Gransnet forums

News & politics

Channel 4 debate

(180 Posts)
Anja Mon 17-Jun-19 06:49:56

If that load of idiots is the best that’s in offer for the next PM then ‘We’re Doomed!’.

GrandmaKT Mon 17-Jun-19 13:50:52

maxdecatt you seem to think that the £39 billion is some sort of punitive divorce settlement being demanded by the EU.
It is actually money that the UK owes the EU for projects already committed to that are ongoing until next year. If we renege on paying it we are unlikely to be viewed in a positive light by any potential new trading partners!
As for the EU "dragging their heels" - words fail me!!!

ReadyMeals Mon 17-Jun-19 13:55:20

I don't know why they call this new style of politics show a "debate". They are not debates, they're kind of panel shows like gardeners question time, but with politicians rather than botanists.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 17-Jun-19 13:59:12

I didn't watch it either. What was the point? It's not as though Ch 4 viewers have a vote on it. Complete and utter nonsense.

luluaugust Mon 17-Jun-19 15:54:23

Exactly , as we have no vote why bother with this broadcast.

crystaltipps Mon 17-Jun-19 15:57:35

It was Father’s Day so perhaps Boris was busy.

Nanniejc1 Mon 17-Jun-19 16:21:19

I agree Urmonsgran us leavers want Boris....Remainers want Rory,he seems weak & wet to me but there who am I to say & I’m sure that Boris will have lots of clever people to advise him on the best course of action.......to be honest it’s like ‘last chance saloon’ for the Conservative Party because they will never be forgiven if they don’t take us out of the EU & can’t imagine anyone would want to see Corbin as PM!!

Tillybelle Mon 17-Jun-19 16:22:31

crystaltipps grin ??

Nanniejc1 Mon 17-Jun-19 16:31:56

I personally don’t see why we should pay the EU a penny & it should certainly be on the table when negotiating.We need a strong negotiating team ,not one that is going to just except what they are told (like May).Farage should be included,he would be a strong negotiator as would Rabb,Rees Mogg ,Sir Bill Cash etc.Believe it or not Farage gets invited on to tv programmes because he actually has a personality,is entertaining & says things that lots of people want to hear.

Iam64 Mon 17-Jun-19 16:45:14

When you leave a club, there are consequences. Leave the gymn or golf club, you still pay the gees you signed up for. Is the EU any different ? The leaving fee was never on the side of a bus

Greta Mon 17-Jun-19 17:11:55

We now have 6 candidates who all know that they, and only they, can deliver Brexit. It must therefore be a matter of possessing a particular personality trait that Teresa May lacks. She could not negotiate a proper deal but now it will all change because Superman will just do it.
I hear Matthew Hancock has decided to support Boris. Could it possibly be that he (Hancock) believes Boris will win the race and give MH a ministerial post? Plus ça change!

suzied Mon 17-Jun-19 17:16:47

They are just jostling to rearrange the deckchairs on the Titanic.

GillT57 Mon 17-Jun-19 17:34:14

nanniejc1 as has been said many times, the 39bn is not a fine, it represents costs for ongoing commitments and projects that we signed up while still members of the EU, including pension costs for people like Farage.

Ginny42 Mon 17-Jun-19 17:50:24

Nanniejcl I see that you wish Farage to be on the negotiating team for us leaving the EU. The EU is his employer and paymaster in a job which has paid him handsomely for not attending meetings he was supposed to chair. A job with pension rights many people would regard as seeing them well set up for their retirement.

If he is on the negotiating team he will be being paid a salary by the EU whilst he negotiates the UK leaving. Bizarre.

Marieeliz Mon 17-Jun-19 17:51:06

Rory Stewart would have to ask Mummy for the money. Read article where when in Afghanistan he had no money and asked a journalist for some. He said Mummy would pay it back. Enough said.

Riverwalk Mon 17-Jun-19 18:07:21

I've noted that Stewart's Wiki page no longer refers to him as having been a Governor/Deputy Governor of an Iraqi province, he's now said to have been a Deputy Governorate Co-Ordinator.

I'm wondering just how much of Afghanistan he really did walk, supposedly across the whole country.

Firecracker123 Mon 17-Jun-19 18:08:00

Theresa May is backing Rory Stewart that's a good enough reason Not to back him, I think he's an EU plant pushing her crap deal.

dayvidg Mon 17-Jun-19 18:09:43

Regarding the Question Time 'bias', whilst by no means seeing all of Farage's appearances, those I did see he was the only non-remainer on the panel.

Ginny42 Mon 17-Jun-19 18:13:35

Marieeliz, read about his work in Afghanistan before ridiculing him. He helped to restore the old part of Kabul, establishing a clinic and a primary school and at one point was imprisoned by the Taliban. Mother's boy? I don't think so.

Anniebach Mon 17-Jun-19 18:32:49

I like Rory Stewart, perhaps next time

Ilovecheese Mon 17-Jun-19 18:44:06

Quote from Caroline Lucas
"Watching C4 debate, hearing so many pledges about righting wrongs and so many promises about tackling injustice, makes me wish that these men had been in government so they could have had a chance to implement them

Oh wait....."

She articulates what I thought watching the debates.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 17-Jun-19 18:49:49

What everyone thought with any intelligence ilove

maxdecatt Mon 17-Jun-19 19:15:47

GRANDMAKT If the £39 billion is our portion of what we are obliged to psay why did the EU initially chance its arm and demand almost £90 billion ? They will take whatever they can get. I do not propose reneging on the £39 billion but I believe our paying it should be part and parcel of the deal that is to be done. It is the best bargaining chip on the table and must be used. Remember that the EU accountants have refused to sign the annual accounts for over 19 YEARS. Accountants only do that when they do not like, do not believe, the financial claims of a business. In other words when they think and know that the books are crooked. So, by definition, that means the accontants employed to audit the EU regard it as a deeply crooked organisation that is unchanged for almost two decades. Do you want to be part of an organisation that cannot produce an honest balance sheet? If so move to France or Italy, both have dodgy financial records.

maxdecatt Mon 17-Jun-19 19:38:27

Ginny 42. You are trying to be sarcastic but fail rsather badly.
I suggested we get real negotiators around the table. Mrs. May could not negotiate her way out of a wet paper bag. She was regarded as a successful Home Scretary because in that post there is no negotiation. All that a Home Secretary does is implement laid down governnment policy. She rubber stamped Windrush, she sent vans around the streets telling immigrants to go home or be thrown out. There was no negotiation...she was simply "following orders". She should have been a Civil Servant.....brain in neutral, no initiative, no room for common sense. It was never "her deal". It was what the EU told her the deal was to be. She did not negotiate....remember that she was sent out of the room while the "big people" discussed the issue..... and then she meekly accepted their diktat. Any British Prime Minister worthy of the title would have told them to get stuffed and just walked out. Can you imagine Margaret Thatcher putting up with the unelected EU officials tellling her that she could not meet with the other heads of state to talk about Brixit? Can you imagine her sitting in a side room and eating alone while the EU types had dinner together? Can you imagine Maggie being snubbed in the photo line-up and left iso;lated and alone. Her handbag would have smacked a few arrogant heads, especially those of Juncker and Tusk (both failed politiciuans in their own countries) and she would have told them off in public.

Marieeliz Mon 17-Jun-19 19:44:02

Ginny42, no one else seems to have brought that up and I'm sure they would have if it was correct. He looks like a typical Public School boy. It was probably his gap year. The journalist said Mummy sent her the money.

seadragon Mon 17-Jun-19 19:56:15

Yes, I heard that programme too, Sealover and promoted it on Facebook. As for the debate, please don't be deceived by Rory's frail physical appearance. Anyone who has read about his life before parliament, knows just how tough he is.