Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our Crumbling Economy

(81 Posts)
jura2 Thu 02-May-19 13:16:02

Urmstrongran - yes, agreed.

And how on earth do you think Brexit or Nigel will fix that!?! It will make it all 100, 1000 times worse sad

kittylester Thu 02-May-19 13:14:29

I agree jennifereccles. All this talking the country down makes me really angry. I dont suppose it will be done if/when Jeremy and Co are doing their best to destroy us.

JenniferEccles Thu 02-May-19 13:05:06

Or alternatively we could have a post where we mention that actually, our economy is thriving - far far more than in most other EU countries.

Oh and we could also mention how unemployment is at its lowest level for decades.

Wouldn't all that be far better than some incorrect pronouncement that 'our economy is crumbling' when it quite clearly isn't?

Lily65 Thu 02-May-19 13:02:39

Don't worry, Nigel will sort it all out.

Urmstongran Thu 02-May-19 13:00:21

Good post.

Every public service is now on the point of collapse. We see life expectancy going into reverse and rising infant mortality rates. The homeless fill our shop doorways, whilst a country as rich as ours should be absolutely ashamed that over a million people use food banks.

Walk down any street - broken pavements, potholed roads. Half the shops are boarded up, the other half comprise charity shops, betting shops and fast food shops. We are rapidly becoming a third world country with dilapidated services and crumbling infra-structure.

Just depressing.

NHS in crisis.
Education in crisis.
Prisons in crisis.
Probation in crisis.
Councils in crisis.
Police in crisis.
Railways in crisis.
Housing in crisis.
Care services in crisis.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 02-May-19 11:42:40

I have just heard about Bombardier and feel it is another step along the way to the crumbling of our economy.

The aerospace firm, Bombardier, is putting its Belfast operation up for sale as part of a reorganisation of the business.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48130991

I thought we should have a post where all these things could be tied together i.e., business, job insecurity the breakdown in local services and just the general lack of stability in our countries.