Gransnet forums

News & politics

Proposed minimum salary for EU workers: £30000

(100 Posts)
jura2 Sun 11-Aug-19 21:13:03

and pressure is being put on Priti Patel to raise this to £37500

so, no care workers, no nurses, no agricultural labour, mostly no teachers, no .... well, pretty much anyone sad

What planet do they live on???

jura2 Sun 11-Aug-19 21:22:55

this will of course probably have a knock on effect on all the UK citizens living in the EU too:

www.facebook.com/BestForBritain/videos/411133746279941/

Davidhs Sun 11-Aug-19 21:42:51

I don’t think this is correct, the government has stated that there will be an Agricultural Workers scheme - there will have to be because there will be no fruit and veg production. U.K. workers simply will not do that kind of work, so unless Ms Patel is thinking of having prison gangs doing forced Labour, replacing them forget it.
Not to mention care workers and many others.

Probably £ 37500 is referring to long term migrants rather than temporary or seasonal migrants, but with the current politicking who knows

jura2 Sun 11-Aug-19 21:55:06

Well Davidhs, I am not in the habit of quoting from The Sun- but here goes

'PRITI Patel will be challenged this week to honour her promise to restore "integrity" to Britain's immigration system by insisting all immigrant workers must earn at least £36,700 after Brexit.

The Home Secretary will be urged to raise the proposed £30,000 minimum salary threshold for all new foreign workers to protect lower-paid British workers.'

SirChenjin Sun 11-Aug-19 22:47:44

Not everyone who comes to the UK is here to do agricultural work as jura points out. Perhaps this means that nurses and other key workers are in line for a big pay increase? Yes, I’m sure that’s what Priti has in mind hmm

It will be interesting to see what happens now. More back tracking from No 10? Surely not!

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 00:16:24

There will have to be backtracking. It appears there might be an exemption for NHS workers, but most research scientists, teachers and engineers don't earn £36,700. It would appear Ms Patel has a different idea of "low paid" from the rest of us.

Dinahmo Mon 12-Aug-19 00:16:47

Perhaps PP should insist that all agricultural workers must earn at least £36,700. That should encourage people in rural areas to go and work on the farms.

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 00:44:14

What a brilliant idea!

BTW It wasn't just in the Sun. It was in the Independent and other sources too.

inews.co.uk/news/politics/home-secretary-priti-patel-urged-to-impose-36000-minimum-salary-on-visa-applicants/

These people are completely out of touch.

jura2 Mon 12-Aug-19 08:57:42

Barmy Army indeed

SirChenjin Mon 12-Aug-19 09:07:55

Or maybe this is just one of the many reasons we should be optimistic about Brexit - imagine, low paid key workers being paid £36.7K as a result of us leaving the EU! It truly is a wonderful thing to have happened to the UK.

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 09:12:37

SirChenjin, It appears you've now joined the land of unicorn dwellers! ;-)

M0nica Mon 12-Aug-19 09:28:47

Just think what it would do to food prices, the cost of running the NHS.

I understand that it applies to immigrants coming into this country, and also, I think, the spouses of people living in this country, where the British spouse will have to earn £37,600 before their spouse can join them. Clever way of limiting immigration without seeming to.

jura2 Mon 12-Aug-19 09:35:07

BoJo when interviewed recentéy had NO idea what the minimum wage is, and hmmmed and ahhhed and said 'about £10' - so at 8 hours a day!!! that would be £28000. And with the real minimum wage, and even at 8hrs per day - that would be just over 23000.

Not very good at maths- but can somebody work out what the minimum wage would have to be to get to 36700?

SirChenjin Mon 12-Aug-19 09:38:07

I am being optimistic as the Brexiteers tell me I should be growstuff! I’m not going to give any critical thought to the matter, I’m just going to accept that Priti said that all immigrants should be earning more than the median wage and so it must be going to happen! sunshineparty

SirChenjin Mon 12-Aug-19 09:41:23

jura it’s roughly £17/h

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 09:43:52

It really is fantastic news. Presumably that will mean that immigrants will earn more than those of who were born here. Won't that mean that they'll be taking over some time in the future?

This reminds me of the British Empire, where the immigrants took all the top jobs and the native people did the menial work.

jura2 Mon 12-Aug-19 09:46:11

Thanks SirC - can you imagine if Labour proposed THAT!!!

Hey, my figures are rubbish anyhow- few people work 8 hrs a day, and I've counted week-ends in too- but

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 09:47:09

That's assuming somebody is in a job which pays holiday pay.

SirChenjin Mon 12-Aug-19 10:04:14

Of course they’ll get holiday pay - we’re free to make our own rules, remember??!

Sheesh - all you doubters asking those pesky questions hmm

12Michael Mon 12-Aug-19 10:11:32

That covers top jobs in UK plus others like train drivers and bus drivers who may get a similar wage, the days of £15,000 a year have gone, especially with Government planning to tax pensioners who's pensions exceed the current tax threshold on the winter fuel payments

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 10:16:35

I'm puzzled.

What do pension incomes have to do with the proposals?

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 10:21:35

The hourly rate would have to be higher if it were only for contracted work hours.

mcem Mon 12-Aug-19 10:24:00

If a pensioner's income is more than the personal allowance then why wouldn't they pay income tax like anyone else??
I don't think the WFA is particularly relevant to the argument.

I wish I could agree that the days of €£15000 are long gone.
Part-time workers? Zero hours contracts?

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 10:25:00

From a February 2019 government briefing paper on teacher recruitment:

In response to a parliamentary question in February 2017, the Schools Minister, Nick Gibb, provided information on a pilot to recruit qualified maths and physics teachers from overseas. The STEM international recruitment programme helps schools in recruiting maths and physics teachers trained in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and USA. All statefunded secondary schools can access the programme, with the DfE funding the recruitment costs and an acclimatisation package. The school is responsible for paying the teacher’s salary. Further information is available in guidance published by the Department for Education. The Government has also stated that the increased demand for languages teachers as a result of the EBacc will “in small part be filled by recruiting from other countries.”

It is highly unlikely that many of these teachers will earn £36,700. Currently, approximately 16% of teachers are trained overseas.

Greta Mon 12-Aug-19 10:33:26

I believe immigration will become a very complicated issue. We know that EU-nationals so far have been ”jumping the queue”. We also know that the government wants to recruit the best scientists regardless where they come from. Those scientists will presumably have been educated and trained in their home countries but now we want to have them. Is this arrogant and selfish? Some of these people are probably badly needed in their own countries.