Gransnet forums

News & politics

Big Ben Can Bong For Brexit

(215 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 22-Dec-19 07:29:55

I see in my Sunday paper that the new Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, has said he would allow Big Ben to ring out to mark Brexit on January 31st, ‘If MP’s wish to do that’.
How refreshing that this Speaker seems keen to do his job impartially, so unlike the bombastic Bercow, who did everything in his power to force his own views about Brexit at every turn.

JenniferEccles Sun 22-Dec-19 08:36:17

I am very impressed with the new Speaker so far.

I have no idea how the dreadful Bercow got away with being so openly biased for so long.

Sounding Big Ben sounds a wonderful idea to me.

It’s essential that we mark this momentous day in some way.

After all the majority of us voted to leave the EU three and a half years ago but as we know, our leaving has been thwarted at every turn.

I know we are not quite there yet, but it’s looking far more optimistic now than it ever has.

I have even felt confident enough to mark the date on my calendar - something I haven’t done before!

jura2 Sun 22-Dec-19 09:44:00

Truly appalled by this. The country is so divided - so wrong.

I propose a March to totally surround Big Ben and shout NOT IN MY NAME.

WadesNan Sun 22-Dec-19 09:50:47

jura will you be travelling from SWITZERLAND to protest about something the UK government is doing?

Calendargirl Sun 22-Dec-19 09:58:34

Think we’ve had enough Marches and Protests, let our elected MP’s decide what they wish to do.

Chestnut Sun 22-Dec-19 09:59:04

Here we go, a march around Big Ben......remainers still won't accept we're leaving. Very sad they have so little faith in their country.

craftyone Sun 22-Dec-19 10:02:25

The UK is happy at last grin , we will be doing the hokey cokey on the street corners and their will be massive celebrations in our UK. Beacons are already being buit. Love that speaker and love the citizens who voted for DEMOCRACY in OUR country, the one we live in. The silent majority has spoken

Baggs Sun 22-Dec-19 10:06:38

I imagine that the stress of being "truly appalled" by such a trifle is quite ill-making. Sad really.

GagaJo Sun 22-Dec-19 10:06:48

...for whom the bell tolls. Funeral toll.

GagaJo Sun 22-Dec-19 10:08:09

craftyone, I'll be looking out for the dancing in the streets. Although, to steal the lyrics from the Kaiser Chiefs, 'I predict a riot'. Bit like the anti-Boris demos.

Esspee Sun 22-Dec-19 10:09:30

I am so proud to live in a democracy.
In the last few years we have had one referendum which went according to my vote and another which went against. I respect the decision of the majority in both cases and so should we all.

Jabberwok Sun 22-Dec-19 10:29:06

As Mrs Thatcher said "REJOICE'!

Dinahmo Sun 22-Dec-19 10:32:15

A democracy allows continuing protest. As for the majority, well.....

Before the election polls were suggesting that the numbers of tories voting to Remain and labour voting to leave were equal. Sadly, those groups both voted for Johnson - one assumes that in the case of the tory remainers they held their noses.

ginny Sun 22-Dec-19 10:35:15

Esperanza, I quite agree. One voted was not what I wanted but as you say that’s democracy.

MerylStreep Sun 22-Dec-19 10:42:34

Jura2
I'll see you there. I was going to say I'll be the one wearing the Union Jack hat, but there'll probably be hundreds, thousands? of us ???

growstuff Sun 22-Dec-19 10:52:48

Bread and circuses to keep the children happy!

JenniferEccles Sun 22-Dec-19 11:08:22

Honestly some of you.
LISTEN to yourselves.

It’s called democracy. However you personally feel, the majority vote was to leave the EU and now, hallelujah it seems to be happening at long last, so yes, the moment should be marked.

Septimia Sun 22-Dec-19 11:13:47

I can see both sides of the argument but, JenniferEccles, you're right it was a democratic vote. As was the election. Some people just seem to be unable to accept defeat and move on.

If the government hadn't been obstructed by its own MPs as well as opposition ones, we'd have had Brexit settled by now and would be getting sorted out - and probably finding that things aren't as bad as we feared.

LadyGracie Sun 22-Dec-19 11:13:50

Yes!! JenniferEccles smile

Chewbacca Sun 22-Dec-19 11:14:52

Whether you agree with Brexit or not, the UK still has the freedom to rejoice/lament; celebrate/protest. We should all be happy about that. The poor beggars in China (that country that Gagajo so admires) are reduced go hiding SOS notes in boxes of Christmas cards, begging the finder to send help.

www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/22/tesco-halts-production-at-chinese-factory-over-forced-labour-claims-christmas-cards

Chestnut Sun 22-Dec-19 12:07:16

That is an interesting subject Chewbacca and I have started another thread.

SirChenjin Sun 22-Dec-19 12:37:59

The UK is happy at last

Someone appears to have a very poor grasp of geography and politics. It’s England and Wales, not the UK. Come on now, if you’re going to get all EXCITED!!!!! about Brexit at least get your facts straight.

Chewbacca Sun 22-Dec-19 12:45:14

Excuse me SirC? confused

My post wasn't about Brexit across the UK. My post was simply pointing out that we in the UK still has the freedom to rejoice/lament; celebrate or protest, irrespective of how you voted or your political leanings.

My grasp of both the geography of the UK, and it's political divide, is perfectly adequate, thank you. Perhaps you should read a post properly before you leap in with a snippy and condescending reposte.

SirChenjin Sun 22-Dec-19 12:47:10

I wasn’t quoting you Chewbacca - so ditto.

Poppyred Sun 22-Dec-19 13:02:55

Hallelujah!