Gransnet forums

News & politics

So much for controlling immigration!

(131 Posts)
notentirelyallhere Wed 11-Sep-19 17:56:58

Sorry, hot potato, can't resist posting nevertheless :

Record number of migrants cross Channel to UK in single day

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/11/record-number-of-migrants-cross-channel-to-uk-in-single-day?

1000+ so far this year apparently.

SpanielNanny Wed 11-Sep-19 18:02:31

“you have to understand,
no one puts their children in a boat unless the water is safer than the land.”

Home, by Warsan Shire

I would urge you to read the full poem.

Lessismore Wed 11-Sep-19 18:04:09

Having spoken to people who did this and survived and hearing them talk about those who didn't....words fail.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Sep-19 18:08:24

Oh yes. It's because they are closing the camps.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Sep-19 18:08:40

In Calais!

Gonegirl Wed 11-Sep-19 18:10:52

Better to come now than wait till the weather turns bad. Most of them will be sent back. It's a sad old world.

Just hope (and pray) there are no more small children involved.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Sep-19 18:11:41

I cannot believe how uncaring and hard you must be notentirely No one, I mean no one goes on those sort of journeys unless they are desperate desperate to get away from bombs, killing, torture, and seeing their children have no safety or quality of life
If you haven’t got a heart then I pity you and hope you and your family are never in a bad situation with people turning their back on you
I m not religious but I do know the story of the people who turned their back in the Good Samaritan
Remember the picture of the little boys body on the beach three years ago No one takes those chances unless they are more than desperate
Grow a heart, lady

Gonegirl Wed 11-Sep-19 18:18:11

We did our bit in de-stabilising those countries they are fleeing from.

M0nica Wed 11-Sep-19 19:12:23

and didn't we do our bit in trying to resolve the issues in these countries.

Elegran Wed 11-Sep-19 19:12:24

I didn't read any thing in notentirelyallhere's post that condemned the migrants - it was just a flat statement that a record number of them crossed the channel in one day.

Have I missed a vital clue? Was there something written between the lines? Surely the responses to a post should be about what is written, not what readers inserted into the post themselves? Are you attributing sentiments to NEAH that you have transferred from somewhere else entirely?

Chewbacca Wed 11-Sep-19 19:20:42

Beat me to it Elegran, I was thinking the same thing. OP has been jumped on, and her post picked apart for something that she never actually said. sad

lemongrove Wed 11-Sep-19 19:25:58

BlueBelle which post were you reading?!
The OP said nothing much at all, just the facts, no idea why you are berating her.hmm

Lessismore Wed 11-Sep-19 19:28:18

So chewbacca and lemongrove, since you are here....what are your thoughts on immigrants in small boats trying to get to Great Britain?

Chewbacca Wed 11-Sep-19 19:30:29

It would appear that the subject of immigration is not to be discussed at all on GN, for fear of those who seek out percieved injustices; irrespective of what the OP of a discussion actually says.

BlueBelle you owe notentirely an apology.

lemongrove Wed 11-Sep-19 19:30:49

I wish they wouldn’t as they are likely to drown.

SpanielNanny Wed 11-Sep-19 19:32:46

Chewbacca Elegran I certainly didn’t intend to ‘jump on’ the op. The article posted raises questions about why there is a record number of migrants entering the country. Warsan Shire is a Somali-British migrant. I feel her words add far more to the conversation than anything most of us could ever contribute.

The lines I posted have stayed with me since I first read the poem. I believed they were relevant in regards to the ‘so much for controlling immigration’ topic. To me it says everything, about why we need to welcome these poor souls into our country.

Riverwalk Wed 11-Sep-19 19:34:00

Boris Johnson proposes an amnesty for illegal immigrants who've been here more than 10 years - wonder what Farage thinks of that.

Poppyred Wed 11-Sep-19 19:34:02

Why here?? If they are crossing the English Channel they are boarding in safe countries so no excuse.

We have taken more than our fair share, this is getting beyond ridiculous now!

Chewbacca Wed 11-Sep-19 19:34:22

I think it's a damned shame that they have such a crap life in their own countries that they risk life itself to get here Lessismore. Is that ok for you? Does my answer fit one of your "acceptable responses" tick boxes? Just who do you think you are to be demanding that anyone provides you with their thoughts on any subject? hmm

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:36:00

Does anyone understand that illegal immigration has been going on for ever?

When at work, I used to occasionally commute to France using the shuttle and always saw loads of illegal bods walking up the M20. I never once saw one being apprehended.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:37:12

poppyred tell that to Greece, Italy, Germany, Sweden etc etc.

varian Wed 11-Sep-19 19:38:09

It appears that quite a lot of leave voters thought that "leave" meant "all the foreigners mist leave the UK" and so a few days after the fraudulent referendum they were accosting their local Pakistani corner shop owner/ Sri Lankan GP/ French teacher/ Phillipina care worker/ saying "we voted leave so why have you not left yet?"

Fennel Wed 11-Sep-19 19:46:13

I agree with your sentiments, BlueBelle, and GoneGirl's point about the closure of the french refugee camps.
But as I've said in the past, the french people have done their best to welcome the refugees, but often their offers have often been rejected, because many of them only want to come to the UK .
This happened a few times in the quiet rural area where we lived. The refugees were brought down in a bus, shown very comfortable accomodation , offered agricultural work , but no, they wanted to go to the UK.
It's a complicated situation.

Lessismore Wed 11-Sep-19 19:47:21

I am a nobody Chewbacca, a person, a non event. I know a little bit about people who make this journey.

GagaJo Wed 11-Sep-19 19:53:50

So much for controlling immigration! I think the lack of compassion is in the title.

Surely, a more compassionate title would be: Rise in refugees risking lives in British channel.