Gransnet forums

News & politics

I think I'm more cross about Frogmore Cottage than anything else in the H&M saga.

(245 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 16-Jan-20 23:31:03

I'm not bothered about the reports that staff have been 'let go' because why would they be needed unless 'opening up' the house for a proposed visit and they are being moved to other positions so not being made redundant. What is galling is, I hope, something that others on here will relate to.

We are of an age where we look back on a life in our homes. Working hard to be able to afford them, budgeting to furnish and decorate them, bringing up our families in them, losing loved ones in them and maybe having to move due to old age and infirmity. Be it ever so humble, our homes have been our lives.

The casual discarding of Frogmore Cottage by Harry and Meghan - something that was handed to them on a plate, renovated by and protected at taxpayers' expense is a real kick in the teeth. We all have family members who either can't afford to get on the property ladder or who are working their whatsits off to pay for the home they are so proud of.

I doubt they will ever live in it again. All that money has been wasted and a beautiful home will stand empty. angry

ReadyMeals Sat 18-Jan-20 21:42:34

Interestingly, after a while Sarah got her "The" back when everyone realised she was still married to Andrew in all but law, lol.

ReadyMeals Sat 18-Jan-20 21:43:42

The Palace statement still calls them THE Duke and Duchess so I think the news outlets may have this wrong

merlotgran Sat 18-Jan-20 21:46:43

They will be Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

The brand name Sussex Royal is still under discussion.

Calendargirl Sat 18-Jan-20 22:31:35

And they are going to pay a commercial rent for Frogmore, not sure if that’s all the time or just when they are in residence there.

merlotgran Sat 18-Jan-20 22:43:24

I heard on the News that it will be when they are in residence, Calendargirl

That will be hardly ever then. hmm

lemongrove Sat 18-Jan-20 22:51:15

Drat! Gransnet members will no longer be able to book a fortnight after all.
I was so looking forward to the copper bath and the luxury fixtures and fittings.Grrrrrr.

Callistemon Sat 18-Jan-20 22:53:40

I am downright miffed.

merlotgran Sat 18-Jan-20 23:32:27

Did the garden ever get landscaped to their requirements?

Unlike the interior it will require constant maintenance.

ReadyMeals Sun 19-Jan-20 09:16:41

Upon further research it seems they will keep their titles - ie they still have the right to them, but will simply not use them. So they are still HRH THE Duke and Duchess of Sussex but will ask people to refer to them as Harry, Duke of Sussex etc as if it were what's known as a "style" and will ask people not to use HRH. In fact Harry already has history of this as he didn't start using his HRH until past when he would have been entitled to do so.

I guess even the Queen suspects there may come a time he wants back.

Tea3 Sun 19-Jan-20 14:34:20

Apologies if someone has already mentioned this somewhere, but I wonder what has happened to the staff who used to live in Frogmore Cottage and how they feel about it now going to stand empty for much of the year. I know the place belongs to the Queen and they were 'staff' but they are humans who have made a place home and then at someone's whim they have had to re-locate with all the usual upheaval.

ReadyMeals Sun 19-Jan-20 14:45:03

Tea3 I read that they have been "redeployed" and are working in other parts of the estate. I guess they will be brought back on a temporary basis as and when the house is in use.

Tea3 Sun 19-Jan-20 14:59:44

Thanks ReadyMeals, but I was thinking of the staff who lived in Frogmore Cottage before the refurbishment. It was so costly because five separate staff homes had to be converted into one dwelling for the Sussexes and this involved a lot of structural work. I feel sorry for these five and maybe they had spouses or families. All that upheaval for them and now the place isn't going to be used much.

Bluegrass Mon 20-Jan-20 09:08:14

Don't get uptight, H&M want to pay back to the Royal purse all the costs incurred regarding Frogmore...

trisher Mon 20-Jan-20 11:36:13

I think asking them to pay back is a bit of a cheek. How many landlords can recoup the cost of renovating property from their tenants? The value is in the property and the owner reaps the benefit not the tenant, especially when it's just a holiday home.

SirChenjin Mon 20-Jan-20 12:03:28

Landlords who own the property and charge rent? And landlords who don’t want to pay two million pounds for renovations but who allow their tenants to choose these extras if they pay for them?

jo1book Mon 20-Jan-20 12:06:59

Such an ugly house; it looks exactly what it is; cobbled together staff quarters.

trisher Mon 20-Jan-20 12:34:24

That's up to the landlord SirChenjin there are some places where people are still charged a "peppercorn" rent. They still pay for renovations

SirChenjin Mon 20-Jan-20 12:41:42

Absolutely it’s up to the landlord - who in this case has decided that 2 independently wealthy people can pay for their own preferences in the renovations of a house they didn’t need and in which they only lived for a very short period of time.

ReadyMeals Mon 20-Jan-20 13:24:11

I agree, jo1book