Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC licence fee update

(245 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 10-Jun-19 15:01:05

The BBC have decided that free tv licences will only be available to over 75s who receive pension credit.
This will take effect from June 2020.
Everyone else will pay the full amount.

WadesNan Wed 12-Jun-19 15:49:38

maddyone I agree with you. If this were an official document or part of an exam it would be different, but this is supposed to be a simple "friendly" forum - as long as I can understand what a poster means I see no reason to double check their spelling, grammar or punctuation.

maddyone Wed 12-Jun-19 15:37:21

I was a teacher and can spell pretty well, if unsure I check it with the dictionary, but I don’t bother being so pedantic with other people’s spellings. For goodness sake, does it really matter if the spelling is readable but incorrect? The poster could be dyslexic, the spell check on their iPad could have ‘corrected ‘ the spelling and thus making it wrong for the meaning, maybe the poster just isn’t too good at remembering the correct spelling. If it can be read and understood, that’s what matters.

Doodle Wed 12-Jun-19 14:36:41

tilly thank you for your explanation. To be honest I have no idea whether you’re right or wrong. Being dyslexic I am useless at spelling and grammar just picking up on the error in your post which now turns out to be a spell-changer error (happens to me a lot).
My spelling (which is poor at the best of times) can sometimes be corrected by others. It doesn’t bother me much.
Perhaps I was speaking up for maw as my contact with her on GN is to be of someone who is kind, witty, sensible, thought provoking and interesting and a decent person. Sometimes, the people you say you are protecting, can say thoughtless and unkind things to others too. So perhaps not all a one way street.

Gonegirl Wed 12-Jun-19 14:29:40

there's this

They actually talk about "reinventing the BBC for a new generation".

That's who should pay for it then.

MawBroonsback Wed 12-Jun-19 14:25:19

Sorry your latest attempt to take a pot shot at me so clearly misfired grin

Tillybelle Wed 12-Jun-19 14:25:18

Back to the thread, does the BBC publish their annual budget? I suppose they do... I would like to know where all the money goes.

Tillybelle Wed 12-Jun-19 14:24:14

janeainsworth. No "nastiness" merely literal description of what was actually here in print written by the person herself. I do not have to say anything in fact because that person shows herself as she is. I literally described what she did in the context of her being hurtful to another. That was kindness to the person she hurt, in other words the opposite of what you like to claim.

MawBroonsback Wed 12-Jun-19 14:23:43

MaBroonsback

You owe GabbyG an apology, she was right in spelling the word with an 's' thus
Licensing

Tillybelle
Please reread my post, that was precisely what I said
confusedconfused
GabriellaG is clearly hot on spelling, as has been shown just today (Dying /Dyeing)
I was very surprised to see her fall foul of the U.K./US confusion .
Thanks to JaneAinsworth and all others who read it correctly.

suziewoozie Wed 12-Jun-19 14:23:03

On their website, DVLA is Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority - and isn’t ‘licensing’ in this context an adjective? Or am I completely missing the point?

Tillybelle Wed 12-Jun-19 14:17:58

errrr! "palaces" should be "places"!

Tillybelle Wed 12-Jun-19 14:17:24

blondenana. Yes and frequently Institutions and palaces change spellings and grammar just to pander to the ignorance of the masses because people do not keep to the original spelling and grammar. Thus spellings etc. change. I could show many wrongly spelled notices by some Government Institutions over the years. In fact we had a book of them (kept to read in the loo!) a few years ago!

janeainsworth Wed 12-Jun-19 14:12:51

Any your nastiness about Maw says a great deal more about you than it does about her.

blondenana Wed 12-Jun-19 14:12:31

RE; the arguments about the spelling of the TV Licence,on their website about, refunds licence is spelt with a C, but when they say licensing it is spelt with an S,
Also words are spelt differently in America for instance, we say colour, America spells it color

janeainsworth Wed 12-Jun-19 14:12:11

Tillybelle A Licencing Agency is a place that gives Licences

You are wrong.

Tillybelle Wed 12-Jun-19 14:11:24

Doodle. Thanks Doodle, just found your reply! Please see my reply above - I didn't notice my spell-changer altered it! It thought it was a verb, it was a noun!

Tillybelle Wed 12-Jun-19 14:07:37

janeainsworth

Actually I do not owe her an apology.

As with Licence = noun
and license = verb, so licensing and licencing carry the same meanings

The reason my Licencing came out with an"S" was due to a spell-corrector reading it as a verb and my not realising it had changed it before I posted it.

A Licencing Agency is a place that gives Licences.

MawBroon was wrong.
My post above printed an 's' in error and should have read "licencing" as in the use of the word as a noun. Apologies to all that I did not see this in time.

It should be noted that there can be some interchangeability in the use of the spellings and that different continents veer towards one spelling more than the other. However, MawBroon is very keen to put people down and leaps on any kind of spelling that she reads as an error, with admonishments to the Poster, making herself look clever, and steering the thread away from the topic and towards her prowess. It is not helpful to the topic and only serves her self-interest by making the other person feel upset. I do not like to see decent people being picked upon in this way and therefore try to protect them.

Gonegirl Wed 12-Jun-19 13:58:26

Joelsnan I so agree with that.

Gonegirl Wed 12-Jun-19 13:57:12

That won't be hard. hmm

blondenana Wed 12-Jun-19 13:55:28

There is something going round on facebook, suggesting that no one watches BBC on friday night, kind of boycott it as a protest

Doodle Wed 12-Jun-19 13:51:50

Sorry janeainsworth I hadn’t seen your post when I wrote mine. Crossed posts.

Doodle Wed 12-Jun-19 13:49:04

tilly I’m not including myself in this discussion but would just point out that it was maw who said licensing should be spelt with ‘s’ when commenting on another post where it was spelt with a c. I think you are confirming what maw posted was a correct spelling.

Joelsnan Wed 12-Jun-19 13:42:33

I do think it is a shame.
There are those now in later life who have enjoyed a good life, worked and earned a good wage and spent every penny on this good life who now qualify for pension credit (or whatever its called) and all the other benefits that brings.
There are those who have managed to stay on benefits just about all of what could have been their working lives who have put little into the community pot but take a good amount out (not talking about disabled).
Then there are those who have worked all their lives, been fairly frugal and put a bit aside, enough to bury them and a bit for the kids, these being the ones who also paid into the community pot, and these are the ones who pay for everything.
Not everyone is a millionaire or a final salary pensioner. Many many have nothing more than basic state pension and savings probably just over the benefit threshold.
Maybe todays spend now, worry later generation have it right. I often think those who saved are the losers in this society.

Tillybelle Wed 12-Jun-19 13:41:58

gillybob. To you and all those, many of whom are my friends, who have to work beyond the expected 65 retirement age I say how sorry I am for you! It is a terrible situation! It is so easy for the government to plead not enough money but they had years in which to plan for this! It is dreadful! France practically had a revolution when they raised the age from 60to 62. They also give many generous benefits, especially to families.
So to those of you caught in this horrible situation where you are still working after you hoped to retire, I send deep commiserations and sincerely hope you have an easy last few years in work. I hope you can enjoy a wonderful and well pensioned retirement when it so-deservedly arrives!

janeainsworth Wed 12-Jun-19 13:40:46

Tillybelle It’s you who owes maw an apology.
Gabriella spelled ‘licensing’ with a c and maw pointed out it should be spelled with an s.

As for whether maw should have corrected gabriella, there is nothing the latter likes more than correcting others, so she must take it on the chin when others correct her own spelling or grammar.

Gonegirl Wed 12-Jun-19 13:29:34

[thumbs up emoji]