Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory Leadership race

(428 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 11-Jun-19 13:03:21

As far as I can see not one of the contenders has a clear plan with regard to Brexit.

Without a plan we can’t move on.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jul-19 08:34:56

Hunt supports Fox Hunting

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jul-19 08:14:25

Wonder what the rest of the world thinks of a candidate who refuses to be interviewed.

Ginny42 Thu 04-Jul-19 08:06:34

GG13- can you be more explicit about the criminals?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jul-19 18:50:46

Dinahmo ????

Dinahmo Wed 03-Jul-19 18:42:34

GG13 More than luck than judgement!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jul-19 17:50:34

The only positive thing about Johnson or Hunt is they haven't got a criminal record. Unlike three of the new leaders of the EU!

M0nica Wed 03-Jul-19 17:40:59

No idea who Stormzy is, what he said or where he said it.

jura2 Wed 03-Jul-19 11:12:02

Totally agree.

But not int his case, surely. Stormzy was not attacking Johnson for his colour or race- but for his 'politics' and his clearly racist past comments.

M0nica Tue 02-Jul-19 21:50:39

Whitewave it could just be that they said them in entirely different circumstances to entirely different audiences. I do get tired of this knee jerk reaction that if one person is black and the other white, then any criticism of the black person is automatically racist. Sometimes yes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Shoequeen53 Mon 01-Jul-19 13:23:50

Interesting interview on Today Programme this morning. It seems both candidates’ spending plans make Labour’s 2017 manifesto look positively parsimonious. In a GE the Tories would have zero chance of portraying themselves as the party of fiscal prudence. As someone said on Twitter, there appears to be a new found forest of magic money trees.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jul-19 12:35:02

Johnson said “fuck business” and will probably be the next Tory leader.

Stormzie says “fuck Johnson” And is told he is told he is rude and divisive.

One is wealthy and white

The other is wealthy and black.

Double standards or just plain racism?

Bit of both I think.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jul-19 12:30:22

I wonder how many business owners and employees who lose both business and jobs, will say “ well no deal was worth it”

Hunt and Johnson are talking b..s..t

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jul-19 11:10:26

Portillo is of the same opinion of millions in this country. The other millions will believe anything?

Ilovecheese Mon 01-Jul-19 11:03:20

Michael Potillo on This Week was saying that Boris Johnson was only talking about no deal in order to appeal to the Tory party membership, but that he didn't mean what he was saying. I think given Boris Johnson's record for changing his views to suit the occasion that that might well be true.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jul-19 07:28:50

Reading the various reports in today’s paper, it seems that there is intense worry in the Tory party over the comments about no deal. The comments made by both candidates show that they are “trying to pander to the hardcore right of the party. It will be the poorest people who will be hit the hardest by no deal. People who earn a wage to keep the roof over their heads and their stomachs full, not Jeremy or Boris or any other taxpayer-subsidised MP.

The CBI

“Politicians must remember that it is businesses that create jobs and opportunities across the communities, and it is the role of government to create the conditions to enable these firms to survive and grow. This focus on ideology does not serve our country well.
The case for a new Prime Minister to secure a good deal with the EU is clear cut. Our economy depends on it.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jul-19 07:17:13

Hope anybody with a business is secure and in particular not heavily trading with the EU, as I know many that are.

Hunt is prepared to see you lose everything if he thinks it is is necessary to have a no deal.

Presumably Johnson thinks the same.

Farmers must be desperately worried in particular, as well as fisherman. Here on the South Coast 99% of the catch is sold to the EU.

Apricity Mon 01-Jul-19 05:15:51

Apparently Boris has stated that he intends to take the UK out of the EU with no deal at Halloween. Trick or treat?

"Boris & the Zombies" playing at a cinema near you. The farce continues.

Anniebach Sun 30-Jun-19 09:19:05

I think traditional tories like traditional labour are mourning their party

Whitewavemark2 Sun 30-Jun-19 09:05:31

Interesting article this morning, which argues that the Conservative party of family values, support for the union and business has disappeared, and in its place are people who have no value for any of those things. The Tory party is no longer recognisable.

I can see that. I wonder if traditional Tories are mourning their party?

Drum1234 Fri 28-Jun-19 12:26:28

Jeremy Vine's story isn't funny at all. It shows that BJ has utter contempt for other people, even when he is being paid by them - I doubt his after dinner speaking is done for free. By having a script, which includes stage directions (turn up late, have no idea where you are, scribble some 'notes') and dialogue, he can turn up anywhere, make the punters laugh, take the money and run. As Anne Reid's character says in the recent Years and Years 'Beware these comedians and clowns, they will laugh us all to hell.'

Ginny42 Fri 28-Jun-19 11:24:45

Clearly those who would prorogue Parliament to push through their desired result believe in the Divine Right of the PM. I'm beginning to think history will be kinder to Theresa May.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jun-19 10:10:51

I see Johnson is willing to prorogue parliament in order to get what he wants.

If this happen then it will be subject to judicial review, and in my opinion is tantamount to treason and the government will be preventing the people’s representative in parliament from doing just that. To try to silence parliament over the most constitutional and historical matter is entirely wrong, and to request the Queen prorogue would therefore be done in bad faith.

We beheaded a King who thought he could rule without parliament. The people representatives didn’t like it then and won’t like it now.

Ginny42 Fri 28-Jun-19 06:51:19

I hadn't seen that Crystaltipps. I agree. What does his plan say to those who nurse the sick, teach our children, clean the streets, empty our bins or keep the public parks looking lovely, to name but a few? Each has a vital role in our wellbeing and quality of life. Hunt is strung up on the notion that because he's been an entrepreneur that's the thing to aspire to. What a good job others find pleasure and satisfaction from providing essential services.

The more I hear, the greater my fears. The choice between Tweedledum and Tweedledumber is narrowing. Not a hairsbreadth between them in promising the undeliverable come hell or high water.

crystaltipps Fri 28-Jun-19 06:17:51

Impartial* - inappropriate name ? I wasn’t criticising Hunt for being wealthy ( as is BJ) , it’s just one of the few things we know about him, he is reportedly the richest person in the cabinet. If we excluded politicians who were v wealthy there wouldn’t be many left ( might be a good idea then). I think his idea for cancelling student loans for “young entrepreneurs” very divisive - what about young teachers or doctors? Why should someone running an online betting or make up business be seen as of greater value to society.? That’s just one of his suggested policies which won’t get off the ground.

Impartialandeducated Thu 27-Jun-19 23:21:56

CRYSTALTIPPS... Thank you for assisting with an insight into the policies of Mr Hunt. Being Mr Bland is certainly an issue that will receive high level attention in European Parliament discussions. I do not think the comparison with air stewards (cabin crew nowadays) is fair to airline personnel and as for being wealthy, could we ever tolerate someone in No 10 who has money behind him/her/neuter? You say we are discussing the merits of each candidate???????