Gransnet forums

News & politics

Idiots Guide to the DUP

(102 Posts)
grapefruitpip Thu 17-Oct-19 08:25:57

Can anybody explain this to me please? I have tried to gain a basic knowledge and learnt something of the history of Ireland.
Who are the DUP....what do they want and why is our government cozying up to what appears to be a bunch of religious fanatics with views that belong in the stone age?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Oct-19 08:29:20

It’s called “The Conservative and Unionist Party”

That tells you everything you need to know. It’s the Tories in Ireland.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Oct-19 08:30:33

But then you’ve got to put all the historical layers onto the DUPs history.

Grannycool52 Thu 17-Oct-19 08:42:19

Sorry Whitewavemark, forgive me for contradicting you, but I have NI origins and am there every couple of weeks visiting my mother.
The Conservative + Unionist Party are the mainstream historical Unionist Party.
The DUP are the 'Democratic Unionist Party', set up by old Ian Paisley and reflective of his fundamentalist religious views.
Unfortunately, Theresa May made a deal with them to shore up her minority government and they wield power far in excess of their size.
What's more, although they are the biggest political party in NI, they only represent something between a third and a half of the people of NI.
Personally, I find it appalling that 10 MPs are getting away with holding the UK, Ireland and Europe to ransom.

annep1 Thu 17-Oct-19 08:46:08

If you go to wikipedia and look at the history of DUP there's enough information. You won't find the description "religious fanatics".

grapefruitpip Thu 17-Oct-19 08:46:19

OK, very helpful. Thats what I thought....how on earth has this happened?

Paisley? God help us.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Oct-19 08:49:42

granny I stand corrected?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Oct-19 08:55:20

This might help

annep1 Thu 17-Oct-19 09:04:54

I'm not sure about who's holding who to ransom in rhis country. ( NI)

annep1 Thu 17-Oct-19 09:30:21

Perhaps you could explain "Paisley..God help us"

suziewoozie Thu 17-Oct-19 09:51:22

The DUP want NI to be treated exactly the same as the rest of the UK except of course when it comes to abortion and gay marriage and then different is good. They are hypocrites and open for sale - BJ just hadn’t offered them enough yet.

Davidhs Thu 17-Oct-19 09:54:53

The current stand off is because when Stormont eventually resumes the DUP are scared of being outvoted sometime in the future. We all remember Ian Paisley, Arlene Foster is not a moderate either, the DUP are just as hardline as ever.
NI voted solidly for remain, in recent years relations with the south have been good and being in the same customs area as the south may well suit a majority

Urmstongran Thu 17-Oct-19 10:09:45

Arlene Foster’s part in the ‘cash for ash’ is the reason Stormont isn’t sitting. What a shambles. N.I. is therefore being ruled by Westminster in the interim.

annodomini Thu 17-Oct-19 10:11:59

The DUP is hell-bent on keeping NI on exactly the same terms as the rest of the UK. This means that if the rest of us are out of the Single Market and Customs Union, they must be out on the same terms as the rest of us. This would cause immense problems on the border with the Republic, but that, to the DUP matters less than the obsession that NI must stay in the Union on the same terms as we are. Compromise is not in the DUP's vocabulary.
Paradoxically, the closer UK comes to a no-deal Brexit, the closer Scotland will come to breaking up the Union so precious to the DUP. hmm

Grannycool52 Thu 17-Oct-19 10:27:58

Whitewave ?☺️

annep1 Thu 17-Oct-19 11:10:27

I live in NI. I have two passports, British and Irish. I don't vote for DUP or Sinn Fein. Both are extreme parties, compromise is not a word either party is very familiar with.

I vote Alliance. I would like to remain in the EU.

But, if we are leaving, I would like NI to be treated as part of the UK. That is how it should be. We are part of the UK.

Perhaps someone could share what the GFA actually says about the border. My searches so far haven't come up with anything.

paddyann Thu 17-Oct-19 11:25:41

and therein lies the problem "Annepl" because MY Irish family want to stay in the EU and NOT be treated as part of the UK .The GFA saved many lives in the six counties ,lets all hope it doesn't go back to how it was before then

Labaik Thu 17-Oct-19 11:40:45

I still don't understand how a country can function when their parliament isn't sitting; and how such a small group of MP's who don't even control their own country hold the balance of power with the whole of the UK.

annep1 Thu 17-Oct-19 12:12:11

The fact is though that NI is part of the UK. Until a referendum decides otherwise. (and that won't be the end of the problem unfortunately)
I have no allegiance to Britain personally, I'm just stating how I see the situation.
I would hope if we have an EU border that people could be sensible and see it simply as that. I think some politicians could stop saying it will cause a return to violence, which will only encourage it.

(sorry I have M.E. hence short answers)

It was a major mistake partitioning Ireland but not easy to undo.

Labaik Thu 17-Oct-19 12:21:18

The was an interview on the Ch 4 News last night in which the IRA said that violence will return if there is a hard border; I'm afraid there's no getting away from it. Alas, I don't think many people in England care about what might happen in Ireland; if they did Brexit would not be [possibly] happening.

annep1 Thu 17-Oct-19 12:24:44

Urmstongran

Arlene Foster’s part in the ‘cash for ash’ is the reason Stormont isn’t sitting.

Not true.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:46:32

I don't think anyone in the EU is happy about the DUP being able to do this, but, the government needing their support, there is no choice.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:48:26

Oh I think most people care very much about what happens in Ireland Labaik. No one wants to see the Troubles start up again. That would be horrific.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:49:48

Hopefully Johnson will be able to drum up enough support in other sections of parliament if the DUP feel they can't co-operate.

pinkquartz Thu 17-Oct-19 12:55:39

Labaik

People in England do care very much. We do not want a return to the violence again.