Gransnet forums

News & politics

How old is old?

(46 Posts)
Jo1960 Tue 07-May-19 13:29:37

Hi fellow gransnetters, I'm hopefully about to start some research about older women but there's no concensus about what "older" means. When I worked for age concern it was 50. It still is for Age UK products. Whole of life policies target over 50s. Some housing providers use 50 others 55 and some are 45! I'd love your views

crazyH Tue 07-May-19 13:35:03

As Christopher Biggins says , 70 is the new 50 and that's exactly how I feel most of the time .

tanith Tue 07-May-19 13:36:46

Older means older than me, I’ll be 71 in a short while.

I agree with crazyH ?

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 13:36:59

Old age hit me out of the blue at 75.

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 13:38:30

But I think anywhere from 65 up could be taken as old.

Alima Tue 07-May-19 13:39:24

When I first started school I used to feel sorry for the prefects. They were so old, all of 18. (Everything is relative).

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 13:41:04

Christopher Biggins can go and do something rude to himself.

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 13:41:42

Who is Christopher Biggins?

Septimia Tue 07-May-19 13:42:15

I get annoyed when the press refers to people in their 50s and 60s as elderly.
Where I live there are a number of people in their 70s and 80s. Most of the 70 year olds are fairly fit and active - you wouldn't be able to tell their age from their behaviour. Less good health seems to start to affect folk around here in their 80s. I haven't reached 70 yet, but am inspired by my neighbours.
So, in my opinion, 'older' doesn't start until you're retired and you're not elderly until you're over 90. But, of course, your state of health affects how you feel about it personally.

Minerva Tue 07-May-19 13:48:37

It changes all the time. When I got past 75 it went up to 80. My youngest grandchild, knowing that people get old and then die, tells me that I am medium, mummy is young and he is very young and would like to be a baby again. He’s 5

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 13:57:08

It's a hard life, being 5. grin

grandtanteJE65 Tue 07-May-19 14:09:25

Logically I suppose all of us who have retired are older women, but saying so will probably put some backs up.

Jo, could you word your research project a little differently? I have a kind of feeling that some of those whose opinions you would value might resent being classed as "older".

Asking for a specific age group might be better. Perhaps state "I hope to interview women born between 1950 and 1970?"

I do realise that doesn't help at all if you want the opinions of the younger generation about older women.

You could start your research by dealing with the lack of consensus as to when we can be classed as older.

Obviously, a woman of 45 is older than a great many others, but I imagine she would be surprised to find herself bracketed with me. I am 67.

crazyH Tue 07-May-19 14:14:08

Oh gonegirl, don't you know who Chris Biggins is ? You're probably more highbrow than moi

Gymstagran Tue 07-May-19 14:14:27

Because people are living longer I think there needs to be a real shift in the way that ages are described. In the early years we have the tems babies, toddlers , teenagers, young adults and more. However "older persons" seems to span from around 50 upwards. This term can sometimes span more than 40 years encompassing at least two different generations. Retirement ages are going up as well so the terms pensioners and senior citizens will mean different ages too. What terms would others prefer to use?

EllanVannin Tue 07-May-19 14:17:49

Recycled teenagers, Gymstagran.

SirChenjin Tue 07-May-19 14:24:54

Is it a formal piece of research? If so then you could start by looking at some of the indexed terms in the major databases as they often set out the age range for middle aged/older/very elderly etc to give you an idea of how to focus your approach.

If it’s less formal then I’d say older could mean anything from 70 ish onwards but I think grandtante’s suggestion of an age range is a good one as there are so many variables. It really depends on why you’re doing the research, what you’re measuring, what outcomes you’re looking for and so on.

Dinahmo Tue 07-May-19 14:26:37

I thought middle age started at around 55 or 60 and elderly at over 70. I'm around 30 in head but sadly not in body. A male friend told my husband that old age kicks in suddenly - that you can no longer do many physical activities. My husband, aged 72 found this out last year when he found it to be hard work carrying heavy sacks of compost etc.

I'm also 72 and still working part time. I'm lucky in that my work is computerised and I work from home here in France, for English clients and I enjoy it. However, I don't enjoy the constant need to keep up to date with software innovations.

A few days ago there was a television interview with an author whose latest book is about a group of women who are over 100. There were all as bright as a button with excellent memories.

Telly Tue 07-May-19 14:34:06

Old is obviously 10 years older than you are now! Simples.

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 14:37:18

I wish.

BlueBelle Tue 07-May-19 14:37:43

I think Biggins is right and I don’t see why he has to ‘do one’ for gonegirls for having a perfectly reasonable opinion I think he’s right 70 is the new 50 and 50 the new 30
I don’t think I m old yet I m older but not old

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 14:40:27

CrazyH I googled it and recognised his face. Did he used to be on a Saturday morning kids' tv show that my daughter used to watch? Or was that someone else? confused

SirChenjin Tue 07-May-19 14:43:37

Christopher Biggins en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Biggins

He’s been around for many years and done a bit more than a Saturday morning kids TV show.

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 14:46:20

Yes, but is that how he started out?

SirChenjin Tue 07-May-19 14:48:55

That link gives you his career history if you’re really interested.

Anyway - back to the OP

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 14:58:40

Thank you.