Gransnet forums

News & politics

Playing with fire

(191 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 06-May-19 18:24:59

The Welsh Government are drawing up plans to abolish the old common law defence of reasonable punishment for smacking a child.
Campaigners say that opens the door to hundreds of parents being investigated by police under the new laws.
It's a divergence from English law but...does it herald an undertone of wanting independence?

Grandad1943 Mon 06-May-19 18:33:13

With the way that things are with this useless Tory government at Westminster who would blame the Welsh government for believing that this could be an excellent time to put the thought of indendence into the minds of the Welsh electorate.

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-May-19 18:44:06

I agree that they could certainly be forgiven for distancing themselves from Westminster.
I wonder what brought that thought to the attention of policy makers in Wales.
Has there been a noticeable rise in the reporting of such 'abuse'...hmm

mcem Mon 06-May-19 19:22:11

Possibly following Holyrood's lead.

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 19:38:40

Can us English people get independence from Westminster too please. smile

Callistemon Mon 06-May-19 19:51:17

does it herald an undertone of wanting independence?

No.

Callistemon Mon 06-May-19 19:56:27

Plaid have 10 Assembly members and the other parties combined have 50 AM.

Callistemon Mon 06-May-19 19:57:50

It's a divergence from English law but...does it herald an undertone of wanting independence?
Lots of areas diverge from English law or thinking, eg education - there are no grammar schools or academies in Wales. but that means independence of thought rather than a desire for independence.

maryeliza54 Mon 06-May-19 20:03:19

By campaigners you mean the ‘I was hit as a child it didn’t do me any harm’ empty headed idiots?

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 20:16:04

I don’t know seeing some patents these days endlessly sitting their kids down to discuss why they pushed over little Jamie or why they feel the need to run around a cafe screaming I think a quick snack would be infinitely preferable for all concerned.

Anniebach Mon 06-May-19 20:20:04

It was said back last year and no , not independance , Wales is too poor

Urmstongran Mon 06-May-19 20:31:59

I must be one of your empty headed idiots maryeliza ....
?

EllanVannin Mon 06-May-19 20:33:06

I must be an " empty-headed idiot !"

Iam64 Mon 06-May-19 20:43:40

Smacking, hitting, frightening or hurting children is not only wrong, it’s a useless way of helping children to modify their behaviour. How any adult can believe that chastisement that includes shock, pain and fear is good parenting is beyond me. Reasonable chastisement - find more effective less abusive parenting skills

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-May-19 20:45:54

I was seldom smacked but when I was about 8, on one occasion with a sibling, each given 1 whack on the bare buttocks with the buckle end of dad's belt, after constantly talking across the landing to other siblings in their bedrooms when we should have been asleep. Ouch!!
We didn't do it again.
It didn't do either of us any harm...except having red cheeks for a bit. grin

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 20:46:32

I smacked my older two occasionally. Can safely say they are completely normal adult men and great dads. I was smacked and it really really didn’t do me any harm.

Most parents know how to control themselves and most parents worship their children.

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 20:50:23

iam64

There are degrees of that though arnt there.,the odd slap on the bottom isn’t in any way harmful. Regular violent beatings are.

Anniebach Mon 06-May-19 20:53:39

I too am an empty headed idiot

Deedaa Mon 06-May-19 20:59:29

Mycatisahacker I have sometimes thought that parents who come up with punishments involving cancelling outings or taking away toys - or even throwing away - are actually being really unpleasant to their children and a quick smack would be better all round.

Iam64 Mon 06-May-19 21:04:28

Yes mycatisahacker, there are degrees of harm. I’m in the don’t hit children camp. I don’t say all parents who occasionally smack once with a hand are harming their children, I do believe smacking should be avoided. There are more effective methods of discipline. I smacked one of mine at age 11 on the legs after she did something she knew was dangerous, stupid and that both her parents would be upset, angry and worried. I wish I’d handled it better, as I usually would have. I’m not claiming expert parenting, I dislike hitting or violence in families.

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 21:05:33

Deedaa

You are completely right.,I well remember popping into my neighbours house to see her 5 year old weeping., she had told him he had been so naughty he was being sent to the children’s home!! angry

She was an anti smacker too.

The sheer cruelty made my blood boil and we had such words we have never spoken to this day.,

That’s 27 years ago. Her son emigrated to Oz aged 19!!!

Go figure.

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 21:08:25

Me too iam64 honestly been there but don’t beat yourself up, excuse the expression.

I bet your dd completely understands your actions.,

There are far worse things than a smack on the bum.,

Yes it’s not ideal but neither is it abuse.,

Iam64 Mon 06-May-19 21:15:39

Exactly, throwing away toys and endless threats eg Father Christmas won’t come etc can be emotionally abusive. Parenting - easy peasy ?

Elrel Mon 06-May-19 21:21:48

Mycat - You’ve just reminded me of DM who ‘didn't believe in corporal punishment’. At 6 my life changed, DF back from the war, living as a family of 3 instead of at DGP’s, different school, new neighbours, loss of former friends. I can’t have been very happy, I guess.
My screams and tantrums led to DM telling me I was ‘beyond parental control’ so could be ‘taken away’.

Elrel Mon 06-May-19 21:23:18

DGPs’