Gransnet forums

News & politics

Post Brexit food

(243 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Aug-19 07:45:55

The BBC is reporting about food suppliers plans post Brexit and their efforts to try to keep the food supply flowing.

It is clear that the biggest issue is going to be around fresh fruit and vegetables and the sufficient level to ensure that there is no shortage.

However, if, in the event of a shortage I think that the government should definitely introduce a form of rationing, in order that the wealthy, those living close to lots of stores etc should not be able to snap up this essential part of our diet at the expense of the poor and vulnerable.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Aug-19 07:51:41

What a situation this country is in to even be imagining food rationing in the C21st We have just had, 10 years of austerity and now the promise of food rationing
It’s a total disgrace and the government and the other parties that have allowed this to happen should be totally and utterly ashamed of themselves

Peonyrose Wed 07-Aug-19 07:54:58

Start planting your gardens and window boxes.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Aug-19 08:19:44

Competition laws may be suspended, and government is to direct the food supply.

October 31st is the worst date that could be chosen.

Domestic crops coming to an end and food supplies from abroad hit in.

Christmas looks dodgy this year, lots of ingredients look to be in short supply.

Firecracker123 Wed 07-Aug-19 08:24:52

Project Fear ? we've heard it all before.

Pantglas1 Wed 07-Aug-19 08:33:05

One of my friends is already moaning that she won’t be able to get strawberries for her trifle on Boxing Day.... why don’t folks just eat local food in season?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Aug-19 08:34:50

I heard an interview with a "supermarket executive" where he said that one of the biggest contributing factors in there being empty shelves in the case of a no deal Brexit is panic buying by shoppers.

I think we all need to take a deep breath, and carry on as normal.

Daisymae Wed 07-Aug-19 08:39:39

I think that ignoring the evidence that is accumulating is rather sticking your head in the sand. We're in for a rocky ride, the only question will be just how rough it's going to get. Still we have Boris at the helm.

Carillion01 Wed 07-Aug-19 08:40:05

I could send you food parcels from Brittany but will possibly be on the ferry back having been told to 'remove' from France?! ?
Not smiling really.

Urmstongran Wed 07-Aug-19 08:47:07

We won’t starve I’m sure.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Aug-19 09:00:23

There is a lot of nonsense being talked on this thread.

firecracker what an extraordinary and silly statement. We have the food suppliers, the doctors the haulage industry all warning us about the chaos being caused by this clapped out ideology. Yet you choose to believe - who? You haven’t the first clue and your sort of ignorance is bringing this country to its knees.

pantglas saying that we should eat our local food in season, shows an ignorance about the ability of our agriculturists ability to provide sufficient food during the winter months.

The produce simply isn’t there.

grannygravy the panic buying will simply make a bad matter worse. That is all. There will be shortage whether there is panic buying or not.

In order to avoid panic buying and ensuring that the wealthy and middle class grab the most there will have to be some sort of rationing. You cannot expect the standard of behaviour you are describing, people simply look after number one.

MaizieD Wed 07-Aug-19 09:10:56

I can't see there being any rationing, Ww2 because that would have to be organised and publicised well in advance and might well alert too many members of the public to the unmitigated disaster about to unfold. Which would lead to even earlier panic buying and, I suspect, protests which might become violent.

Of course, the panic buying in itself could well lead to violence. We don't, as a society, seem to be quite as restrained as we were during the 70s era of panic buying.

Pantglas1 Wed 07-Aug-19 09:14:25

I too make a trifle on Boxing Day - using blackberries and raspberries picked and frozen this autumn.....but I know it is beyond the wit of many to think that way!

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 09:23:55

I was going to make a sarky comment about trifling problems, but I'm just incredulous.

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 09:24:33

How do people in inner city flats buy local?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Aug-19 09:26:22

God almighty pantglas are you for real?

Do you think that there will sufficient vegetables and fruit to go around.

Imagine if the whole of the U.K. did what you are suggesting I’ve never heard such stupidity in my life.

Firecracker123 Wed 07-Aug-19 09:33:09

Whitewave for God's sake give it a rest with your constant doomsayer predictions, do you trawl the Internet to find these so called experts.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Aug-19 09:43:16

firecracker for gods sake give it a rest with your constant refusal to listen to those people who are experts in their field. You don’t have to trawl the internet, you only have to read the paper and listen to the BBC.

It isn’t beyond your wit surely to do that?

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 09:48:06

Nobody needs to trawl the internet or listen to experts to follow what's been going on. Couple that with general knowledge about the UK's food supply and it really isn't rocket science to make a reasonable prediction.

Minniemoo Wed 07-Aug-19 09:59:03

These threads are going to end up with the 3 or 4 of you who are forecasting the end of the world just chatting to each other. Your assumed superiority and disinclination to hear anyone else's opinion is putting people off. There is no discussion. No debate. Just that you're right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. And stupid. Or silly .. I've seen silly cropping up now.

Your endless supply of experts seem to come from Guardian articles .. yet you laugh at people who have been brainwashed by the right wing press. Could the same not be said for those who use the extremely pro-EU, left leaning paper? Have you been brain washed?

I have a child who is working as a cancer research scientist. We've had many a discussion about this. The work with both the EU AND the rest of the world (who you seem to forget about) are all still collaborating, (they always will) and despite his earlier fears he has been reassured by Professors of all nationalities and 'experts' in his field.

So you lot carry on regardless. As someone has said you'll never change anyone's mind. Not that you want to. Do you have problems getting people in the real world to listen to you? It's all pretty pointless on here, really.

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 10:01:03

That's just silly! Nobody is forecasting the end of the world.

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 10:01:44

It's not really surprising you see "silly" cropping up, is it?

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 10:03:04

And yes, I'll carry on regardless. So very condescending of you to grant that.

Minniemoo Wed 07-Aug-19 10:07:03

Actually growstuff, it was you who called me a snowflake once. For a comment that wasn't remotely 'snowflakey'. I have yet to insult any of you with different opinions.

I have friends and family on both sides of the debate. We haven't fallen out. We don't say how stupid the other party is. Would you say all these things to people on this thread if you were to meet them face to face? No, You wouldn't. You'd engage, be polite, listen, disagree. Which is how decent people behave .

This is all so childish as well. Very disappointing to see what one would assume to be a more mature forum with such animosity.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:07:44

Minniemoo

Good and reasoned post.

Yes there are lots of experts in all fields giving their opinions, but, and it is a big but, we have never been in this situation before.

We had the referendum, and it is looking increasingly likely that the UK will leave the EU on 31/11/19 and it is now time to put differences aside and get on with it.

(Before you start talking about medicines, I rely on medication to keep me alive, and have noticed that apart from one item my medications are now coming from outside the EU)