Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government watch

(209 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:15:37

Given the fact that our democratic ability to ask urgent questions in parliament has been stripped from us, I think notice should at the very least be made of those issues that are popping up and for which the government does not have to answer.

The first

Tom Watson
@tom_watson

Given Cummings' focus on data science in the Vote Leave campaign the sudden urgent need for big data collection is extremely concerning. We need immediate clarity about how citizens' data will be protected and won’t be misused for party political purposes.

growstuff Mon 23-Sep-19 01:29:05

Why would the Conservatives want to remove environmental, social and health and safety standards, unless they have scant regard for the lives of the people?

growstuff Mon 23-Sep-19 01:26:55

I can think of many more things in life more vile than that comment.

Nobody's suggesting that the government wants more incidents like Grenfell Tower, but by removing health and safety standards, they are enabling them.

MaizieD Sun 22-Sep-19 23:13:06

I just don't think they think things through. Leavers seem to assume that everything will stay the same...

mcem Sun 22-Sep-19 22:44:50

I disagree with the phrase "wish to see" but would certainly substitute "are prepared to see" or even "allow to happen".
Cost-cutting and greed by ignoring high safety standards and opting for the cheapest method.

janipat Sun 22-Sep-19 22:38:33

I have to agree with Urmstongran that your comment Grandad1943 is disgusting. I don't support the Tories or their plans, but to suggest they and their supporters want more Grenfell Tower disasters is truly vile. I'd have expected better of you.

Urmstongran Sun 22-Sep-19 22:20:23

Oh Grandad1943 Whitewavemark2, I wonder how many more Grenfell Tower disasters the Tories and their supporters wish to see before they are satisfied?

And you accused me upthread of a disgusting post!

Your comment takes the biscuit.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 22-Sep-19 21:08:24

I would say unbelievable, but I'm afraid it has been obvious that this is exactly what they wanted. Even more evidence that many of those who voted to leave will be the one who eventually suffer.

Grandad1943 Sun 22-Sep-19 19:56:37

Whitewavemark2 Quote [Lord Kerr says Johnson’s negotiators are asking for all environmental, social and health and safety standards to be removed from May’s Deal.[ End Quote.

Whitewavemark2, I wonder how many more Grenfell Tower disasters the Tories and their supporters wish to see before they are satisfied?

varian Sun 22-Sep-19 18:41:29

WWMk2 and Maizie you are posting factual ,evidence that brexit is nonsense which if it was not stopped would leave the UK in a much worse position than we are now as full members of the EU.

Just don'y expect the blinkered leavers on GN or anywhere else to pay any attention to the facts,.They have been brainwashed to ignore facts.

MaizieD Sun 22-Sep-19 17:35:53

Didn't Leavers claim that standards wouldn't be affected by leaving the EU and, anyway, we wrote them all

Doesn't wanting them to be removed from the WA imply that the government wants to lower our standards? hmm

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 16:53:37

What I think about this would get deleted so I won’t comment

Lord Kerr says Johnson’s negotiators are asking for all environmental, social and health and safety standards to be removed from May’s Deal.
Don't they realise unless we meet the EU's standards then there is no chance of an FTA in the future ?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 16:45:15

suzi almost certainly

suziewoozie Sun 22-Sep-19 16:26:29

White surely you mean ‘model’ not model? ?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 14:01:07

Brexit is going to be difficult if we leave with no deal

WTO on the brink of collapse.

Total free for all then.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 13:58:48

I see Johnson was fond of taking a model along with him on overseas visits when he was Foreign Secretary according to The Times.

Shades of Fox. He was disgraced as a result I believe.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Sep-19 15:14:17

EU diplomats and MEPs were given a summary of talks with UK today

It basically says that the UK didn’t come with a real solution, only “concepts”... and the concepts don’t work anyway

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Sep-19 15:10:53

Brace for a weekend of national humiliation with #LiarJohnson set to lecture the UN Assembly on "British Values". Liz Truss and Dominic Raab are on hand in case more embarrassment is required.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 19-Sep-19 18:54:29

Turned over to Andrew Neil while the lawyers were having their lunch. I wish he would take a leaf out of John Humphrys book and retire. I really can live without these shouty people In my life.

Grandad1943 Thu 19-Sep-19 18:13:32

Urmstongran, in regard to your post @-10:29 today, the reason that hospitals do not employ sufficient staff is for the simple reason that they have been underfunded by Tory successive governments for the last nine years, supported in that action for a time by the Liberal Democrats.

Johnson has been a senior member of that Tory party throughout that period and also a failed senior government minister in that time

Therefore to state that Johnson is "new to the job" and therefore all the underfunding that has gone before under Tory governments has nothing to do with him is simply rediculas.

Remember how proudly the Tories spoke of Austerity as "the means" of ending Britains deficit. Well, Johnson was very much part of that austerity, but that is something he now hopes we have all forgotten now, but sadly for him, not so.

He lied in his reasons for being at that hospital yesterday.

He has lied in regards to searching for a solution to Brexit.

He lied in regards to his reasons for suspending parliament.

And he lied to the Queen on the same.

Johnson is a product of inherited wealth that paid for an Eton education, and out of that, he has a sense of entitlement that is second to none.

When he cannot get that entitlement as he sees it, he will always lie in an attempt to accomplish that.

The man is simply sickening.

humptydumpty Thu 19-Sep-19 11:01:42

The protester was complaining not only about BJ hjimself as PM but the legacy of the Tories' years in power.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 11:01:17

Interesting debate on twitter

Andrew Neil (that strictly unbiased BBC interviewer)

Is arguing that the leaflets HMG sent out before the referendum, promised the voter that it would uphold their decision. It was therefore argues Neil factually untrue to say that Parliament would make that decision, as HMG had promised otherwise.

This is the reply

Jessica Simor QC
@JMPSimor
·
Wrong. The tweet is factually correct - Parliament did not give the decision to the people. This is a matter of law. The fact that HMG made an assurance ‘to the public’ is nothing to the point. HMG is not Parliament and does not make the law.

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 10:29:06

When I say Boris is new to the job I don’t for one moment propose that he is ‘learning on the job’. It’s not an internship!

But we are where we are when he took office. If the hospital boards haven’t employed enough staff or able to organise locum cover (very expensive way of tackling much needed vacancies) surely Boris who has only been in charge a mere few weeks cannot possibly be held to account?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 10:20:24

His 30 days are up today.

Any plan??

No?

I thought not.

Lies lies lies

Eloethan Thu 19-Sep-19 10:18:51

Calm down dears? The usual way of shutting people (and particularly women) up - to imply that their opinions are hysterical and thus irrational.

Boris Johnson may be new to this particular job but he has been a member of the Conservative Party for many years and has previously held a senior ministerial post, at which he failed miserably. Presumably he agrees with the policies of his party that have brought the NHS and other vital services to the brink of collapse - I certainly don't recall any dissension on his part.

His immaturity shines through when he's put on the spot. Like a naughty child, he just blurts out anything - true or not - in an effort to get himself out of an awkward situation.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 19-Sep-19 09:12:55

Sadly for those of us who have to read your cruel remarks you really do just read and regurgitate UG. No thinking involved in your world apparently. Even the TV news changed how they were reporting pretty quickly but your views stayed down in the gutter where they started. Reflection on your thinking is obviously a class in life you missed out on.