Gransnet forums

News & politics

The family firm.

(492 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 13:09:23

Photos of Princess Charlotte's first day at school with her brother Prince George, show us how well their mother, Catherine, has fitted into The Firm.
Delightfully normal and without any pretentious, she and her husband simply get on with life, neither courting nor studiously avoiding the publicity that goes with the job.
She looks wonderful in the pictures taken by the DM and the family is a fitting continuation of our monarchy.

merlotgran Thu 05-Sep-19 13:21:42

Lovely photos. They look happy and relaxed. The children are delightful and I agree that Kate looks stunning.

MamaCaz Thu 05-Sep-19 13:31:59

Without any pretentious what, GG? wink

gillybob Thu 05-Sep-19 13:35:45

Oh pass the bucket.

Was K wearing a "recycled" dress? (known simply as a dress to you an I).
Did she have to get up at 5am to look that good? (after sorting the uniforms, breakfasts, putting a wash on etc.)

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 14:01:28

Pretentions...without a wink

HettyMaud Thu 05-Sep-19 14:03:52

I'd be really pretentious if I was the future queen. I'd swan about wearing sparkly jewels all day long.

Anniebach Thu 05-Sep-19 14:08:08

I agree Gabriella .

gilly she doesn’t have to put the washing on. She had to be sure all was right for the press . I would choose putting the washing on rather then is my hair brushed, is my dress the right length just to take my children to school.

gillybob Thu 05-Sep-19 14:15:26

Oh really Annie smile

Poor K it must be so hard to spend ones life looking like a model. Much harder than getting up early, making breakfasts, putting a wash on, running to school with the kids and the baby screaming in a buggy. Dropping the baby off then going to do a days "real" work before dashing back and making the dinner.

I know you are a royal fan but honestly it really winds me up. She is a complete disservice to normal young women who have to try and juggle real jobs and family.

Namsnanny Thu 05-Sep-19 14:17:05

Hettymaud....I do that already!? ????

SalsaQueen Thu 05-Sep-19 14:18:04

"delightfully normal"? Hardly. She has servants to cook, clean, look after the children, everything.

Anniebach Thu 05-Sep-19 14:52:56

Having to look like a model every time you appear in public for life ?

No thanks

WadesNan Thu 05-Sep-19 14:57:29

And cue the usual hate posts - really it is all so predictable

GrannyGravy13 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:01:11

I thought the pictures were delightful.

Day6 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:01:16

She was blessed with good looks though, so even on her days off, in country casuals (have just thought, don't think I own 'country casual' clothes!!!! grin) she looks great.

She is tall, slim and pretty so I think she could wear a bin-bag and still look great.

I agree, I don't think any royal deserves the "Oh aren't they just perfect" plaudits. Their lives are nothing like ours. I suspect many a Mum is saying "I'd look good too if all I had to worry about was the odd public appearance. Kate is thinking about rushing off to the shops afterwards, and what to get for tea. She has a plush car just out of shot ready to whisk her off to her life of privacy and utter luxury when she has dropped off the children.

Day6 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:01:54

Kate isn't

Jane10 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:07:51

Oh stop whining. They are the Royal family. They could be a lot worse.

Day6 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:10:43

Thinking back to my own rush at home before I dropped the children off at the childminders....

I'd have strops about what I was putting in their lunch boxes (which I'd put together at 6am) I'd have uncooperative children, missing shoes, one pump missing from the PE bag and heads of hair to comb and style. Where were the hairbands??? There'd be one upstairs not listening, playing with toys so I'd have the tantrum when I insisted the uniform went on NOW.

That is a lovely photo of the family arriving at school, but they didn't even have to worry about buying the uniform in the summer holidays. I heard one Mum in Sainsbury's recently telling her little daughter she could wear her big sister's hand-me-down skirt for school while she was buying the big one school regulation new stuff, which she didn't want!

I didn't envy her the squabbling and protests. I expect Kate is in the Kensington Palace private swimming pool/spa whilst we type. smile

We can pat ourselves on the back though, glad that we got through all those busy school mornings.

Day6 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:13:58

the usual hate posts

I don't hate the royal family, but the discussion about them is valid.

Anniebach Thu 05-Sep-19 15:46:16

So she will never have to steam fleas off animal skins, clean
2 sacks sprouts, check the electric readings every night.

I never had to look perfect every time I left the house, have the press and public criticise my children, have my marriage picked to bits by the media, never had to only be me in my own home.

sodapop Thu 05-Sep-19 15:58:31

I agree Annie it's all relative. Different stresses for Kate, I would find it stressful having every move publicised and criticised. Yes I know she chose to join the Royal Family but you can't know how difficult it is until you experience it.
I'm glad to be sitting at home with my feet up on the sofa and bra off, no paparazzi peeking through the uncleaned windows.

Pantglas1 Thu 05-Sep-19 16:05:58

I think we’d all agree that everyone has pressures to contend with and the royals are no different. The idea that they don’t have problems and worries is naive - they just have different ones to the rest of us.

pinkquartz Thu 05-Sep-19 16:25:35

I am very much anti royal but I can still see how relaxed and normal Kate looks in the photos. She is the most normal looking and also seems genuine in enjoying her life.
Huge contrast to the MM woman.

I don't like the teacher bowing to the Princess though......what does that do to a four year old ego?
Can you discipline a child you bow to or do they still have a whipping boy/girl around? hmm

pinkquartz Thu 05-Sep-19 16:27:45

I can't imagine not having to worry about housing or paying bills. I can't afford a new wheelchair and never have a holiday......yes I would swap.
A change is as good as a rest and I think the royal lives are a doddle.
Time for a republic.

mokryna Thu 05-Sep-19 16:34:35

Thank your lucky stars that the royals are who they are. Imagine if the UK were to, in the next poll vote for a President!

Anniebach Thu 05-Sep-19 17:44:12

pinkquartz. Would a president mean you would be financially better off ?