Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Harry less popular now?

(400 Posts)
Ohmother Mon 12-Aug-19 15:25:44

Reading on the BBC News page that Harry is less popular since booking up with Megan. I thought I liked Megan and that she would be a calming influence but now I think she’s influencing him to a ridiculous degree and they are both behaving like Hollywood divas. What are your thoughts?

Sparklefizz Mon 12-Aug-19 15:40:47

I totally agree with you, Ohmother. Harry used to be my favourite and I initially thought Meghan was lovely, but now they both seem hypocritical idiots. So disappointing when it could all have been so different.

growstuff Mon 12-Aug-19 15:42:56

Oh well! They give the gossips something to bitch chat about.

Ngaio1 Mon 12-Aug-19 15:46:43

Yes, I do. It is rather sad but a great many people could see the writing on the wall. We British do not need a self-opinionated American trying to change the way our Monarchy lives. The Queen is doing a great deal of modernising. One thing I know, I would not curtsey to this dreadful woman!

EllanVannin Mon 12-Aug-19 15:47:26

I would imagine that he isn't as popular as he once was but people do change, especially after they marry and have a family---------for reasons unknown ? Most do. I can never understand that.

SirChenjin Mon 12-Aug-19 15:52:17

I think most people (who cared about such things) were happy to ignore the press and give them the benefit of the doubt - they were in love, it was all very romantic, everyone wanted Harry to be happy. I think they've become a bit of a laughing stock with their self obsessed 'wokeness' and have certainly given the press a lot to write about.

Ohmother Mon 12-Aug-19 16:54:36

Sirchenjin I agree.

RosieLeah Mon 12-Aug-19 16:57:32

He used to be very appealing as a child, but he's lost it now. I think both of them are patronising, especially her. The message she wrote on that banana was nauseating.

eazybee Mon 12-Aug-19 17:09:07

Sadly, I agree.

merlotgran Mon 12-Aug-19 17:11:23

I believe he is less popular now but I don't think he gives a stuff.

BlueBelle Mon 12-Aug-19 17:19:25

Oh poor sod he can’t do right for doing wrong just stop blethering on about him being 1% less popular than two years ago or what ever stupid figures are bandied around just let them get in with getting on in their own way They are all just people, bloody rich people but if that’s your gripe have a go at all of them
Have a go at Andrew instead he’s in the news
As is the Queen for not being to happy with her government worry about them for a change
Just let him and his wife and child live signing all the niggling aren’t they taking up a posting in Africa soon if he’s got any sense.they ll stay there out if the way of all the bitching

Maggiemaybe Mon 12-Aug-19 17:23:59

I don’t know what they’ve done to earn so much criticism.

jura2 Mon 12-Aug-19 17:46:19

Agreed- all the hate, wow.

merlotgran Mon 12-Aug-19 17:57:47

It's not hate, it's just criticism of his behaviour at the moment.

SirChenjin Mon 12-Aug-19 17:58:10

I don’t hate them, I don’t even know them. I dislike their sanctimonious preachings whilst they continue to live very privileged lives (funded in part by the taxpayer) that don’t reflect their purported values. I think they are quite self obsessed and believe their own self importance - but that’s only my opinion which I’m fully entitled to. I’ve got opinions on other Royals too and will happily share them on other threads.

merlotgran Mon 12-Aug-19 18:01:51

aren’t they taking up a posting in Africa soon if he’s got any sense.they ll stay there out if the way of all the bitching

Well, they won't escape any bitching criticism if we end up paying for an expensive residence having just forked out approx. £3 million to renovate Frogmore Cottage, not to mention the added security

Day6 Mon 12-Aug-19 18:13:41

I don’t hate them, I don’t even know them. I dislike their sanctimonious preachings whilst they continue to live very privileged lives (funded in part by the taxpayer) that don’t reflect their purported values. I think they are quite self obsessed and believe their own self importance

Thank you SirChenjin - I feel exactly the same way.

I resent this extremely privileged but patronising couple being 'political' and right-on. My monarchy has to be impartial, neutral and do the royal thing with dignity. I want to throw up when these two make their pronouncements and virtue-signalling gestures. Meghan wants to replace her expensive tiaras with a halo, no doubt. hmm

Namsnanny Mon 12-Aug-19 18:27:29

Simples...…..take the public purse. Do as the public want!!

Refuse the public purse, pay your own way, and do what you want!!

That's why I don't know if it really can be called 'bitching' hate, or sour grapes because they are richer.

Its disappointment that Harry and Meghan arnt living up to their end of the bargain.

I can avoid putting money into say George Cloony's pocket, if I don't agree with him, by not paying to see his films.

Whilst they're on the civil list and poke their woke heads above the parapet, I have no redress except complaining.

If they gave up their titles and the financial incentive that goes with them, they can do anything their little hearts desire...….on their own money and their own time!

As for Andrew, same for him too and his money mad ex and 'Princess' daughters.
Twenty odd years I've been waiting for him to become accountable for his relationship with Epstein and G.Maxwell. Now it looks like he'll never have to answer any questions. Whilst we carried on paying for him, to do what exactly??

The royal family are good for the country (in many ways).
Believe it or not, I am a happy supporter of them.

But why oh why, do we have to pay for ALL of them?

Anniebach Mon 12-Aug-19 18:28:34

Well said Day6 and SirChenjin

They so lack dignity .

Namsnanny Mon 12-Aug-19 18:29:17

SirChenGin…...Much better post than mine!! Well said grin

Loislovesstewie Mon 12-Aug-19 18:37:29

I agree that I don't want sanctimonious people who have far more money than I will ever see in a lifetime telling me that I can't go on holiday by air while they zoom around the world giving lectures, saving elephants( I love elephants by the way) saying that they are only having 2 children max to save the planet while having their ' cottage ' done up courtesy of the public purse. Could they not go back to opening hospitals and giving garden parties?
The whole thing is just hypocritical.

varian Mon 12-Aug-19 19:12:33

Why did the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation feature this attack on Prince Harry by liar Farage so prominently in tonight's six o'clock news?

If any other MEP had made such a comment it would not have been reported at all but the BBC just loves to promote liar Farage as it has done for years and years.

The blatant pro-brexit bias of the BBC is utterly disgraceful. Any responsible public service broadcaster would ignore Farage. The BBC has virtually created his public profile. He has never needed as PR department when his friends in the BBC have done his work free of charge (ie at our expense).

Teetime Mon 12-Aug-19 19:38:50

Harry is not the first royal to be ensnared by a scheming American.

Anniebach Mon 12-Aug-19 19:58:54

SKY news led with it this afternoon varian

varian Mon 12-Aug-19 20:03:26

So maybe Sky News (is it still owned/ part owned) by Rupert Murdoch? is also keen to promote liar Farage?