Gransnet forums

News & politics

More people want to leave EU, even Remainers, than before.

(103 Posts)
newnanny Wed 11-Sep-19 10:11:14

It seems the tide may be turning for Brexit. More people now want to leave EU than at point of the referendum. Even Remainers now want to leave on Oct 31st and even with no deal if necessary. Outside of Parliament and of course Gransnet, leaving is very poplular with or without a deal.

www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1176414/brexit-latest-news-eu-uk-exit-no-deal-latest-boris-johnson-uk-politics

humptydumpty Wed 11-Sep-19 12:43:29

newnanny yet again: the vote was to prevent No Deal - NOT to prevent Brexit

Elegran Wed 11-Sep-19 12:53:20

The millionaire elite who have become multi-millionaires by trading against the pound in international money markets (in their spare time from promoting Brexit and the fall in sterling) have grabbed far more of our money than we pay to theEU - and invested it in tax havens. They won't be giving any back, as the EU will, in funded projects like these. www.myeu.uk/
Enter you own postcode and see what your local area has received, or browse the map to see other areas.

JenniferEccles Wed 11-Sep-19 12:54:27

Unfortunately I now fear we will never leave.

There are too many MPs who are determined to prevent Brexit by any means possible.

Of course it is dressed up as concern over a no deal exit but their intention is obvious.

I think Boris’s best bet is to accept Nigel Farage ‘s offer of help.

humptydumpty Wed 11-Sep-19 12:56:26

I think you mean their intention is obvious to you

crystaltipps Wed 11-Sep-19 13:21:45

Nigel Farages “offer of help”, that’s a poisoned chalice with barbed wire strings attached if ever I heard one. Who paid for the pages of newspaper ads by the Brexit Company? Let’s hope BJ is actually bright enough to spot this trap.

crystaltipps Wed 11-Sep-19 13:23:22

Farage the man who has never won a fptp election - who’s he trying to “help”?Himself.

growstuff Wed 11-Sep-19 13:25:31

The last 66 polls show a consistent trend, which is that more people are now in favour of Remain.

It would appear that the Express and Gransnetters' friends and neighbours are in the minority.

growstuff Wed 11-Sep-19 13:26:54

I wouldn't let Farage help me carry my shopping bags.

janipat Wed 11-Sep-19 13:28:11

newnanny I think many people are getting sick of MP's who are supposed to represent their constituencies

What about those constituencies that voted to remain? Does their MP honour their wishes, or the wishes of a different constituency that voted leave? You really can't have it that only leave constituencies have a right of representation.

growstuff Wed 11-Sep-19 13:28:57

However, they will have to be more honest about declaring tax, if the UK is still in the EU in January 2020.

I don't suppose there could possibly be any connection. wink

BlueBelle Wed 11-Sep-19 13:59:20

Every remainder I know is as committed as ever
I will NEVER change my mind even if it happens and I have to accept that a TINY proportion of the UK population 17.000.000 have made a disastrous mistake for the rest of the 66,000,000 I will still never forget what they have done to my grandchildren’s lives

Chestnut Wed 11-Sep-19 14:14:14

Remainers keep quoting polls in an attempt to prove that most people have changed their minds about leaving and want to remain. I don't trust polls.......I trust votes.

Only 16 weeks ago people voted overwhelmingly for the Brexit Party and turned the map blue in the European Elections. This has been the only recent opportunity for people to vote and they made it very clear what they wanted. To leave! This was a message to the MPs that they were fed up with the arguing and to just get us out.

Remainers are entitled to their individual opinions but the majority have made it very clear they want to leave and that is democracy, whether you like it or not.

humptydumpty Wed 11-Sep-19 14:24:56

Actually chestnut

if you add together votes for the brexit party and for the Conservatives (assuming that represents the Leave vote), the toal no. of votes was 6,761,342

combining votes for LibDem Labour and Green the total was 8,615,874

so in fact the (principally) remain parties got more votes than the (principally) leave parties

Amagran Wed 11-Sep-19 14:25:14

Remain, remain, remain. BJ, Rees Mogg and Cummings v. the EU?? It's a no-brainer!

I am sufficiently confident in the outcome of a second referendum to support our having one. I have the feeling that many Leave supporters do not support a second referendum because they know full well how it will go!

humptydumpty Wed 11-Sep-19 14:26:30

Agreed, Amagran, as the EU election votes suggest!

humptydumpty Wed 11-Sep-19 14:27:13

Another example of misinformation in chestnut's post?

humptydumpty Wed 11-Sep-19 14:29:09

The percentages (allowing for rounding) were

pro-leave 39.3%
pro-remain 44.1%

(leaving out the other parties, not sure where to put them!)

Elegran Wed 11-Sep-19 14:29:36

The votes cast in a second referendum, now that there has been a great deal more information and discussion, would give a far more accurate picture of "what the people want". That is why it is not likely to happen!

Doodledog Wed 11-Sep-19 14:44:14

*When was the second referendum?

Soon hopefully. We reaffirm democracy every four years by having an election - surprise surprise, people change their minds. We are coming up on four years, time to reaffirm democracy and see whether people still want to stay or leave.
THAT'S true democracy.*

I couldn't agree more confused.

Doodledog Wed 11-Sep-19 14:46:09

Something went wrong there. I meant that I don't disagree that a referendum would be a good thing. That is why I asked if the OP's assertion was based on a referendum I had missed.

Chestnut Wed 11-Sep-19 15:26:40

I am sufficiently confident in the outcome of a second referendum to support our having one. I have the feeling that many Leave supporters do not support a second referendum because they know full well how it will go!

As a Leave supporter I am absolutely certain leave would win! However, how many referendum do you want? Do we have to keep voting until you get the result you want?

humptydumpty Wed 11-Sep-19 15:36:27

No, a single legally-binding referendum (unlike the last one, which was advisory) with a mimimum% turnout and % margin between the highest vote and the second-highest vote would be enough for me...

GillT57 Wed 11-Sep-19 15:51:52

And me humptydumpty as a remainer, I would accept the result of another referendum if there was a minimum percentage turnout and a significant margin between the votes. It strikes me that remain voters are happy to accept the result of another fair vote, but the brexit supporters are very vociferous in demanding that we leave now......could it be be because they know they will not get the result they want, or is it because they are beginning to realise they have been misled, lied to, and desperately want to get this fraudulent result over the line before even more people realise just who the winners and losers will be? Surely, if you are so confident that you voted for the best result for your family and for the country in general, as I did, then you should be happy for a re-run?

Chestnut Wed 11-Sep-19 16:03:04

if you are so confident that you voted for the best result for your family and for the country in general, as I did, then you should be happy for a re-run?

Everyone in the country was told in the 2016 pro-remain Referedum Leaflet that the Referendum is a once in a generation decision and that the Government will implement what you decide.

We decided and we voted. But Remainers cannot accept that decision.

lemongrove Wed 11-Sep-19 16:11:41

True Chestnut ( remainers cannot accept that decision)
Either in Parliament, in the country and on social media.
Although, we shouldn’t tar all remainers with the same brush, as many do accept the democratic vote, and others just want to get on with it.