Gransnet forums

News & politics

Fat people can only exercise naked !

(68 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Thu 13-Jun-19 17:08:11

Saw an article in the Telegraph the other day about this :-

www.businessinsider.com/nikes-plus-size-mannequin-is-a-brilliant-business-decision-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

What I found surprising ( or maybe not) was the comments from journalist Tanya Gold in regard to Nike now selling plus sized sports wear .

"The new Nike mannequin is not size 12, which is healthy, or even 16 — a hefty weight, yes, but not one to kill a woman. She is immense, gargantuan, vast. She heaves with fat," Gold wrote.

I'm not posting to get into the usual debate about whether fat people are fat through their own fault instead I'm asking 2 questions.

Firstly, is obesity the last bastion of discrimination. If its not ok to make derogatory comments about culture, colour, race or sexuality is it ok to be abusive about weight?

And secondly, if exercise is good for you , doesn't it make sense that larger people have access to the appropriate clothing to do their exercise in?

Do you think Nike are breaking ground here with their new range ( even if you overlook that its probably an excellent marketing strategy) and that it should be available ?

My other thought was when will women stop tearing other women down. Regardless of size should we , as women, not be supportive of each other ? Or is that based on weight too?

I'm really interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

GabriellaG54 Thu 13-Jun-19 17:44:15

I'm happy to support women under 8st. I don't think my arms could bear a heavier weight.

Septimia Thu 13-Jun-19 17:46:18

1. No it's not OK to be abusive about weight - whether v. high or v. low - any more then about the other things.

2. Yes, appropriate exercise clothing for larger people is sensible.

Larger people don't necessarily want to be large but losing weight can be hard. Anything, like suitable clothes, that can help is to be encouraged - and we should encourage people to try to be fitter, not denegrate them.

Elvive Thu 13-Jun-19 17:47:38

larger than what?

Riverwalk Thu 13-Jun-19 17:52:19

I can't read Tanya Gold's full article because it's behind The Telegraph's paywall but I do know she herself is rather large so I doubt she was being nasty or discriminatory.

I got the impression that she thinks Nike are peddling a myth that women can be the size of the mannequin and be healthy.

Elvive Thu 13-Jun-19 17:55:59

Isn't size 16 the average size in the UK? It's hardly a myth.

Loislovesstewie Thu 13-Jun-19 18:31:38

The problem is that too often people feel that they can only go to the gym if they are the right size and already fit. So those who could really do with taking up exercise start off at a disadvantage. And that's before we get to the whole thing of what to wear.

M0nica Thu 13-Jun-19 18:34:31

Actually it is quite possible to be overweight and healthy. DD has been overweight most of her life despite being extremely active and having a healthy diet. We think there may be a genetic element involved because in DH's family there seems to be one member like her every generation.

She is now in her late 40s swims 5 or 6 miles a week, will happily walk for miles and her blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels are all well below danger levels. It is only her weight that is the problem. When she had a serious accident the doctors looking after her acknowledged that her overall fitness and good health were a major contributor to her good recovery.

NanaandGrampy Thu 13-Jun-19 19:14:28

This is the mannequin in question . Tanya Gold felt that a person the size of this mannequin would be pre diabetic and unable to run.

I can see where she thinks this is a marketing ploy and I am sure that vectored into their decision, after all they’re a business , it’s their job to sell and make money. But I still think that if clothes come in all sizes then why wouldn’t exercise clothes too ?

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 20:08:58

"or even 16 — a hefty weight"

Whaaat?

Daft cow.

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 20:10:42

Sensible to supply exercise clothing for fat women. What are they supposed to exercise in? confused

JackyB Thu 13-Jun-19 20:50:16

The mannequin in the picture is just a well-built size 16 or so.

"Heaving with fat" my foot.

PamelaJ1 Fri 14-Jun-19 06:59:38

Question 1- is it discrimination or judgemental?
I think that it’s generally perceived that, on the whole, people are born as themselves. They emerge from the womb into a culture, race or sexuality and, in most cases,
don’t deviate much.
So, no it’s not OK to be abusive but to have an opinion is inevitable.
Obese people are seen to have brought fat upon themselves so there is a difference on how they are judged.

Question 2- I’d like to say that I’ve never bought exercise clothing but I have got, some cheap cutoff leggings that I wear for tennis and exercise class along with a T-shirt.
I’m quite slim but wouldn’t be seen dead in that exercise gear. At my age the wobbly bits would be escaping through the gaps. “O
If larger people want to waste their money it’s their choice.

Esspee Fri 14-Jun-19 07:07:51

Sorry, that outfit is obscene and I'm a size 16.

Grammaretto Fri 14-Jun-19 07:35:37

I agree that obese people are discriminated against .
Ofcourse in an ideal world there should be clothes to fit everyone, and shoes and hats.
The mannequin pictured is hardly obese.
When I was a child I had a foster mother who was too fat for off the peg clothes so she made her own. She made my clothes too and my dolls' clothes.
She introduced my sister and I to the world of self sufficiency.

polnan Fri 14-Jun-19 09:54:24

It is not just women, human beings are abusive to human beings... deep sighs from me!

Gonegirl Fri 14-Jun-19 10:03:39

That model is no 16. grin More like a 20.

Can't see that it's obscene though. It covers as much of her up as the slimmer model next to her, and no doubt it's the same material.

Purplepoppies Fri 14-Jun-19 10:04:11

I agree this is horrible fat shaming. Not acceptable. Of course women, and men, of all shapes and sizes should have access to sports wear and the gym to improve your fitness. It makes sense.
But on GN and MN there is an awful lot of body shaming, be it about size, choice of body modification or clothing!!! I dislike it all tbh.

jaylucy Fri 14-Jun-19 10:14:45

It's about time that "fitness clothing" was made for people over a size 18 - what people are expected to wear to exercise in, to lose weight I have no idea !
As for discriminating against "fat" people- I once went for a job interview at a hospital and the woman in charge said that maybe the job (admin) would not be suitable for some of us as it was only a small office and 2 people needed to work there , so she would be happy if we would like to leave now ( there were 3 of us that were above a size 12) we all stuck it out and were taken to an office similar in size to where we'd be working - both girls already working there were the same size as me!

moorlikeit Fri 14-Jun-19 10:37:53

Shaming people never works so maybe a more positive approach will have a better effect.

Margs Fri 14-Jun-19 10:52:13

Yes, in all adverts for Gym & Fitness centres the "typical" clients in the photos all look like dead ringers for the entire cast of "Friends"!

Not a spare ounce of fat, Hollywood teeth & hair and no-one over 29......

Minerva Fri 14-Jun-19 11:40:39

I don’t know who Tanya Gold is but I’m not surprised since she writes for the Telegraph.

I’m a size 14/16, 5ft9in tall and very slim so calling size 16 ‘hefty’ is silly for a start.

I go to the gym and we have loads of larger ladies there, needing bigger sizes of gym wear and I think they will love to be able to buy proper gym clothes rather than having to wear a baggy tee shirt and leggings. I know Adidas are not producing clothes to fit the mannequin out of the kindness of their heart but bully for them anyway.

I don’t know who Tanya Gold is but I’m not surprised since she writes for the Telegraph.

I’m a size 14/16, 5ft9in tall and very slim so calling size 16 ‘hefty’ is silly for a start.

I go to the gym and we have loads of larger ladies there, needing bigger sizes of gym wear and I think they will love to be able to buy proper gym clothes rather than having to wear a baggy tee shirt and leggings. I know Adidas are not producing clothes to fit the mannequin out of the kindness of their heart but bully for them anyway.

Does Ms. Gold mean that larger woman going to the gym appropriately dressed is going to make us slimmer beings think, what’s the point in keeping slim since I can buy plus size gym gear. How silly is that.

My daughter had a serious accident and the immobility for the best part of three years and the effect of the medication left her overweight and she was too embarrassed to go exercising. Fat shaming is just nasty whether it’s men or women.

Minerva Fri 14-Jun-19 11:41:20

I don’t know what happened there but apologies?

FC61 Fri 14-Jun-19 12:02:03

Ofcourse larger people should have access to the appropriate clothing to do their exercise in ! Well done Nike ! Inclusive not exclusive! I loathe abusive people doesn’t matter what it’s about , fat, age, race, gender.

Tillybelle Fri 14-Jun-19 12:10:11

GabriellaG54 {grin] grin grin