Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris v Hunt debate

(137 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 09-Jul-19 21:07:56

What did you think?

I thought it held together well.
And that Boris just edged it. But that could be because he’s popular.

Or that hearing yet again that Hunt is an entrepreneur is cringe worthy!

Riverwalk Tue 09-Jul-19 21:28:47

Johnson evaded many questions e.g.

Keeping the British Ambassador in the US
HS2
Third Runway

Hunt gave these an unequivocal 'yes' knowing they could be unpopular in certain parts.

Iam64 Tue 09-Jul-19 21:33:00

What riverwalk said
Additionally, Boris fell into Flashman mode, talking over Hunt and the interviewer.
I was disappointed that Boris failed to express support for our Ambassador to the US

Charleygirl5 Tue 09-Jul-19 21:44:02

Yes, what Riverwalk said. He also ranted on as usual what he did when he was mayor of London but forgot conveniently of the millions of £££ he wasted.

mcem Tue 09-Jul-19 21:47:27

Lots of bluster. Few straight answers.
Par for the course.

Sara65 Tue 09-Jul-19 22:03:32

I didn’t feel either did especially well, I can’t bear Boris, and tonights program certainly didn’t change my mind

Jeremy Hunt was also slightly disappointing, I don’t think we know any more now than we did before.

Totally unmoved by the whole thing

Calendargirl Tue 09-Jul-19 22:07:43

Well, it was a more interesting debate than the BBC one was. Julie Etchingham was a much better presenter, kept them in order (with difficulty) and we heard more questions from the audience.

paddyann Tue 09-Jul-19 22:45:58

I didn't watch it ,no point we dont get any say in who the next PM is and if i had any choice it wouldn't be either of these clowns .Both known liars and incompetent at their jobs in the past,both made a mess of cabinet posts they held before WHAT's to like about them?

Greenfinch Tue 09-Jul-19 22:54:01

Agree with Riverwalk and mcem.Very few straight answers from Boris who seemed to treat the whole thing as one big joke.

cornergran Tue 09-Jul-19 23:05:35

Yes, I also agree with riverwalk and mcem, Boris waffled and to me seemed dismissive of some questions and by association the questioners. I thought Jeremy often appeared to be trying to introduce something more concrete. Whether either spoke the truth only time will tell.

maddyone Tue 09-Jul-19 23:10:49

Agree with paddyann in that as we don’t get a vote, it seems pretty pointless. It seems to me that the Boris haters will still hate him, and those who don’t trust Hunt will still distrust him. I thought the presenter was very poor, both men spoke over the other, but Hunt did it more.

lilypollen Tue 09-Jul-19 23:19:52

I've voted!

Dinahmo Tue 09-Jul-19 23:21:12

I'm hoping that BJ wins, he'll crash and burn and we'll have a general election. At times he was incoherent and talked over
JH.

Luckylegs Tue 09-Jul-19 23:26:40

Boris wouldn’t answer a question, waffled constantly over Hunt and Julie, would not shut up to allow his opponent to speak, refused to answer why he hadn’t done his homework on Nazanin, refused to back the Ambassador, refused to criticise Trump for his remarks about Teresa May, etc etc. Appalling boorish behaviour! And the audience clapped his every utterance! We are going to get what we deserve!

trueblue22 Tue 09-Jul-19 23:38:37

I thought BJ sounded positive and has a 'can do attitude, which we really need at the moment.

JH was too critical of BJ, which doesn't reflect well on him. Bleating on that he was an entrepreneur all the time has a diminishing effect.

I'm voting for BJ, now that I've seen them head to head.

Labaik Tue 09-Jul-19 23:46:57

Didn't realise that all we need from the Prime Minister of this country is a 'can do' attitude. Blow me; if I'd known I would have applied for the job myself....

Peonyrose Wed 10-Jul-19 07:03:36

Boris the Bumbler, doesn't give a straight answer,because he hadn't one, talks over people, doesn't listen, boorish and loves himself. He and Trump perfectly matched.
Hunt, well he's like a cold sausage. . Tries to promote himself as a man of the people, which he isn't, any more than Boris is. He knows how to behave and dies give a straight answer and have opinions and wouldn't constantly be putting his foot in it and causing chaos.
It would be funny if it wasn't so serious, neither one suitable in my opinion.
Fear we will have Boris the Bumbler, which will inevitable mean a General Election which will let the other dysfunctional lot in.

Madgran77 Wed 10-Jul-19 07:17:57

Norris didnt answer the questions and sadly was allowed to bypass the one about his major major mess up over the woman imprisoned in Iran ...he waffled and did not address his blatant error! Really annoyed me. Agree presenter generally did valiantly. Boris was his usual soundbites waffle and "humour". Humt was politer and trying to get a word in here and there but not that great overall ! Oh dear!!!

GracesGranMK3 Wed 10-Jul-19 07:30:16

Listening to Today interviewing those with a vote there were several saying they were choosing the best of a bad lot whoever they backed.

I see we may be going into recession again too. Watching last night all I can say is 'heaven help us'.

Sara65 Wed 10-Jul-19 07:35:31

I agree that Boris seemed to treat the whole thing as a joke, he was playing for laughs, which given the seriousness of the situation, was pretty distasteful

But I couldn’t warm to Jeremy Hunt either, although, I think he may be the lesser of two evils

LullyDully Wed 10-Jul-19 07:50:45

We watched five minutes then turned on something more interesting.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Jul-19 07:59:17

Anybody have a clue what the next prime ministers policies are?

No?

Neither does anyone else. Who was it said

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jul-19 07:59:48

Where was the substance in this debate ? It was non-existent.

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jul-19 08:02:03

Boris the bluffer. He hasn't got a clue.

Sara65 Wed 10-Jul-19 08:02:23

Ellanvannin

I agree, they just seemed to want to drag the hour out, without actually saying anything, it was pointless, and painful viewing