Gransnet forums

News & politics

How brainless to sing the red flag.....

(116 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 10-Sep-19 13:27:14

.......in parliament!!

Do they not realise that this is exactly what will put people off voting labour? That song alone raises the fear that a new Tory government will emerge from an election. I despair.

We need some reasoned middle ground debate, and a few politicians with half a brain - I have given up hoping for integrity too.

Anniebach Tue 10-Sep-19 13:53:06

Good grief, did they ?

Smileless2012 Tue 10-Sep-19 13:55:06

Are they allowed to do that?

Anniebach Tue 10-Sep-19 13:56:35

Did the speaker join in ?

Smileless2012 Tue 10-Sep-19 13:59:52

If he didn't, maybe he didn't know the wordsgrin.

Ilovecheese Tue 10-Sep-19 14:01:11

Yes I agree Luckygirl singing that anthem does give the impression that the Labour party policies are a lot more left wing than they are in reality, which does make some people reluctant to vote Labour.
A bit silly, but hardly disgusting.

Anniebach Tue 10-Sep-19 14:06:19

More than silly

Buffybee Tue 10-Sep-19 14:07:14

Disgraceful...but nothing surprises me from those leftie traitors.

Anniebach Tue 10-Sep-19 14:09:34

It was a disgrace ,

Luckygirl Tue 10-Sep-19 14:15:27

It was deeply unwise and makes me feel that, although they may have some positive policies, they lack the political nowse to understand what this says to the electorate.

Their wish for policies to emphasise the needs of the underdog and to pick up those whom austerity has left by the wayside get my support; but I just think they are the wrong people at the wrong time - they do not understand how politics work and are shooting them selves in the foot. Just plain stupid.

Doodledog Tue 10-Sep-19 14:18:55

All of the disenfranchised groups in the HoC sang 'anthem' songs, including Flower of Scotland, and Bread and Roses.

The BBC News only showed The Red Flag, which gives completely the wrong impression.

Nico97 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:20:51

Stupidity beyond belief - but what else can one expect from these morons. The sooner a GE takes place the better.

Doodledog Tue 10-Sep-19 14:25:17

Which morons? The Labour Party, the Welsh, or the Scots?

Lessismore Tue 10-Sep-19 14:28:05

Does anybody have a link please to all the singing? Thanks

Anniebach Tue 10-Sep-19 14:29:04

The Welsh MP’s did not sing an anthem , they sang a hymn

Ilovecheese Tue 10-Sep-19 14:30:43

Of all the rude and boorish behaviour that goes on in the Common, is singing a song really "disgraceful "?

Yes, which morons do you want to see gone after a general election?

Nico97 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:32:01

Sorry Doodledog we crossed posts. I was referring to the Labour Party and their choice of song. Surely they could have come up with something else ?

Doodledog Tue 10-Sep-19 14:32:03

The Welsh MP’s did not sing an anthem , they sang a hymn

Hence the inverted commas.

Chewbacca Tue 10-Sep-19 14:34:13

Foot. Shoot. Themselves.

Rearrange as appropriate

Doodledog Tue 10-Sep-19 14:35:00

Sorry Doodledog we crossed posts. I was referring to the Labour Party and their choice of song. Surely they could have come up with something else ?

No problem - I do that all the time smile

Like what, though? The Red Flag is a song about the people and their struggles to get rights and decent treatment. It has become associated with the USSR and similar types of communism; but if you listen to the words, it's not about that at all.

Labaik Tue 10-Sep-19 14:39:01

Thanks Doodledog; I stayed up for most of parliament last night but, annoyingly missed the very end. I was disgusted by Johnsons behaviour on the front bench [along with Nicky Morgan who I used to have some respect for]. My reply to the OP, before reading your comment was that there was a lot of loud, nasty behaviour in parliament last night, most of it coming from the Conservative front bench, and it was stupid of the Labour Party MP's to do something that they should have realised the media would pick up on. Holding up signs saying 'silenced' would have got the message across much better if they'd just stuck to that. One thing I am furious about is that several MP's asked that JRM should make an apology in parliament to the doctor he was so rude about the other day. To my knowledge, although he has made an unofficial apology that hasn't happened and, because of the proroguing of parliament will now not happen at all. It's now 'yesterday's news' but I won't forget it and neither imo will the medical profession. I'm not surprised about the BBC News sad.

paddyann Tue 10-Sep-19 14:41:26

SNP didn't sing Flower of Scotland ,they sang Rabbie Burns ' Scots Wae Hae

Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled,
Scots, wham Bruce has aften led;
Welcome to your gory bed,
Or to victory!

Now's the day, and now's the hour;
See the front o' battle lour;
See approach proud Edward's power—
Chains and slavery!

Wha will be a traitor knave?
Wha can fill a coward's grave!
Wha sae base as be a slave?
Let him turn and flee!

nightowl Tue 10-Sep-19 14:42:21

How is it disgraceful for the Labour Party to sing what has been their anthem since the founding of the party? What an odd thing to say.

paddyann Tue 10-Sep-19 14:42:27

shows that even in Burns' life WM and their domination wasn't what we wanted

Sussexborn Tue 10-Sep-19 14:47:02

To outsiders it is sung by the Communist party so not really the brightest of moves.

Brainpower is sadly lacking in all parties right now.