Gransnet forums

News & politics

Well done Lawrence Fox!

(736 Posts)
Ngaio1 Fri 17-Jan-20 17:10:05

What a truth! Racist remarks are racist what ever your colour!

Canalboatgranma Fri 17-Jan-20 17:13:40

I agree, he spoke a lot of sense.

evianers Fri 17-Jan-20 17:16:55

Yes Bravo Sgt Hathaway. Meghan is not black, she is mixed-race.

KatyK Fri 17-Jan-20 17:22:40

Yes. Well said Lawrence. It's about time someone spoke up. A woman said to my nephew a while ago 'You are a white male, your opinion is irrelevant.'

Oldwoman70 Fri 17-Jan-20 17:24:41

It seems every ethnicity is protected except one. I abhor racism of any kind - surely it is wrong to judge anyone by the colour of their skin, whatever it is.

Opal Fri 17-Jan-20 17:33:54

Yes I was watching last night, the woman basically said "if you're white, then you must be racist". Bulls**t. I was glad LF put her right, and the audience cheered him!

humptydumpty Fri 17-Jan-20 17:51:01

I also liked that, when asked what labour leadership candidate he would favour, he said Keir Starmer, and Baroness Chakrabarti said 'not a woman then', he put his face in his hands, said 'jeepers creepers!), then said OK rewind, any woman! This PC stuff is getting ridiculous.

Opal Fri 17-Jan-20 18:03:26

He then went on to say on Twitter "speak truth to nonsense". What a great attitude!

You're right humpty, PC has gone mad. Let's bring back some good old common sense!

GrannyLaine Fri 17-Jan-20 18:08:56

Wasn't he a breath of fresh air? A very economical style for QT.

Kalu Fri 17-Jan-20 18:13:07

I groaned when B Chakrabarti said ‘not a woman then’? Didn’t even cross my mind to think what gender the next labour leader should be! Thinking more along the lines of who would be suitable. Isn’t that what’s important? Silly woman.

Baggs Fri 17-Jan-20 18:15:02

I only came across Laurence Fox recently, via the Triggernometry podcast, where his song, The Distance, was featured. I was hooked straight away, which is not much like me ordinarily.

KatyK Fri 17-Jan-20 18:18:07

He was on Celebrity Gogglebox and his language was appalling. I didn't take to him. I've changed my mind.

Framilode Fri 17-Jan-20 18:20:59

Good on Lawrence Fox. None of us can help the life we are born into. At the moment it seems that if anybody says something critical about MM the cry of 'racism' comes up.

Doodledog Fri 17-Jan-20 18:22:43

A woman said "if you're white, then you must be racist".

Did she? I thought she said words to the effect that as a white man he couldn't know how it felt to be a black woman, which is fair enough, really.

I don't think that one group can tell another how they feel, or whether they 'should' feel as they do, and to be fair, LF is a very privileged white man, who came across (IMO at least) as incredibly arrogant.

trisher Fri 17-Jan-20 18:27:51

Oh good on Lawrence Fox a privileged white male from an upper class theatre family. He'll know all about racism won't he?
Probably learned about it at Harrow

Anniebach Fri 17-Jan-20 18:29:31

Oprah Winfrey is a very privileged black woman.

H1954 Fri 17-Jan-20 18:30:23

The woman in the audience was a complete idiot! MM is mixed race and I do not care that one jot but I do care about how she as so disrespectfully flaunted the RF "rules" on decorum, dress sense, hairstyles etc so blatantly. MM knew exactly what she was getting into and she STILL did it her way! Well done "the fantastic Mr Fox"!

Harris27 Fri 17-Jan-20 18:30:34

He was right and it’s about time someone said so!

Doodledog Fri 17-Jan-20 18:30:54

Oprah Winfrey is a very privileged black woman.

Was she on Question Time? I missed that.

merlotgran Fri 17-Jan-20 18:35:55

He was right and it’s about time someone said so

I have done....On another thread and was told I need diversity training by someone who didn't even watch Question Time.

grin

It's such an easy cop out to play the race card.

vegansrock Fri 17-Jan-20 18:37:56

Hairstyles?

muffinthemoo Fri 17-Jan-20 18:38:00

The only thing I ever remember about Laurence Fox was reading somewhere that his divorce from Billie Piper was very acrimonious. I obviously have no idea if that was true or not.

mumofmadboys Fri 17-Jan-20 18:54:58

I knew his parents when they worked for a Christian group in Leeds and met Lawrence when he was a young boy.

Doodledog Fri 17-Jan-20 18:59:05

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSwH6qHyAO8

There is a link to the relevant bit of QT.

Look at the way he doesn't even let the audience member finish what she is saying. He cuts her off, shouts her down, misinterprets (or doesn't hear) what she says, then puts his head on the desk in a gesture of disrespect.

He came over as a nasty piece of work. Whether or not he agreed with any of the audience members, he was being paid to be there and to answer their questions, and had no business being so rude, IMO.

trisher Fri 17-Jan-20 19:08:14

Anyone who doesn't understand the historic origins of white supremacy and the racism that results from that is just ignorant.
As for Oprah Winfrey Annie Look her up, she may have made a lot of money but privileged she isn't and Winfrey spent her first six years living in rural poverty with her maternal grandmother, Hattie Mae (Presley) Lee (April 15, 1900 – February 27, 1963), who was so poor that Winfrey often wore dresses made of potato sacks, for which the local children made fun of her.