Gransnet forums

News & politics

MEPs vote on Brexit extension appeal

(76 Posts)
humptydumpty Wed 18-Sep-19 13:19:53

I don't have source for this other than this tweet:

Chris Davies MEP

@ChrisDaviesLD
European Parliament has just voted 544-126 in support of UK being given an article 50 extension should the request be made. #StopBrexit

11:11 - 18 Sep 2019

but assume it's correct. Interesting because I did wonder whether they would agree to such a short extension..

humptydumpty Wed 18-Sep-19 14:26:32

Just that, really - haven't seen it publicised, and surprised no GNers have commented, did everyone think EU would just wave through our request?

Ilovecheese Wed 18-Sep-19 14:43:27

It did cross my mind that they might refuse. But they do look like the grownups at the moment.

petra Wed 18-Sep-19 14:53:37

It is in Euronews.

SirChenjin Wed 18-Sep-19 15:42:52

Should the request be made

Here's hoping the blonde numpty will see sense.

dragonfly46 Wed 18-Sep-19 15:46:26

I see no sense in asking for an extension. It is about time we just got on with it and retain our dignity.

growstuff Wed 18-Sep-19 15:49:38

It's more a question of trying to restore some dignity, which has already been lost.

Leaving without an agreement (deal) would just confirm that the country has lost its marbles.

SirChenjin Wed 18-Sep-19 15:54:27

Our dignity is in that ditch waiting for Boris to die beside it.

pinkquartz Wed 18-Sep-19 15:56:01

If I were them I would be so sick of the UK......we are so annoying! can't make our minds up at all.

humptydumpty Wed 18-Sep-19 16:42:02

I'm personally curious as to what would happen if Boris refuses to send that letter - there wouldn't be enough time, surely, to take legal action before Oct31, so we would crah out by default?

SirChenjin Wed 18-Sep-19 18:30:37

Or would Parliament take over the negotiations?

Day6 Wed 18-Sep-19 18:40:24

I agree with dragonfly46

We haven't been able to sort out anything in three years. An extension is merely a time for more shameful, Brexit-blocking parliamentary behaviour.

Let's get on, get out and move forward. The EU is toying with us and hoping Remainers can create yet more chaos.

Day6 Wed 18-Sep-19 18:43:37

I love the Remainer use of 'crash out'. We'd be gliding on to better things, but that doesn't suit the conversation, does it?

Ever thought that Scotland (or some Scottish people) don't want to 'crash out'of the UK, but seek 'independence' which sounds much more dignified.

The UK seeks independence from the EU

The sooner the better too.

varian Wed 18-Sep-19 18:52:43

For three and a bit years the only British people that the government have listened to are the 17 million that voted for a pig in a poke.

It is high time that they started to listen to the 50 million UK citizens who never voted for this brexit nonsense and can now see clearly just how damaging it would be for our country. We must do everything we can to STOP BREXIT

SirChenjin Wed 18-Sep-19 19:15:48

Unless you’ve missed huge chunks of the Scottish Indy ref it’s been far from dignified - we might not have used the term ‘crashing out’ but there have been plenty of other terms used which are akin to that.

Agree varian

SirChenjin Wed 18-Sep-19 19:16:00

Ref debate

dragonfly46 Thu 19-Sep-19 09:38:18

I am a remainer but I think stopping Brexist will give us even less credibility in the world. Lets just get on with it and sort out the deals later. It has to happen and we have to accept it. A lot of remainers I know feel the same.

varian Thu 19-Sep-19 09:59:49

Anecdotal evidence of folk you know is never as helpful as properly conducted opinion polls, which have shown a majority for Remain for over two years.

varian Thu 19-Sep-19 10:10:43

The legislation instructs the PM, if he cannot achieve an acceptable withdrawal deal, to request a three month extension.

Three months is long enough for a general election but not long enough for a referendum, which is preferred by all the opposition parties except the Labour Party so it looks most likely that we are headed for a general election.

The Liberal Democrats have long campaigned for a People's Vote and that is still the preferred choice of the party. However the policy adopted at the party conference, endorsed by the overwhelming majority of members, is that if a general election comes first, the Liberal Democrats will offer to Revoke Article 50 and Remain, if there is a majority LD government.

In a general election each party puts forward it's platform of policies to tell the electorate what it would do if it became the government.

It is now crystal clear to all voters that the way to stop brexit is to vote Liberal Democrat.

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 10:23:41

varian what hyperbolic rot: it is high time that they started to listen to the 50 million UK citizens who never voted for this brexit nonsense

I know you like to add up everyone who didn’t vote for Brexit but you do realise don’t you that (a) kids can’t vote and that (b) not everyone who couldn’t be bothered to get down to the polling station would have definitely voted Remain?

I just think you are being disingenuous adding it up the way you do and presenting it as a fact. Fake news.

humptydumpty Thu 19-Sep-19 10:29:21

I'm afraid ug that whichever way you cut the cake, taking people of voting age 46.5 million were eliginle to vote, and 17.4 million voted to leave - that's 37%, not the majority of the eligible voters. Obvioulsy no-one knows how non-voters would have voted, but no way is 37% a majority of the eligible population.

humptydumpty Thu 19-Sep-19 10:29:50

(sorry about spelling)

varian Thu 19-Sep-19 10:29:57

It is a fact that over 50 million people living in the UK never voted for this brexit nonsense. I make no assumptions about how they might vote, but it is a fact that they did not vote the way ug voted., even if ug and her brexitty friends don't like it.

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 10:32:53

But within those 50 million varian surely you have to concede that a great proportion of them were/are under 18y? And some who are over that age might have voted Leave if they could have been bothered to go and vote?

janipat Thu 19-Sep-19 10:39:38

Urmstongran there is a not unreasonable assumption made that people who don't bother to go out and vote for change do so because they are content with the status quo. Nobody can say for sure how those absent votes would have been cast, but those people obviously weren't avid leavers or remainers or they'd have turned out.