Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Brexit Party

(611 Posts)
Firecracker123 Tue 14-May-19 15:08:33

A Party Political Broadcast on behalf of The Brexit Party is on BBC1
tonight 18.55pm.

Dinahmo Wed 22-May-19 11:26:35

WWM2 - I'm surprised that the Brexiteers haven't been advising us to Dig for Victory. I think that our parents and grandparents who were around during WW2 were made of much stronger stuff than us.

Nonnie Wed 22-May-19 11:44:37

When grants from the EU and places like The Arts Council are given they are for specific projects so it is unreasonably to suggest that they are in any way swayed politically by such grants. Actually I find it difficult to understand why those opposed to the EU and opposed to us paying our EU dues should object to UK organisations benefiting.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-May-19 14:15:39

I hope that when people vote for leave tomorrow, they do so in the understanding that they will be condemning thousands upon thousands of their fellow citizens and perhaps even some of their family to poverty and unemployment and a very dismal future.

DO not dare to suggest project fear when there is enormous evidence Of this happening even before we leave.

What sort of person chooses to inflict such a dreadful future on its fellow citizens, especially having themselves enjoyed decades of growth and optimism and now retired on a pension, with no worries about your working future. Let’s hope the zNHS will still be there when we need it as we age the even more.

varian Wed 22-May-19 14:24:45

Brexit will be very bad for the NHS, survey of UK doctors reveals

www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/brexit-will-be-very-bad-for-the-nhs-survey-of-uk-doctors-reveals/

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-May-19 14:27:42

Voting intention in Eu referendum

Remain 54%

Leave. 46%

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 15:01:16

Thankfully, none of my family are in jobs/careers that would ever be affected whether in or out of the EU but, there may be sunshine after the storm for those who are worried.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 15:03:56

Enjoyed years of growth and optimism under a Tory government. ?

varian Wed 22-May-19 15:16:52

Good to know that some can be so confident about their family's future.

I'm struggling to imagine the jobs/careers which couldn't be adversely affected by brexit.

Trade negotiators? receivers? bankruptcy practitioners? bailiffs?

mcem Wed 22-May-19 15:17:12

Urmston sorry to spoil your Friday morning fun but you won't be celebrating results.
Since most countries in the eu vote on Sundays, results won't be available until all polling stations close (10pm Sunday).
So hold off until very late Sunday evening/ overnight/ Monday morning!
IF THEN!
I'll keep my bubbly on ice meanwhile too!

Nonnie Wed 22-May-19 16:29:16

MESSAGE TO ALL: WHEN YOU VOTE TOMORROW NO ONE WILL KNOW WHERE YOU PUT YOUR CROSS AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO TELL. PLEASE DO WHAT YOUR CONSCIENCE TELLS YOU WHICH MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU HAVE POSTED ON HERE

Really don't need any responses, just putting this out for those who have thought long and hard and perhaps think differently to 3 years ago but feel they must save face and not admit it.

varian Wed 22-May-19 16:33:39

Farage's fundraising for Brexit Party allows foreign donors to 'break rules', warns elections watchdog

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-party-donations-farage-electoral-commission-paypal-eu-elections-a8925276.html

varian Wed 22-May-19 16:38:39

The Brexit party barely has a Brexit policy – why won’t they say what their version of No Deal would look like? The lack of media scrutiny this single policy party has had of that single policy has been startling.

Read what this leave voter says. He is not going to be misled again.

inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/brexit-party-manifesto-policies-no-deal-nigel-farage-european-elections-2019/amp/

MarthaBeck Wed 22-May-19 16:46:57

Tomorrow we shall be making a most important decision that could effect the lifestyle off younger members of the family for the rest of their lives.

George my partner and I have have been chatting to our grandchildren to get their views on Brexit, those discussions have been most revealing. We have both come to the same conclusion that at this election it is most important that young people's views are not only heard, but also seriously considered.
For that reason we have mutual agreed to take account of our grandchildren's views. I have 5 grandchildren, 2 of whom are twins but who don't as yet have a vote. They are not eligible until August, I have however ,decided to honour their views by voting for the party of their choice. In other words, I am really acting had their proxy for its their future rather than mine as I reach my late 70’s, that I strongly believe is so important.

Therefore tomorrow I am voting for the Lib Dems.

George, has not told me as yet how he is voting, but from what I have heard from his grandchildren, we are singing from the same sheets of music as far as voting is concerned.
We have both promised not to vote for Brexit Party under any circumstances.

varian Wed 22-May-19 16:51:24

Well done!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-May-19 17:18:23

I find that so heartening martha I feel the same about my dear grandsons. I will do everything I can to give them a future.

I dont know how many grans remember what GN was like before the referendum, but I have noticed how many more grans are supporting remain and there isn’t nearly so much Unpleasantness and hard right posting as there was then. It is so much nicer.

suzied Wed 22-May-19 18:21:06

My mother in law tore up her (Brexit) postal vote when she realised she was voting against every other member of her family including 2 non British EU citizens. She's 99, and has dementia, so that explains her initial decision I suppose.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 22:21:27

I, my OH banker, my ex, my 5 AC AND 9 out of 10 GC are voting for Brexit. All independent decisions by working adults.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 22:26:43

You can tell when people get the jitters as they capitalise whole sections of a post to (in their dreams) get their message to leavers and post links in order to rubbish the Brexit movement.
grin
Too little too late.

Ginny42 Wed 22-May-19 22:57:57

It's not a jokeGG54. Glad your family members are all so secure in their lifestyles and wellbeing, but thousands upon thousands are going to be far worse off post Brexit. Spare a thought for them once in a while.

Grany Wed 22-May-19 23:26:24

Voting Labour for the many.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 23:53:10

Would they have thought of me if remain had won? hmm
We can now start on a fresh sheet of paper, I never did like writing on the reverse.

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-May-19 00:09:16

Ginny42
Have you absolute proof of the mayhem, poverty and terrible lifestyle awaiting post Brexit, or is it just the picture you (and others) like to paint?
You're all so miserable and pessimistic. No fighting spirit eh?
We don't need to suckle at the breast of Junker & Co. They have nothing to offer but a collection of countries propping each other up like a house of cards. One puff and they all fall down.
Just watch.
We will be the template for others to borrow.
It will all come tumbling down and we will have shown them it can be done, albeit massively messed up by our incompetent ministers.

crystaltipps Thu 23-May-19 06:30:57

If we are the template with our political omnishambles I doubt if many will want to emulate our divided U.K. I’m not sure suckling at Farages breast is an image I want in my head but it takes all kinds.

Firecracker123 Thu 23-May-19 06:32:37

I agree Gabreilla good post. I'm also fed up of the condescending posts by some of the Remainers on here who think they know it all.

Alima Thu 23-May-19 06:58:21

I could ask my DGC how they would vote but sadly it won’t cut the mustard. The eldest, 7, asks “what’s politics”. The next in line says “oh no, not Brexit again!” At the time of the referendum we did ask how our AC would vote and went along with their choice as the result would affect them for longer than us. They voted leave.
I think many of you are missing the point about Nigel Farage. It isn’t the man as much as the voice he gives to those of us who want to leave. It is only so often you can be referred to as thick, racist, ignorant etc before you strike out with a pencil.