Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sadiq Kahn’s views on Donald Trump - unprofessional?

(214 Posts)
Kandinsky Sun 02-Jun-19 19:03:24

Not sure if gransnetters outside of London know what our mayor is saying, but he’s going way over the top in my opinion.
He really needs to keep his personal hatred of another politician to himself, especially a politician who’s one of our greatest allies.

What do you think?

Elvive Wed 05-Jun-19 20:17:22

Maybe he fancied fish and chips that night?

Anniebach Wed 05-Jun-19 20:15:07

Why refuse an invitation to dinner from the Queen because of dislike of one guest yet ask to meet the disliked guest the next day.

Callistemon Wed 05-Jun-19 20:11:13

When they go low, you go high

Good motto, isn't it!
What a pity that Corbyn and Khan have not taken that to heart.
Trump too.

POGS I assumed you meant politicians when you posted about the hypocrisy of those who consort with some world leaders with dubious reputations and not with others.

I didn't think you meant gransnetters - although I have seen defence of some you mention on threads and quite recently too.

Your post is entirely valid.

Glammy57 Wed 05-Jun-19 20:10:59

Varian - thanks for sharing the link, I found it interesting!

varian Wed 05-Jun-19 20:00:54

Trump explained-

Why Narcissists And Gaslighters Blatantly Lie -- And Get Away With It

www.forbes.com/sites/stephaniesarkis/2019/06/02/why-narcissists-and-gaslighters-blatantly-lie-and-get-away-with-it/#13915af443b0

Glammy57 Wed 05-Jun-19 19:47:49

Elvive, Trisher, Ginny42, Varian - thank you for your kind words.

Being on Gransnet reminds me of my days in a girls grammar school.

As Michelle Obama said: “When they go low, you go high”

Peace and Eid Mubarak!

Elvive Wed 05-Jun-19 18:53:25

Thank You EV, er no I don't need help. I would suggest that knife crime is complex and knocking on the door of number 10 probably won't cut it. Perhaps instead of closing down projects with a proven record of success the government could invest in them.

www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/mayor-supports-43-local-anti-knife-crime-projects

Elvive Wed 05-Jun-19 18:48:55

Why oh why do people assume anybody not enamoured by the status quo is therefore in love with JC?

Elvive Wed 05-Jun-19 18:47:46

So the increase in knife crime could be halted if only SK had not spent 2 minutes sanctioning a balloon, yes of course, that makes perfect sense.

Opal Wed 05-Jun-19 18:06:32

Day6 and EllanVannin - couldn't agree more with you guys, spot on with your posts.

Left-wing hypocrisy and sinister agenda at its best. Excellent post Day6.

Elvive - the connection between knife crime and Khan permitting a balloon is that he should be spending his time battling the former, instead of wasting his time getting involved with the latter. He should be exercising diplomacy and respect and restraint with regard to the latter. What a buffoon he is.

And as I said in an earlier post, Labour's waste of space leader sees fit to criticise POTUS, but is willing to talk to Hezbollah, the IRA, Hamas and other terrorist organisations. How can anyone, in all conscience, ever vote for him as leader of this country?

ClareAB Wed 05-Jun-19 18:05:06

I think Mr Khan is right. Bearing in mind the saying 'all that needs for evil to be done, is for good men to stand by and do nothing'

crystaltipps Wed 05-Jun-19 18:00:07

day6 it was you who claimed there was a left wing bubble, I pointed out it works both ways, so your turntable merely illustrates the spurious “bubble” assertion you made initially.

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 17:58:14

Perhaps they should have had referendum on it.

crystaltipps Wed 05-Jun-19 17:57:12

Yes one of Khan’s duties is to be informed of planned demos etc and lease with the met. There weren’t any logistical reasons why the protesters couldn’t have a balloon. I think some on here seem to think it was his idea. He also sanctioned a cartoon balloon of himself.

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 17:51:47

No. Actually there is no connection. Why wouldn't he be expected to deal with both, the balloon and the knife crime? Why would one exclude the other? confused

And carry out the rest of his duties come to that.

You've got to make sense!

EllanVannin Wed 05-Jun-19 17:26:12

Khan is the mayor and one of his duties isn't sanctioning an aerial insult to the president of the USA.
Instead he should be knocking at No 10 for help with the knife crime in his area.

If you don't see the connection, Elvive, then you badly need help.

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 17:02:48

Wonder what percentage of London's knife crime is down to muslims. I wouldn't have thought very much.

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 17:01:24

I don't think Khan should have sanctioned the balloon.

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 17:01:01

Maybe we just don't understand where Trump is coming from re immigrants. If there are thousands of people streaming through Mexico to the border of the US hoping to get in by fair means or foul, isn't he right to take a firm stance with that?Especially if a lot of the drug dealing and related crime in the US is down to illegal immigrants.

Elvive Wed 05-Jun-19 15:49:03

Yet again sorry but you make no sense whatsoever.

Is calling somebody short and /or nasty helpful in any way.

What on earth is the connection between knife crime and Khan permitting a balloon?

EllanVannin Wed 05-Jun-19 13:58:04

Not exactly a good example shown for the gun/knife crime that's in London, is it , having a mayor who thinks fit to ridicule a president of the USA ? Sheer disrespect.

kazzerb Wed 05-Jun-19 13:49:34

I think to treat an invited guest to this Country in this way by Khan and Corbyn is disgraceful behaviour. Heaven knows what the people in Europe and USA make of us, I dread to think !

Day6 Wed 05-Jun-19 13:46:05

If not your entire post is invalid.

Wrong Trisher.

POGS' post is extremely valid. It begs the question, where were the left wing rabble and Corbyn on those occasions? No protest then, yet a legitimately elected POTUS fans left wing flames. No protest marches, no balloons, no rude tweets for eastern ruling monsters.

You have to ask what is the left wing agenda if notorious people who violate human rights get an easy pass when visiting Britain, but our major western ally, the USA and its President face abuse and demonstrations.

Left-wing hypocrisy and sinister agenda at its best.

Glenfinnan Wed 05-Jun-19 13:42:10

Khan is a disgrace.....however did someone of no intelligence like him get to be Mayor??

Day6 Wed 05-Jun-19 13:35:59

No, I am like a normal person who can't abide racism.

I think you'll find a huge majority of GN posters are exactly the same.

I dislike Trump, he is a strange man, but this thread is about left wing mayor of London Khan tweeting abusive thoughts world wide. His actions, in allowing the flying of abusive balloon over London for the Presidents state visit and concern most of us.

Not only that, the left wing leader of HM opposition joins the braying throng of anti-American left wing demonstrators and snubs the President.

It's the lack of diplomacy and common courtesy in these extremist, political public figures I and many others on this thread dislike. It's unnecessary and achieves nothing but a sincere desire that these left-wing men never have the power to govern the UK.

It makes you wonder who THEY might roll out the red carpet for in the future.