Gransnet forums

News & politics

Outrage at Tory rhetoric

(61 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 11-Aug-19 09:33:54

Watching the news this morning I became increasingly outraged at the Tory rhetoric. The Tories reduced the police force by over 20,000 between March 2010 and March 2018 but BJ is going to find the money to recruit 20,000.

Pritti Patel is talking about increasing stop and search. I lived in Brixton during the riots in the 80's and the behaviour of arrogant young policemen and the practice of stop and search at that time was one of the causes.

I just don't understand why the public believe the Tories. We've had austerity for more than 10 years which led directly to much of the disaffection that we've been seeing. The current front bench have been around for some, if not all of that time so why didn't they speak out then?

BJ is talking about building more prisons, giving money to the NHS (already earmarked), more money for schools etc etc. the current front bench have been in parliament for some, if not all, of the Tory administration. Why have they done nothing to change Tory policies and why are they doing something now?

B~J is talking about giving money to companies that suffer after 1 November. They don't need to suffer - just cancel it.

Luckygirl Sun 11-Aug-19 09:45:33

I will believe it all when I see it. He may not be in power long anyway - a GE soon is inevitable.

growstuff Sun 11-Aug-19 09:54:48

I can't honestly seeing a GE solving anything, at least not in the next few years.

cangran Sun 11-Aug-19 09:55:10

Well said Dinahmo. I am also astonished! Oh but, all is well as apparently a new Brexit 50p is being minted - that should be worth about 5p!

GillT57 Sun 11-Aug-19 10:04:23

I share your outrage. I wish they would stop talking about 'recruiting additional 20000 police officers' when the more accurate statement would be '' reinstating the 20000 police officers which we should not have cut'. As for all this hang em and flog em populist claptrap from P Patel, it is as if their manifesto is being written by Katie Hopkins. Await nasty comments about benefit cheats as the next announcement

winterwhite Sun 11-Aug-19 10:53:39

Yes, benefits cheats must be due for another airing soon. Today it is thousands more prison 'beds' when so much of the problem is too many people imprisoned unnecessarily and prison sentences often being ineffectual anyway.

Septimia Sun 11-Aug-19 10:59:05

I don't understand why people believe the Labour party either - or, in fact, any politicians. They're all there for their own aggrandizement bar a very few good'uns.

Grandad1943 Sun 11-Aug-19 11:08:33

It always amazes me that these sudden on the hoof billions of pounds spending announcements by this Tory government is being portrayed by the right wing mass media as an act that will save the British economy.

However, when the Labour party speaks on their spending plans that is portrayed by the mass media as an act that would totally ruin the British economy.

As we all witness almost every day on this forum there are many who believe every word they read in the United Kingdoms rabid right-wing media.

Beyond belief. ?

growstuff Sun 11-Aug-19 11:08:34

I don't think many people (certainly on Gransnet) are Labour supporters.

Sorry, but I also think the idea that all MPs are rogues is very UKIPy/BPy and part of the "Parliament versus the people" rhetoric.

growstuff Sun 11-Aug-19 11:10:18

It's actually insulting to all those who have suffered from austerity since 2010 to give the message that they've suffered in vain.

Minniemoo Sun 11-Aug-19 11:15:48

Not sure that people who disagree with you Grandad are all devotees of right wing newspapers. That's a very simplistic way of thinking.

Just like I'm sure you don't get all your idea from the Guardian. What we have to accept is people have different opinions and we should respect that rather than rage at them.

Surely you don't want to live somewhere where everyone has to think the same?

growstuff Sun 11-Aug-19 11:19:49

There aren't many newspapers which aren't right-wing, so if people follow newspapers (either a physical paper or online), the chances are that they do read a right-wing newspaper.

I've never seen evidence that Grandad doesn't respect other people's opinions, despite having very strong views.

Minniemoo Sun 11-Aug-19 11:25:27

I didn't actually say that Grandad was disrespecting anyone. I said we. As in all of us.

I see a lot of disrespect and rudeness directed towards those who maybe be right wing than the other way round. Not only on this forum. It's strange because the left claim to be the tolerant ones.

I think that the issue is that on threads like this it becomes almost a dangerous sport to even suggest that you might quite like Boris and Brexit. So people stay away because they get accused of being racist and liking Farage (which is NOT true) and it becomes unpleasant.

So instead of having reasoned debate it will just consist of all of you who agree with each other which is fine.

growstuff Sun 11-Aug-19 11:26:59

I see a lot of people who don't like their views being challenged and then cry wolf when they are.

growstuff Sun 11-Aug-19 11:28:04

PS. Some of them are racist and like Farage. I wish GN wouldn't delete the racist posts, so people can be shown up for what they are.

Minniemoo Sun 11-Aug-19 11:30:51

I don't see that at all. I just see people saying 'where's your evidence'. It's an opinion. People have opinions. You shouldn't have to back up your opinion with 'evidence' You trot out your experts and say how much you believe in them but there are other experts who disagree with you.

Nobody here can make any difference whatsoever on the outcome of all this.

I am personally of the belief that a No Deal Brexit might not happen.

And I also dislike condemning a group of people who don't agree with me. I wouldn't do it.

Minniemoo Sun 11-Aug-19 11:33:37

I quite agree growstuff. Many of Farage's fans are guilty as charged. Many will come out and blatantly admit it. I've been accosted myself by that sort of person.

But not everyone who voted for Brexit did so for that reason. And certainly not everyone who voted for Brexit would have voted for Farage. Which needs to be accepted.

RosieLeah Wed 14-Aug-19 11:44:19

Minniemoo....I wish there were more like you....so reasonable and accepting that we don't all think the same way.

I voted Leave and when someone asked me why, I made the mistake of giving an honest reply. My post met with outrage and was deleted. The fact is, that many people feel the same way I do but know better than to voice their opinions. The people on this site don't like honesty, even if it is regarded as 'racist'...which actually it wasn't. They don't know the definition of the word.

growstuff Wed 14-Aug-19 11:50:35

Yes, it was.

growstuff Wed 14-Aug-19 11:51:44

Since when have you even tried to understand or accommodate the views of people who disagree with you?

SirChenjin Wed 14-Aug-19 12:13:56

Your post was met with outrage because it was racist Rosie - don't try and pretend it wasn't. It was a horrible comment and showed you in a very poor light, and if you believe that others on here think the same as you then they should also be ashamed of themselves too.

Back to the OP - I agree. Quite why so many people blindly accept the claims made by the Tories without questionning the figures is a mystery.

varian Wed 14-Aug-19 19:07:18

Boris Johnson has accused MPs "who think they can block Brexit" of a "terrible collaboration" with the EU.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49348072

This is yet another shocking use of war-time rhetoric, portraying our EU partners as "the enemy" and those of us (the majority of the popultation) who oppose brexit as "collaborators"

Outrageous and utterly disgusting manipulation of the English language for sordid political ends. No doubt it will go down well with the Daily Mail, Express and The Sun.

Opal Wed 14-Aug-19 19:28:59

those of us (the majority of the popultation) who oppose Brexit - have you personally asked every member of the British public? No, you haven't. Ridiculous statement.

Minniemoo - your posts are the most sensible on here. Sadly, there are some remainers on Gransnet, though not all, who are not prepared to listen to others' opinions. And if anyone dares to disagree on these threads, they're called racists because they supported Leave. According to these particular remainers, if you voted Leave, you must be a racist, or a fascist, or both.

mumofmadboys Wed 14-Aug-19 19:30:30

I think we already imprison far too many people in this country. We should be trying to reduce our prison population rather than increase it. We need investment in youth services, drug education, treatment and rehab and invest in jobs for our school leavers.

varian Wed 14-Aug-19 20:37:07

I have not personally asked every member of the British public what they think but I have noted that the overwhelming evidence of a very large number of opinion polls for more than two years has consistently shown that the majority of the British public want the UK to Remain in the EU. So not a ridiculous statement

whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/should-the-united-kingdom-remain-a-member-of-the-european-union-or-leave-the-european-union-asked-after-the-referendum/