Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nationalising our water companies makes so much sense

(27 Posts)
EllanVannin Wed 10-Jul-19 09:57:19

Indeed, there are some things to which nationalising them would be the answer, utility companies for a start. These should be in the hands of the public. In fact everything bar the NHS to my mind.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Jul-19 09:28:16

I live in the Southern Water region, and it has recently been severely criticised for pumping raw sewerage into the sea.

The EA carries out water sampling on a daily basis at a certain time if day, and it appeared that the quality of sea water whilst not good was acceptable. But the reports of water borne illness continued. Eventually spot checks were decided on. These showed a disgusting level of sewerage was present where young children were playing in the water and others swimming etc. One wonders how the company was manipulating the water quality? I leave that for you to work out for yourselves.

The EA is prosecuting. The maximum fine is £20k. To improve the water companies pumping stations and install the necessary equipment will cost 10s of millions. The water company will take a £20k hit any day if the week against such a huge expenditure.

The sell off of the water companies by the Tories was billed as a good free market decision blah blah.
Nothing could be further from the truth. It is a monopoly( and I’m stuck with a product that I don’t want and pay dearly for. Meters were forced on us a few years ago.
Even our drinking water is suspect.