Gransnet forums

News & politics

According to a fb friend - Hate won!

(148 Posts)
kittylester Fri 13-Dec-19 09:01:40

Does anyone really believe that? That the majority of people hate the rest.

Why not believe that the swathes of people who voted Tory did so with the best of intentions and with hope in their hearts for the whole country.

In my view the hate was emanating from her.

jura2 Fri 13-Dec-19 09:11:18

Hate, perhaps not - although this vote was partly about immigration and 'foreigners' - but I'd say massive selfishness.

Missfoodlove Fri 13-Dec-19 09:13:17

According to Lily Allen we have voted for “more kids to die and fewer brown people”
I really believe there is a lot of hatred.

Opal Fri 13-Dec-19 09:18:42

Rubbish, it was about democracy. Those on the losing side are just unable to accept it gracefully. Time to suck it up, and move on.

sunseeker Fri 13-Dec-19 09:22:58

Well, if it is on Facebook - it must be true hmm

eazybee Fri 13-Dec-19 09:23:11

Yes, it is about democracy.
The people have spoken. Again.
Graciousness in defeat?

GagaJo Fri 13-Dec-19 09:26:35

I agree. Selfishness won.

I doubt many Conservative voters thought about the poor, the disabled, the needy.

merlotgran Fri 13-Dec-19 09:27:52

Speaking as an uneducated, easily led, narrow minded, xenophobic numpty who apparently voted Leave because I've only got half a brain, I'm happy to discover I'm not the only one. grin

Yes! Suck it up! Sick of the patronising insults.

As for Lily Allen. grin grin grin grin grin grin

FlexibleFriend Fri 13-Dec-19 09:28:08

Democracy won.

Opal Fri 13-Dec-19 09:28:51

No Gagajo course we didn't, anybody who doesn't hold the same political views as you are selfish evil b****s, aren't they? confused.

GagaJo Fri 13-Dec-19 09:28:59

No democracy in the UK anymore.

I'm a lot happier now I've accepted that.

Elegran Fri 13-Dec-19 09:31:44

Saying that those on the losing side should accept it gracefully only applies to games. This was not a game, this was in deadly earnest.

If a majority had voted to execute anyone who had voted against their majority decision, would those who had disagreed "accept gracefully" - the equivalent of suicide? Or would they campaign vigorously for change?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Dec-19 09:32:52

Labour and Liberals not very gracious in defeat, in fact out and out nasty and insulting.

How can they accuse Conservatives of being the “nasty party” with all the venom and vitriol being laid at the feet of GN Conservatives.....predictable and childish.

QuaintIrene Fri 13-Dec-19 09:35:31

Lily Allen is silly. Very silly.

MissAdventure Fri 13-Dec-19 09:36:48

She isn't all that great as a singer, either.

dragonfly46 Fri 13-Dec-19 09:37:59

No I don’t think hate won. I actually think democracy won in the end. I didn’t agree with either of the main parties so I am slightly ambivalent.
Time will tell how it will pan out but at least we can now move forward.

Urmstongran Fri 13-Dec-19 09:41:08

I think it’s because the Remainer hopes have been (finally) buried now.

All those petitions, the protest marches, the MP’s in the HoC creating the logjam in Parliament - all finished now.

Many Remainers will be bitter as their efforts came to nought. A stonking majority has now vindicated Brexit. Some Remainers did vote for Boris (as he acknowledged) because they believed in the democratic decision of the referendum.

GagaJo Fri 13-Dec-19 09:46:46

I think Leavers massively overestimate how interested Labour voters were in Brexit.

Most of us have LONG accepted it'll happen and just want it out of the way.

I voted for the NHS, for schools, for those at the bottom end of our society.

kittylester Fri 13-Dec-19 09:47:22

gagajo, that's quite right - I totally forgot that I have a disabled son. How dare you! angry

Cabbie21 Fri 13-Dec-19 09:50:23

There is no real democracy in this country.
The Conservatives won 45% of the votes. That is not a majority. But with our first past the post system, we will not get true democracy.

kittylester Fri 13-Dec-19 09:51:24

Political stereotyping at it's best!

kittylester Fri 13-Dec-19 09:51:49

That was to gagajo.

GagaJo Fri 13-Dec-19 09:53:00

kittylester, if you have a disabled child and you're voting Conservative, you're shooting yourself in the foot, aren't you?

maddyone Fri 13-Dec-19 09:57:12

Of course there is democracy in the UK. Yesterday everyone eligible in the UK was invited to vote for a new government. Many did, and the results are the democratic result of their votes. Some people don’t like the result but that doesn’t mean there’s no democracy in the UK. It’s ridiculous to assert that there’s no democracy because you don’t like the result of a democratic election.

Callistemon Fri 13-Dec-19 09:59:07

Lily Allen really is thick, isn't she!

So many of her so-called brown people are Conservative voters