Gransnet forums

News & politics

Got her just deserts?

(42 Posts)
MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 22:21:26

I see Fiona Onasanya has now been removed as MP for Peterborough, triggering a by election.
How stupid was she to have tried to wriggle out of her driving offence, lying under oath, and perverting the course of justice.
Why didn’t she put her hands up to the initial offence, take her points and or fine and she might still have been in a job.
BTW is it true that she still collected her H of C salary while she was inside?

Mycatisahacker Wed 01-May-19 22:25:05

Baffling isn’t it.

A bloody speeding fine!!! Utterly stupid idiot. Still lying under oath is very very serious as she and her brother would have been well aware so good riddance to her.

Not Fit for public office.

Mind you she’s in good company at the moment

Callistemon Wed 01-May-19 22:47:50

I don't understand why she lied under oath. She should have owned up, grovelled and promised never to speed again.

She was a practising solicitor before becoming an MP - will anyone trust her if she decides to take up her previous career?

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 22:54:28

I think that has gone down the pan as well.

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 23:02:40

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/12/fiona-onasanya-faces-struck-solicitor-following-conviction/

Callistemon Wed 01-May-19 23:03:15

Oh dear, what will she do?

sad

maryeliza54 Wed 01-May-19 23:39:51

I’ve never been able to get my head round the complete stupidity of what she did - as you say, why not just own up, it wasn’t even as though she was going to lose her licence. And yes, I’m sure she’ll be struck off as a solicitor. Still Jonathan Aitken made a come back after his perjury case nd Lord Archer is still lording it around so there’s always hope of redemption isn’t there?

GabriellaG54 Thu 02-May-19 00:32:04

I've more important things to think about than a lying MP.
She doesn't represent my area anyway.
Good riddance.

sodapop Thu 02-May-19 07:24:21

I agree Maryeliza the whole thing was completely stupid but it seems par for the course for MPs these days.

Well that's ok then GG if you are not affected all is well.

Firecracker123 Thu 02-May-19 07:30:00

Good riddance to bad rubbish. The Brexit Party will now contest and hopefully win her seat. A big change is coming.

Urmstongran Thu 02-May-19 07:36:11

Well done the good citizens of Peterborough! Almost 30% of them voted for her deselection. Cocky woman didn’t resign, thought she could brazen it out. The Brexit Party is going to field a candidate in that constituency - it should be interesting to see how that goes.

Mycatisahacker Thu 02-May-19 09:05:16

I agree such a pointless stupid thing to do.

I guess it’s the mind set of being above the law. She thought she was untouchable I guess. What an idiot.

EllanVannin Thu 02-May-19 09:50:07

Nothing unusual in a lying politician ! Most of them have degrees on the subject.

M0nica Fri 03-May-19 07:53:24

I seem to remember that several other members of her family as well as she and her brother have less than whiter than white reputations. It seems to be a family culture.

I think all of us have known families like that. Every locality has always had at least one.

TwiceAsNice Fri 03-May-19 08:44:52

Why would you risk everything for a speeding fine. She must have known she’d lose her law career too you can’t be a solicitor with a criminal conviction. What a stupid woman but I guess arrogance makes you think you’re above the law

jaylucy Fri 03-May-19 11:07:36

Considering she had such a responsible job originally, why on earth did she lie about the speeding? She'd have just had a fine, slap on the wrist, end of (unless she has been caught speeding before) but to say that it was her brother driving - and he wasn't even in the country at the time! Just beggars belief!
Now instead, she has wasted a lot of time and money as well as wasting the police time to investigate for what?
Instead of leading what was probably going to be a successful political life (well at least for a few years), she'd be best off moving a long way away and changing her name - as someone else said, who would trust her as a solicitor in future ?

DotMH1901 Fri 03-May-19 11:20:55

There are quite a few MP's/Lord's with a criminal record - four MPs and two peers were sent to prison for fiddling expenses, leading to the startling statistic that in 2011, while 0.13 per cent of the general population was in jail, a shocking 0.61 per cent of House of Commons members were in prison. Ex-Labour MP David Chaytor was jailed for 18 months for fraudulently claiming more than £20,000 in expenses. Jim Devine was jailed for 16 months for claiming more than £8,000.
Ex-environment minister Elliot Morley was sent to Ford open prison for fiddling to the tune of £30,000. Eric Illsley was released after just four months of a year-long sentence and claimed he was a “scapegoat”. MP Margaret Moran was spared prison and given a supervision order instead. None of the imprisoned MPs has returned to politics though.

Lord Taylor of Warwick was sent down for 12 months after claiming more than £11,000 from the taxpayer. He was joined by peer Lord Hanningfield who said he went through “hell” before he was jailed over his expenses. Both men repaid expenses they claimed illegally.

Applegran Fri 03-May-19 11:21:01

I guess she panicked - did stupid things and lives to deeply regret it.

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 11:42:37

I think that’s a pretty unpleasant post MO

25Avalon Fri 03-May-19 12:01:21

She's the reason Mrs May's compromise Brexit deal didn't go through - it failed by one vote which was hers. We now have so many problems as a consequence. If she had been thrown out as an MP 3 months ago or done the honourable thing and resigned instead of having to wait for the electorate to act, at considerable public cost, we wouldn't be still cap in hand not knowing where we are going in Europe.

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 12:08:52

No she isn’t - it’s all the MPs who voted against the deal plus of course the white Tory male MP who voted for the deal (thus cancelling her vote out) and who had just been convicted and is now subject to a recall petition. I’ll just repeat that - white, Tory, male.

Esmerelda Fri 03-May-19 14:24:21

Maybe it's because she was an MP, so perfectly qualified to cheat and lie rather than be honest and tell the truth.

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 15:19:20

That’s just a ridiculous over- generalisation Esmerelda

Firecracker123 Fri 03-May-19 15:25:12

Well she's got her comeuppance now.

Esmerelda Fri 03-May-19 17:40:01

Yes, I forgot to put the laughing emoji after it!