Gransnet forums

News & politics

AIBU to just want to be asked if I still want the fish...

(46 Posts)
Anja Sun 11-Aug-19 14:22:05

I’m not saying there wasn’t a democratic mandate for Brexit at the time.

I’m just suggesting that if I narrowly decided to order fish at a restaurant known for chicken, but said it was happy to offer fish, and if so far I’ve been waiting three hours, and two chefs who promised to cook the fish have quit, and the third is promising to deliver the fish in the next five minutes whether it’s cooked or not, or indeed still alive, and all the waiting staff have spent the last few hours arguing amongst themselves about whether I want battered cod, jellied eels, grilled salmon or dolphin kebabs, and if a large part of the restaurant appeared to be on fire but no one was paying attention to it because they were all arguing about fish, I would quite like, just once, to be asked if I definitely still want the fish....

RosieLeah Sun 11-Aug-19 15:53:24

Anja....great analogy.

I think the answer would be to go into the kitchen and cook your own fish.

Alternatively, go to another restaurant and try to get what you want there.

Meanwhile, while the staff are dithering, someone has crept in by the back door and stolen the fish.

Namsnanny Sun 11-Aug-19 16:09:33

Yes it is a good analogy.

In this restaurant you didn’t pay an exorbitant entry fee I see.
Nor were you barred from leaving until you agreed to when the fish was served or how much it would cost you and how many years after you’d eaten the fish you had to go on paying for it!!

Not a restaurant I would visit if I could avoid it smile

jura2 Sun 11-Aug-19 17:52:32

well, I'd never have chosen the fish in the first place- don't like it ;)

But yes - you should be asked, for sure. And if they don't aks- you need to take charge and tell them ;)

Gonegirl Sun 11-Aug-19 18:09:05

I'm sorry, I can't get my head around that analogy. As far as the restaurant is concerned, I would have walked out long ago

A second referendum might be good, but the result would probably be the same. Certain sections of the British community will still hold the same views.

FarNorth Sun 11-Aug-19 18:30:32

It's a pity for Theresa May that she didn't borrow your crystal ball before deciding to call an election, Gonegirl.

Gonegirl Sun 11-Aug-19 18:31:37

Eh?

Gonegirl Sun 11-Aug-19 18:33:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Moocow Sun 11-Aug-19 19:00:00

Best laugh I've had in years! Thank you Anja grin

Callistemon Sun 11-Aug-19 19:14:16

On the assumption that the chefs had gone to catch the fish but failed to get even a nibble I would have said I was leaving and was going to the reliable chippie down the road .

Were you with us that night Anja? We sat in a recommended restaurant, tried to order but the waiter insisted he had to see to a party of 20+ people who had arrived after us. They pacified us with flavoured olive oils and artisan breads but still failed to take our order.
So we left and went to the fish and chip shop.
They didn't charge us for our bread, oils or drinks though!
And said that they hoped we'd be back again one day.

Abuelamia Sun 11-Aug-19 19:14:21

Think the OPs comment may have come from Social Media post!

Anja Sun 11-Aug-19 22:55:01

Moocow thank you!
Abuslamia yes, did post it, or a version of it, on other social media.

Callistemon Sun 11-Aug-19 23:04:31

Oh, why did *Gonegirl's post get deleted?
confused
I can't remember what it said but don't remember gasping when I read it.

Minniemoo Sun 11-Aug-19 23:19:26

Did you write it yourself. Abuslamia? I thought it was rather an odd analogy to be honest.

jogginggirl Sun 11-Aug-19 23:35:47

Very clever analogy Anja ☺️

Anja Mon 12-Aug-19 07:37:21

Minnie you either ‘get’ it or you don’t! ???

Nothing to do with me about any post being deleted.

Abuslamia posts on social media do not spontaneously appear or erupt....guess what? They are all written/created by people. Food for thought?

Minniemoo Mon 12-Aug-19 07:43:05

Oh I perfectly get it, Anja. Didn't think it worked. I am sure someone has a better one out there somewhere.

Abuelamia Mon 12-Aug-19 08:34:56

Anja No problem with posts on social media whatsoever. I just thought it should be referenced as such, if you are not the original creator of the analogy.

DiscoGran Mon 12-Aug-19 09:47:47

Mmm, dolphin kebabs, wink

Callistemon Mon 12-Aug-19 09:59:56

Btw, I understand it perfectly, but thought what happened to us in RL rather reflected the situation too.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 10:53:09

Oh! I said someone's remarks were sometimes - (a word beginning with b and ending in y)

Thought that would get reported.

Nonnie Mon 12-Aug-19 11:01:32

I think it worked, saw in from Jay Rayner on Twitter this morning and got it straight away.

crazygranny Mon 12-Aug-19 11:29:31

Sadly, so many who voted in all good faith to leave the EU were totally let down by those who offered this as a possibility. Farage, Johnson etc. simply had no plan in place to implement their promises. So after three long destructive years (just think about the 8500 jobs lost to Jaguar workers) we are still in limbo and suffering all round.

humptydumpty Mon 12-Aug-19 11:31:44

No matter who originated it, I think it's a great analogy!

Blondie49 Mon 12-Aug-19 11:38:14

Brilliant Anja ??