses and in shop queues.
Scotland is a good as part of the UK. Most people are quite happy to remain so.
The prospect of untangling from a centuries old alliance is appalling. We can't even seem to see how to get out of a 40 year alliance with the EU. Just think of the hard border and how it would affect trade. Economic suicide.

Parsley3 Mon 29-Apr-19 20:48:45

I admire your belief that you speak for most people in Scotland, Jane.

lemongrove Mon 29-Apr-19 21:10:40

Jane10 we met some Scottish people on holiday that said what you are saying.
I believe that if Brexit ever happens, once it’s done, things will settle down a little, and there will be less enthusiasm for Scottish independence.

mcem Mon 29-Apr-19 21:12:50

I'd like to add my family to the list of those are in no way represented by jane or sue.
Looks like the two 'sides' in the GN debate might be roughly in the same proportion (yes/no) as the general population ie predominantly supportive.
caledonail thank you for that link. I found it reassuring after posting very similar views on one of the Scottish Ref threads a couple of days ago.
However, mine was simply a post about the opinions of my friends and wider family, including our experiences in today's Scotland.
Despite the accusations, no spin, just first-hand experience, plus sympathy for those south of the border who feel fed up and neglected by WM.

Jane10 Mon 29-Apr-19 21:45:32

I don't aim to 'represent' or speak for the 'people of scotland' - only to show that there is another side to SNP propaganda.