Gransnet forums

News & politics

Channel 4 debate

(180 Posts)
Anja Mon 17-Jun-19 06:49:56

If that load of idiots is the best that’s in offer for the next PM then ‘We’re Doomed!’.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 17-Jun-19 11:00:08

Didn't watch it as I am sick to death of the whole thing. I spent yesterday, a wet afternoon, discussing events with friends and we were all of the same mind, even if we try to ignore this B an Tory fighting its still there.

EllanVannin Mon 17-Jun-19 11:02:48

Boris won't come clean on his thoughts for Brexit ! I've said before that he's a closet remainer but he'll never admit it so does a vanishing trick to get out of any embarrassment.
This man's no good if he can't stand up to his own beliefs. He's a waffler who deviates from the truth. Doesn't kid me !

Urmstongran Mon 17-Jun-19 11:07:37

Team Boris are very slick. They’ve done their homework.
?

GuestCorrectly Mon 17-Jun-19 11:09:21

There’s clearly a problem when Rory Stewart is the only one I thought talked any sense and yet I’ve always thought him weird. Also his voting record in Parliament does nothing to charm me.

keffie Mon 17-Jun-19 11:10:24

Granny Gravy, Boris is known as a liar, a cheat manipulative, ego centric, lazy and does not give a damn about anyone.

He is a narcissist who has the unusual "quality" of making people laugh. He is put out of the same ilk as Trump and Farage

He has been sacked from two large media papers for outrageous lies. Involved in a set up to get someone beaten up and has been fined 3 times for the lies he told in the leave campaign.

He also fathered a child out of marriage whilst he was married and lied about it too to The Tory party committee. He is a serial philanderer who would sell his Grandma down the river for anything he wants

It's all about him and when he gets what he wants loses interest. I know two people who in there words have had the unfortunancy to work with him and witness how he plays

His antics and behaviour are well known in his world. The only reason he gets away with it is because a section of the population and those around him are like "hes a bit of a bumbling fool and a good laugh"

That does not make good P M material. Still if he wins the truth will soon out. Only so long the spin can work for.

The best of of a bad bunch is Rory Stewart who talks sense but wont get elected cos he doesn't talk the Tory delusion.

There will have to be a G.E and a confirmatory vote at some stage.

We wont leave in October. The Irish border cannot be solved and it cannot be ignored either. The withdrawal treaty states that if you read it. Section 10 if my memory serves me right makes that very clear. It cannot be changed.

It's either the deal bought by May or revoke and stay. As much as they pontificate that is the reality.

Nothing will change under a new leader. The same problems remain.

There is a special place in hell to quote Donsld Tusk with Cameron heading it for those who started this

Urmstongran Mon 17-Jun-19 11:16:51

Remainers love Rory.
Leavers need Boris.

123coco Mon 17-Jun-19 11:34:38

* Urmstongran*. You are really unbelievable in your ignorance!

Whingingmom Mon 17-Jun-19 11:36:43

I’m not sure about Ch 4, but BBC gets £4 billion pa from the EU apparently. Even more disgusting re licence fees
www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/06/bbc-faces-brexit-bias-accusations-4m-eu-funding/amp/

Whingingmom Mon 17-Jun-19 11:39:53

Sorry£4m - still too much!!

Elvive Mon 17-Jun-19 11:40:11

Yes, well done new lady. She has forced him to ditch the cheese and pate and tamed his hair. It's all good.

varian Mon 17-Jun-19 11:40:28

The Brexit Broadcasting Corporation has been extremely biased against the EU for a very long time. Why else would they have invited liar Farage to appear on QT 29 times in the years before the referendum?

knspol Mon 17-Jun-19 11:44:02

I watched only the first half and the very worrying thing for me was that Michael Gove seemed to be the candidate who spoke most clearly and decisively - heaven help us all.

maxdecatt Mon 17-Jun-19 12:02:36

We need tough negotiators and the shower on TV last night are not tough. Get businessmen around the table.
The fundamental misunderstanding among the current would-be leaders is that Mrs May negotinated a deal with the EU. However it was subject to approval by the UK parliament and they have rejected it three times. So, NO DEAL acceptable to the UK actually exsists and they should stop referring to "the deal with the EU"...because there is no such deal. Mrs May is out of the picture and with her went "her" deal. A new Prime Minister will have to meet with the EU and both sides start from square one to work out a deal acceptable to Britain and the EU. Our side must now make it clear that the £39 billion the EU want (originally they demanded over £80 billion) is also fresh on the table and is part and parcel of any deal. No acceptable deal from the EU means no £39 billion from the UK. It is very simple. Tell the EU: Be reasonable and all are happy. Play your games as you did with Mrs May and you kiss your £39 billion goodbye. A way to focus EU minds is to make the £39 billion part of the negotiating period. A deal in four weeks earns £39 billion. Dragging their heels as per EU normal behaviour will see the pot of gold shrink by £10 billion for every week they delay beyond the first four weeks. So a deal in four weeks and get it all. Continue your EU style delay and procrastination for 8 weeks and you get bugger all. It is a racing certainty that an acceptable deal will be agreed in less than four weeks. The EU cannot afford to lose that £39 billion, if they do they will be bankrupt in about a year.... unless they really cut their overheads to the bone, something those spendthrifts will never be abl;e to do..

maxdecatt Mon 17-Jun-19 12:03:47

VARIAN.,. Farage was invited back multiple times because he is the only one with anything sensible to say.

lemongrove Mon 17-Jun-19 12:04:52

?????????? max......if only, eh?

lemongrove Mon 17-Jun-19 12:08:35

The Beeb invited NF varian on QT so many times because they knew he would bring in viewers and there would be controversy, also perhaps he was willing to take part so often, it wasn’t a conspiracy.

winterwhite Mon 17-Jun-19 12:12:16

Well, whoever wins will automatically be prime minister so I think fair enough that the nation has a chance to hear what the candidates think. The televised snippets were of course the few acrimonious bits. On the whole it was good tempered.
Not enough about policies / funding / taxation, but that was down to the questions chosen in advance by Channel 4.
I thought Boris did himself harm by not attending. Who does he think he is to be above public participation? I'm surprised that so many people seem to think it clever and wise of him not to say what he thinks at such a crucial moment. Supercilious might be another word.

humptydumpty Mon 17-Jun-19 12:13:15

In 2009 Nick Griffin was on QT for BNP and made a complete prat of himself, great!

Ginny42 Mon 17-Jun-19 12:16:34

Crikey Max! Clearly Mrs May was unaware there was such an eloquent negotiator available to out-fox those pesky Europeans. It's all so easy standing back shouting from the sidelines, but it's the key players on the pitch who have to score the goals.

varian Mon 17-Jun-19 12:31:52

There are 73 Maps representing the UK in the European Parliament yet during the years before the referendum liar Farage appeared on QT 29 times and the only other MEP ever invited was ultra-brexitty Tory Daniel Hannan who was invited once.

Hannan is another liar. He told us during the campaign "no one is talking about leaving the single market" which he now denies saying.

Utterly disgraceful bias by the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation.

grandmac Mon 17-Jun-19 13:04:07

Did favour Rory Stewart until I saw him being interviewed by a female journalist where he was sprawled in a chair with his legs as far apart as was possible. Such disrespectful behaviour shows ignorance, arrogance and rudeness IMO. Not good qualities in a leader.

travelsafar Mon 17-Jun-19 13:11:00

I too fell under the spell of Rory Stewart .

Elvive Mon 17-Jun-19 13:12:55

Was it the spreading legs that did it travel?

sarahellenwhitney Mon 17-Jun-19 13:17:04

Theoddbird.
Wise man Boris in not wishing to be part of a 'free for all'.

Tillybelle Mon 17-Jun-19 13:33:13

Boris was remiss for his cowardly refusal to stand up and be counted. He was too frightened to be the only person who says we should agree to a no-deal Brexit.

I don't think it was a "Bear-pit". It should be a lively and challenging debate. If anything it was not all that challenging.

I think the only things Rory Stewart has against him are his looks and his posh background and voice. He is a decent caring man imho.

As Boris J. couldn't face the crowd or be bothered to stand up and speak, I will give a wonderful testimonial from one of his previous employers:

“Boris is a gold medal egomaniac… His chaotic public persona is not an act – he is, indeed, manically disorganised about everything except his own image management. He is also a far more ruthless, and frankly nastier, figure than the public appreciates… I would not take Boris’s word about whether it is Monday or Tuesday… He is not a man to believe in, to trust or respect, save as a superlative exhibitionist. He is bereft of judgment, loyalty and discretion. Only in the star-crazed, friviolous Britain of the 21st century could such a man have risen so high, and he is utterly unfit to go higher still.”
Sir Max Hastings