Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Andrew warned not to go to the US because he could be arrested. (Yahoo article)

(160 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 27-Jan-20 19:58:27

Prince Andrew has provided “zero co-operation” with an FBI request for an interview about Jeffrey Epstein, a US prosecutor said today.

Speaking outside Epstein’s New York mansion, US Attorney Geoffrey Berman said prosecutors and the FBI had contacted the Duke of York's lawyers and asked to speak to him about the disgraced billionaire.

“To date, Prince Andrew has provided zero co-operation,” said Mr Berman.

Commenting on the investigation into Epstein’s sex trafficking charges, he added: “Jeffrey Epstein couldn’t have done what he did without the assistance of others, and I can assure you that the investigation is moving forward.”

He confirmed the investigation is looking into possible “conspirators” of Epstein.

Epstein died in prison in August 2019, and his death was ruled to be a suicide.

Prince Andrew’s relationship with the convicted sex offender has come under renewed scrutiny since he gave an interview to the BBC discussing their friendship.

He was accused of lacking empathy for Epstein’s victims and of failing to show regret over his friendship with the convicted sex offender.

The Queen’s son was pressed by BBC journalist Emily Maitlis over why he stayed in Epstein’s US mansion - despite knowing he had been convicted of sex crimes.

Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who says she was trafficked by Epstein, has claimed she had several sexual encounters with Prince Andrew starting when she was 17. He denies the claims.

She said she danced with Andrew in Tramp nightclub, adding he was “the most hideous dancer I’ve ever seen in my life” and “his sweat was… raining basically everywhere”.

Virginia Giuffre says she was left “horrified and ashamed” after an alleged sexual encounter with Andrew in London in 2001.

Following a backlash to the BBC interview, the Prince withdrew from royal duties in November last year.

Speaking in November, a British QC warned that Prince Andrew could face arrest in the US if he travels there to speak to the FBI.

Baroness Helena Kennedy told the BBC: "I wouldn't be wanting to send him there because I would be very concerned that suddenly he might be arrested and not able to leave the US.

"I would be very anxious about that."

paddyanne Mon 27-Jan-20 20:18:32

Hope they get their hands on him thats another royal parasite out the way ,now who will be next? Theres a very interesting article in the New York Times about Charlies finances ...worth a read,might not be ILLEGAL but probably immoral in a lot of minds .
I've said it before and I'm happy to repeat it.The monarchy is an out of date concept in the 21st century it needs to end when Lizzie dies .

eazybee Mon 27-Jan-20 20:31:48

Well, and this is not a facetious suggestion, the UK should not agree to Prince Andrew going to the US until they agree to send Anne Sacoolas here to stand trial for the death of Harry Dunn.

GagaJo Mon 27-Jan-20 20:32:59

Very good point eazybee. Sounds like a fair swap.

Urmstongran Mon 27-Jan-20 20:37:55

The Queen isn’t going to think so.

Anniebach Mon 27-Jan-20 20:38:25

Agree eazybee

Iam64 Mon 27-Jan-20 20:53:53

eazybee, that's a good suggestion. As GagaJo says, a fair swap.

trisher Mon 27-Jan-20 21:04:09

oh please send him. I'd love to see him arrested and having mug shots etc.

GagaJo Mon 27-Jan-20 21:05:17

LOL trisher

janipat Mon 27-Jan-20 23:34:19

Yep, they can have him just as soon as they send Anne Sacoolas back to face trial for her driving killing Harry Dunn. Does Andrew have diplomatic immunity?

Callistemon Mon 27-Jan-20 23:39:01

Yes, a good idea.

Sparklefizz Tue 28-Jan-20 08:16:08

eazybee the UK should not agree to Prince Andrew going to the US until they agree to send Anne Sacoolas here to stand trial for the death of Harry Dunn.

Totally agree.

Bathsheba Tue 28-Jan-20 08:22:50

Yep, Prince Andrew for Anne Sacoolas. Fair exchange I reckon.

Gaunt47 Tue 28-Jan-20 08:27:51

Gransnetters, let's give the poor chap a break! I doubt he's seen the FBI request. Because there he is stuck at home all alone, having to open his own post, not daring to open his in box because his Troll Filterer In Chief has resigned and when he rings the bell for coffee nobody comes. smile

Anniebach Tue 28-Jan-20 08:32:14

Arrested for what crime ?

Grandma70s Tue 28-Jan-20 08:39:09

Sensible question, Anniebach.

M0nica Tue 28-Jan-20 09:06:37

Who?

GrannySomerset Tue 28-Jan-20 09:11:49

No reason why the FBI can’t interview him in the U.K.

Callistemon Tue 28-Jan-20 09:22:44

He is only wanted to help them in their enquiries.
If he has nothing to fear, why not go? Baroness Kennedy mentioning the threat of arrest is ridiculous and of course he would resist going, as his legal team has probably advised.

craftyone Tue 28-Jan-20 09:51:44

A said he would help in whatever way he can, he has not responded to any requests for appointments with the fbi. He is in virtual hiding, behind the RF shield.

Anniebach Tue 28-Jan-20 10:02:02

Strange that there is only one man who has be publicly asked
to answer questions.

Only one man accused of being a friend of Epstein, same man
accused by several females of abusing them ,

newnanny Tue 28-Jan-20 10:09:50

Another vote to trade Andrew for Anne Sacoolas. Fair swap.

Oldwoman70 Tue 28-Jan-20 10:22:16

He needs to answer questions. I gather he claims to have not seen anything, yet he was staying in the house which had very young girls coming and going and - apparently - available.

He is either very naive or only saw what he wanted to see. Even if he doesn't face any charges in USA he must have information which could help the authorities. If he refuses to visit USA would he be prepared to speak to FBI agents here in UK?

Anniebach Tue 28-Jan-20 10:22:58

Do we trade people as well as animals

Anniebach Tue 28-Jan-20 10:26:06

Oldwoman is he the only man who can answer questions ,
Were all the young girls allegedly coming and going only meeting him ?

This puzzles me.