Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson and Brexit

(1001 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Jul-19 08:20:33

In his statement Johnson underlined his pledge to ditch the Irish backstop, and ramp up preparations for no deal, and to leave on 31st October regardless of what happens.

Mays withdrawal agreement has been binned, however in a phone call Juncker signalled the EU27s intention of sticking with the deal already negotiated by the British Government. This includes the backstop.

Juncker told Johnson that the EU would be prepared to alter the political declaration.
Ireland has declared itself as “alarmed”
Barnier signalled that Johnson’s rhetoric almost certainly meant that the U.K. was going into a GE.

Expect a huge public information campaign and a large level of spending in preparation for no deal.

lemongrove Sun 28-Jul-19 09:08:34

Labaik you are copying and pasting chunks without citing your sources, your first one was from before March.

If,as a result of us leaving the EU the Scots have a referendum ( can’t see it happening soon) and decide to leave our union, then so be it.They could well have decided that way at their last referendum btw.
There must be a united Ireland at some time in the future ( and I say that as one with Irish family and connections) but that won’t arrive for quite a time.
Wales is too integrated with England now to break away, but like England keeps it’s own traditions and has certain powers.

lemongrove Sun 28-Jul-19 09:12:53

WWM3......how exactly? Unless Johnson can get something changed : as Parliament has rejected the May deal three times now. There can only be an orderly Brexit if the EU are prepared to alter things.If not, the default legal position is that we leave without a deal.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 28-Jul-19 09:19:53

No, I don’t think the cost is worth it GracesGran. I want the U.K. to stay together but, the majority of people who bothered to vote in the 2016 referendum voted to leave and that’s what must happen. [Sun 28-Jul-19 08:24:53]

Thank you for replying Boosgran. It sounds as if you, for one, are prepared to break up the United Kingdom.

Is there anything in life (other than death) that "must happen". Why, on just this one occasion, may we not allowed to change our minds if we chose to. The law doesn't stop us. Our democracy doesn't stop us. What exactly would stop us?

GracesGranMK3 Sun 28-Jul-19 09:27:05

I don’t agree jura2 regarding a second referendum.

How would you feel if there was a third option, apart from
No Deal and Remain. If we had Revoke, research and review would it make a difference?

If we did this we could revoke and then plan properly and inform by way of Citizens Assemblies. We could then have a final vote knowing we had information (not just political leanings) and a plan.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 28-Jul-19 09:28:16

Sorry, that post was in reply to Boosgran's post of Sun 28-Jul-19 08:51:32

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jul-19 10:20:30

lemon you have a very happy knack of stating the bleeding obvious. Yes yes and yes. All true.

Politicians are working to change that.

Get it?

Yorath0 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:05:14

Why we voted leave
By JOHNREDWOOD | Published: MARCH 23, 2018
On 23rd June 2016 17.4 million voters told Parliament we should leave the EU.

Leave voters voted to take back control.

We voted to take back control of our money, our laws and our borders.

We voted to be a sovereign people again.

The overarching aim is to restore our freedoms

To become self governing as we used to be

We wish our Parliaments to frame our laws

To levy and spend out taxes

To make our borders safe

To award the precious gift of citizenship to those we choose to invite

We did not vote in the belief that future Parliaments will always be wise

Nor that they will always get it right

We voted to restore powers to Parliament because it is our Parliament

We can lobby and influence it

We can dismiss it and replace the MPs when they no longer please.

I find it surprising that some find it difficult to understand this overriding wish

For it is based on our long standing pursuit of freedom

It springs from our history

The history of the UK is the story of the long march of every man and every woman to the vote

The story of asserting the rule of law against all, however mighty.

We prize the gift of freedom under the law for all on an equal basis

We share an aversion to slavery

A dislike of military rule

A resistance to arbitrary government

A rejection of the patronising errors of elites

A distaste for overmighty bureaucracies cramping our freedoms

A belief that we should be free to do whatever we please unless the laws prevents it

The signposts to democracy run through Magna Carta to the first Parliaments

From the 1660 settlement to the Glorious Revolution

From the Great Reform Act to the triumph of the suffragettes

We carelessly lost some of these freedoms,

casting away much of the power of our vote and voice

by passing powers to the European Union

We allowed the EU to impose laws we did not want

To levy taxes we disagreed with

And to spend our money as they saw fit

Brexit is designed to recall those lost powers

Article johnredwoodsdiary.com/2019/01/10/trading-under-wto-rules/

Best to LEAVE and WTO

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:07:31

Posters might be relieved to know that I have reported the yoratho posts.

This is either a bot or something similar.

I believe that in the past GNHQ have deleted constant cut and paste posts as unacceptable.

Yorath0 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:11:38

Truth hurts. You want to suppress information and truth?

Yorath0 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:13:35

Lets.

LEAVE the EUSSR.

LEAVE and WTO

Let's give Democracy and Freedom a CHANCE.

Yorath0 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:15:22

On the Walls of Athens they write

THE EURO = THE GESTAPO

Yorath0 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:20:19

Without mature, honest, functioning Democracy and Freedom, trade will be irrelevant as eventually we will become all brutalised, with trade and money becoming the least of our worries in some totalitarian state that tells us how to think, how to communicate; it will strangle us one way or another. Democracy and the Will of the People matter. Without it there will be no 'certainty' or security.

Take the 39 billion off the table and keep it for our British people. For to be sure the EU Elite are having a good laugh at us and so laughing at us the people.

The EU Elite have become Animal Farm.

Wake up to Reality.

WTO and LEAVE

Yorath0 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:21:52

LEAVE and WTO

Cymru am byth

Lessismore Sun 28-Jul-19 11:36:45

Are you Johno?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:54:44

Reply from report

GCHQ have said that it definitely isn’t a bot, but is not following GN guidelines, so will remind it to do so.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:54:59

I won’t hold my breath

Grandad1943 Sun 28-Jul-19 12:50:51

lemongrove Quote [ Parliament has rejected the May deal three times now. There can only be an orderly Brexit if the EU are prepared to alter things. If not, the default legal position is that we leave without a deal.] End Quote.

Lemongrove, i seem to recall that many members of this forum stated that the 29th of March this year would be the " default legal position and date for Britain leaving the European Union" and therefore Britain would most definitely be leaving under those circumstances and on that date. One member was so sure of the above happening that what must have been a very expensive "Welsh Lamb Hog Roast" was booked for that night.

However, that default legal position and date came and went and Britain is still in the European Union. Therefore I feel that to state that the United Kingdom will be leaving the EU once again out of any set legal position or date could turn out to be once again an entirely wrong prophecy.

Bear in mind the old adage "never count your chickens before they are hatched." ?

Grandad1943 Sun 28-Jul-19 12:59:38

I believe anyone reading Yorath0 posts on this thread will very quickly come to realise why Britain has passed into the Brexit crisis we now have.grin

Thoughts of a great leaver.....Hey

POGS Sun 28-Jul-19 14:14:41

WW

'GCHQ have said that it definitely isn’t a bot, but is not following GN guidelines, so will remind it to do so.'----

GCHQ? Blimey!

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Jul-19 14:43:09

gringringrin
GCHQ?

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Jul-19 14:44:03

Freudian slip Whitewave? Or maybe you know something we don’t!

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Jul-19 14:46:26

Truth hurts. You want to suppress information and truth

No Yorath just bored with your lengthy and tedious copy and paste jobs.
You take a very long time to say precisely zilch.

lemongrove Sun 28-Jul-19 14:51:53

There is nothing that the moderate ( as you term them) MP’s can do to ensure an orderly Brexit WWM2 so you are rather naive to assume they can.
As to ‘the bleeding obvious’ ( to use your own words) it sometimes needs saying....as not all recognise the truth and it needs to be said ( again and again if necessary.)

Agree Grandad there could be a GE which if Labour won,
Things could change with regards to Brexit, but if that didn’t happen,( no GE )then it seems we will be on course to leave.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jul-19 15:31:51

Pogs??????

lemon you should direct your naivety remark to Hammond,Gauke, Letwin, Clark,Grieve, Cooper And Starmer.

I am just the messenger. It is their proposal not mine.

The bleeding obvious does get tedious though.

jura2 Sun 28-Jul-19 15:35:02

oh it does, for sure.

And don't tell me anyone voted for No Deal- it was never ever part of the Campaign, neither was making the country poorer for 50+ years.

www.facebook.com/PeoplesVoteUK/videos/350817268922781/

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion