Gransnet forums

News & politics

November 1; Labour/coalition is in power. What should they do first??

(62 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Sat 10-Aug-19 18:12:10

I saw this on another forum where putting Boris in prison was getting many "I agree" clicks.

Another popular suggestion was "Go on bended knees and ask to be readmitted on the same terms as previously enjoyed."

A thirds suggestion was "Find out from security services exactly what they know about the activities of the far-right in the UK linked to international far-right. May didn't act on what she knew. Johnson is involved."

I enjoyed reading them but where do you think we would go from the chaos of Brexit and Johnson?

M0nica Sat 10-Aug-19 18:48:42

Call a general election

Alima Sat 10-Aug-19 19:07:06

Too awful to contemplate.

phoenix Sat 10-Aug-19 19:09:46

Agree, Alima but would add get rid of Cornyn (tin helmet, behind sofa!)

phoenix Sat 10-Aug-19 19:10:31

Damn! Corbyn is what I meant.

paddyann Sat 10-Aug-19 19:17:59

revoke article 50

Day6 Sat 10-Aug-19 19:34:34

What should they do first? Resign en-masse and do us all a favour.

You do love dropping liitle bits of left wing propaganda into your many, many OPs Gracesgran. grin

Planting the seeds of your ideal leftie scenarios come November, where we are all going to hell in a handcart, the country collapses, the public are panic buying and Labour takes the reins, getting rid of the Conservative politicians you hate. hmm

The worse thing about your version of a happy UK would be Corbyn at the helm. Now that is something we really SHOULD worry about.

GillT57 Sat 10-Aug-19 19:35:19

Revoke article 50, swear in a National Government with MPs of all parties who have shown themselves to put country before career. Put laws in place which forbid any government acting on a referendum without at least 80% of electorate voting, and 75% of that 80% voting for a change from existing condition. Having done all of that and got the country back on an even keel, we should get a chancellor who works with HMRC to produce a workable tax system whereby everyone who benefits from infrastructure pays for it so no more Russian dirty money being laundered through unlived in properties. I would then publish tax details of those poisonous newspaper owners who spread the lies and misinformation which many believed; if you knew that the weird Barclay brothers who own The Telegraph lived in Brecqhou, pay hardly any UK income tax and are hated by the people on the island that they bought, it may change your mind about their editorial policy. And breathe......

Barmeyoldbat Sat 10-Aug-19 19:49:48

Revoke Article 50 and and hold a GE. If we go for an election, as seems likely in September Brexit without a deal could well have happened before the GE. What a mess.

Grany Sat 10-Aug-19 19:55:28

GillT57 Agreed most. We have
Labour would do that and more

Boris is friends with bankers McDonnell would call for investigation of financial system.

Anniebach Sat 10-Aug-19 20:21:58

The 3rd Mrs Corbyn use to be a banker

Riverwalk Sat 10-Aug-19 20:24:50

We can't have another GE - if Labour/Coalition is in power that means we've just had one! That would be two elections this side of Christmas shock

Should deport Farage, Javid & Bozzer - they have a right to other nationalities. so no problem with their human rights smile

Barmeyoldbat Sat 10-Aug-19 20:30:09

GillT57 could we have you for Prime Minister.

growstuff Sat 10-Aug-19 20:46:13

Goodness me, Day6. Is that your version of Project Fear?

Dinahmo Sat 10-Aug-19 21:40:42

Revoke Article 50

gillybob Sat 10-Aug-19 23:53:25

With Corbyn in power I say , Run for the hills people.....run for the hills.

Grany Sun 11-Aug-19 05:18:26

Bring in a Labour government for the many I joined because a member because of Corbyn and the fantastic transformative Labour polices

. The only Party that will properly fund the NHS and Fantastic green agenda among other badly needed polices.

BradfordLass72 Sun 11-Aug-19 05:21:08

Make moaning against the law.

RosieLeah Sun 11-Aug-19 06:48:51

I'm with you on that one, Bradfordlass. With all the terrible things happening around the world, let's be thankful we live in the West and only have Brexit to worry us.

Our country must be a wonderful place, else people wouldn't be taking to canoes to get here!

Urmstongran Sun 11-Aug-19 07:30:40

I agree with your comments Day6!

Urmstongran Sun 11-Aug-19 07:31:28

And with you BradfordLass and RoseLeah!

Grandad1943 Sun 11-Aug-19 07:55:32

The opening poster has not stated under what conditions a Labour party Government has come to power in those early days of November. It could well be that it has formed a coalition with the Scottish National Party at Westminster, which for me would be the most likely outcome should Labour not hold and an overall majority.

It could also be that Britain has "crashed out" of the European Union with no deal while Parliament was prorogued for the election campaign.

In the above situation, I would imagine that the new coalition or a majority Labour government would immediately request the European Union to grant Britain temporary associate member status on the same terms as the United Kingdom holds now while new negotiations are held as to the future relationship of Britain with the EU.

Should the above request be granted by the EU (and there would be no reason for the EU not to grant such a request) then the Negotiations could follow the same path as the Labour Party policy as recently laid out.

That policy is, to hold fresh negotiations on Britons withdraw from the EU, and whatever the outcome of those negotiations that would be placed in front of the United Kingdom electorate for acceptance for leaving on those terms, or an alternative given of remaining within the EU on the present terms.

Should it be that a majority in England, Wales and Northern Ireland elect to leave the EU, but Scotland elects to remain, then powers could be granted the Scottish Parliament to hold a fresh referendum on cessation from the United Kingdom to enable that nation to remain in the European Union.

Nico97 Sun 11-Aug-19 08:55:20

A ? from me Day6 too.

kittylester Sun 11-Aug-19 09:00:22

Organise a People's vote then resign before they make a worse mess of the country.

Anniebach Sun 11-Aug-19 09:00:22

Corbyn wouldn’t be in charge.

MacDonald said he would put Corbyn in a cab and send him to Buckingham Palace.