Gransnet forums

News & politics

Next Tory Leader.

(1000 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 08:33:25

Names are coming along at a regular basis, and with May having a meeting with Brady today, it is likely that she will be persuaded to give a date of her departure.

So let’s start looking at who would make the most suitable Tory leader.

The first out of the hat is Boris Johnson.
His first hurdle is facing court to defend the charge of lying before the referendum.
www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/date-set-for-court-against-boris-johnson-1-6034496

kittylester Tue 07-May-19 08:36:45

I am impressed by Rory Stewart.

tanith Tue 07-May-19 08:49:39

Whoever it is can’t possibly be worse, or can they?

Grandad1943 Tue 07-May-19 08:56:49

With Boris (The Buffoon) Johnson at the helm things could certainly get much worse for the Tory party, and the rest of us thinking about it. confused

Calendargirl Tue 07-May-19 08:58:14

Michael Gove?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 08:59:39

Johnson is the favourite at 7/2 (whatever that means)

If he gets the vote of the MPs, which is by no means certain, he will be a shoe-in when it comes to the Tory party members vote. He has been their favourite for a long time. The real problem there is that with an average age of 71, living in their cosy shires, they are totally out of touch if the real U.K.

Urmstongran Tue 07-May-19 09:01:54

Someone who voted to Leave the EU this time, hopefully. Put a bit of oomph into the negotiations without just ‘managing a deal’ by capitulation at every turn.
?

crystaltipps Tue 07-May-19 09:15:51

It doesn’t matter if they are an untrustworthy liar or turncoat, obviously. Can’t imagine why anyone would want to be Tory leader at the moment though.

Urmstongran Tue 07-May-19 09:20:20

Dominic Raab maybe?

mrsmopp Tue 07-May-19 09:25:49

Jacob Rees Mogg?

EllanVannin Tue 07-May-19 09:28:21

Sorry but there's nobody to choose from !

kittylester Tue 07-May-19 09:36:04

whitewave - your remark about people in the Tory party being out of touch is terribly rude and judgemental.

I'm not a member of the Tory party but have, mostly, voted for them. And I admit to living in a Shire (though possibly not one of the ones you are being sneery about!)

How do you imagine anyone living in this country with all the news sources and real life around them can be out of touch?

People are allowed different points of view - something that the left have conveniently forgotten.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 09:36:57

Dominic Raab 6/1. But universally loathed by 48% of the population.

He also has a couple of comments to live down.

The most astounding one being that he had no idea of the importance of the Dover - Calais crossing in the in,port and export of goods.

He has also made some unfortunate mysoginistic comments, although that might not matter to the 71 year old predominant male membership.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 09:38:29

kitty I’m am sorry I should have made it clear that I was quoting from a number of sources. These are not necessarily my comments.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 09:43:25

Please also do not think that living in leafy shires is anything I am sneery about. I have done so in the past, my children have done so and one still does. My best friend (desceased) did and I have a number of other friends who do.

No, I think life in the shires is extremely pleasant indeed. But a different country in which the poor inhabit. That is what I think many would find it impossible to imagine what life is like for so many if the poorest in our society.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 09:47:32

Jacob Rees Mogg- 33/1 , which I am given to understand makes him a very long shot.

He would not pick up any votes from the moderate wing of the Tory MPs.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 09:55:54

Rory Stewart- 12/1

Interestingly he began life as a Labour supporter, but decided after experiencing Blair’s “Tory-lite” policies he might just as well become a Tory.

I think it is probably safe to say that he is from the moderate side of the Tory party. He totally rejects the no deal scenario, and has said that he couldn’t belong to a party that supports such a proposition.

He would not be supported by the right wing of the party.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 11:40:29

Michael Gove 6/1

Seen by many as having not particularly voter appeal.

Will never be forgiven by many MPs for having (they see) as bringing about Cameron’s downfall -Gove failed to back Cameron after promising he would.
Gove is also seen as having stabbed Johnson in the back (or front as some will have it).
He has been trying to live this down by appearing ultra loyal to May.

He also will never be forgiven by a large constituent of the teaching population by the decisions he made whilst in education.

jura2 Tue 07-May-19 11:45:45

EllanVanin - spot on indeed and truly worrying.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 11:53:36

ellan and jura

I was reading an article over the weekend by a Tory supporter, who thought that until the current front bench and others have worked their way through the system, the Tories will never appeal to the younger voter.

I think there is an element of truth in this, given that the average age of a Tory voter is about 57. They have real difficulty in attracting anyone younger.

jura2 Tue 07-May-19 11:54:41

Makes 100% sense.

trisher Tue 07-May-19 12:44:29

Boris is busy trying to rebuild bridges after his remarks about burqas and letter boxes. He's wishing everyone the best for Ramadan- Talk about crawling!!!
twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1125128080606093313

newnanny Tue 07-May-19 14:03:42

I just wish May was booted out. I would vote for Boris. He did a brilliant job of Mayor of London and hosting the Olympic games too. He appeals to a lot more younger voters than many Tory candidates. My son laughed out loud when he rugby tackled a child and pulled them down and scored the try. He said most politicians would have deliberately let the child get the ball and win. Maybe we need someone in UK who wants UK to get best deal and will do what it takes to get best deal and not care overly what others say about him. We have already heard EU have told May they do not want to deal with him. Might that be because he will not roll over and do as they say?

Urmstongran Tue 07-May-19 14:14:19

Well the bookmakers are not usually far off!

yggdrasil Tue 07-May-19 16:29:27

Boris is a clown. Look what a disaster he made of being Foreign Secretary. Strange because both his father and sister seem reasonably sane

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion