Gransnet forums

News & politics

This makes me want to weep

(61 Posts)
lucywinter Fri 31-Jan-20 11:52:20

so much kinder than our MEPS

tanith Fri 31-Jan-20 11:59:11

So nice to know we’ll be missed it’s very sad.

Kalu Fri 31-Jan-20 12:26:35

Such civilised behaviour compared to Farage the boor!

BlueBelle Fri 31-Jan-20 12:36:18

Oh it’s heartbreaking not just the leaving but the hideous crowing way it’s been done I despise Farage and Widdecombe totally despise then

Maggiemaybe Fri 31-Jan-20 13:29:53

Not all our MEPs though.

The usual suspects behaved like complete boors. The majority are leaving with dignity, some with tears.

varian Fri 31-Jan-20 14:03:11

Farage and his ilk have always made me feel ashamed to be British. They have betrayed this country.

GagaJo Fri 31-Jan-20 14:05:08

Me too. Such a sad, sad day. I've been a European all my life and now I'm just British. Not that I'm ashamed of being British, but I'm ashamed of being associated with Brexiters and Brexit.

DoraMarr Fri 31-Jan-20 14:25:00

Yes, most of us can manage to have multiple identities- I’m a Brummie, English, British and European. I wish someone would tell me how leaving the EU is going to benefit me- and I don’t mean curved bananas or something vague about sovereignty.

Buffybee Fri 31-Jan-20 14:41:49

Perhaps they should have been 'kinder' to us before.
I still remember all the sneering nastiness from them, over the last 3 years.
Maybe they're realising, 'you don't know what you have until it's gone'.

Baggs Fri 31-Jan-20 14:51:20

No, gagajo, you are still a European and British. The EU is not Europe and never was. It's a sub-section of Europe. As is Britain.

BlueBelle Fri 31-Jan-20 15:01:05

buffybee do not make excuses for these hideous people and please don’t pretend it’s a tit for tat thing
We re going to suffer for our own stupidity I doubt we will be missed much, never were a team player always wanted to be the special one
Odious odious Brexit party ruined our country in my lifetime
Sad sad day

Buffybee Fri 31-Jan-20 15:05:44

ruined our country in my lifetime
The country is not ruined.
Don't be so dramatic, we will be absolutely fine and probably more than fine.

lemongrove Fri 31-Jan-20 15:12:05

Well said Buffybee and Baggs....it makes me laugh when posters say they are no longer European.What do they think they are?
Too much hypberole by far on this subject from some.

lemongrove Fri 31-Jan-20 15:13:07

Our money will be very much missed by them BlueBelle.

Namsnanny Fri 31-Jan-20 15:21:34

I've just read Sarah vines account of the despicable behaviour throughout the brexit years.
It seems a fair account of the nastiness that abounded.
I sincerely wish I could wave a magic wand and make everyone's worries disappear, but I can't.
The nature of the game is that only the winning team counts. That's unavoidable
That said, I for one can understand the grief and sadness felt by some, and dont want to be the cause of extending it.
I and I'm sure many others want to forget the differences and move forward.

I don't say this lightly but I sincerely believe we are not stupid and the future is brighter for all of us.
smile shamrock

growstuff Fri 31-Jan-20 15:23:23

But it's not a game.

Framilode Fri 31-Jan-20 15:25:41

I think Sarah Vine needs to look a bit closer to home regarding despicable behaviour.

Namsnanny Fri 31-Jan-20 15:33:17

growstuff analogy!

Framilode ... really?

rosecarmel Fri 31-Jan-20 15:44:44

Looks rather somber from across the pond .. but it looks similar here too ..

Oopsminty Fri 31-Jan-20 15:54:10

We are still European.

How can people not understand this?

Chestnut Fri 31-Jan-20 16:03:32

Are we actually European Oopsminty? We have always been a bit separate, with our own currency etc. and we don't even drive on the same side. I see us as a unique sovereign country, although still close friends and trading partners with the rest of Europe. We have always punched well above our weight and will continue to do so.

MaizieD Fri 31-Jan-20 16:12:26

although still close friends and trading partners with the rest of Europe

Have you totally failed to understand that we will be the EU's competitors after 11 pm this evening?

We have always punched well above our weight and will continue to do so.

Delusional. Utterly delusional

Chestnut Fri 31-Jan-20 16:42:08

Oh dear OopsMinty you have such little faith in your country. Remainers can be so short sighted and don't seem capable of seeing the potential of the UK.
Never mind, in time you too will reap the benefits of Brexit like everyone else.

Chestnut Fri 31-Jan-20 16:43:29

Sorry, last post was to MaizieD not OopsMinty ?

nannypink1 Fri 31-Jan-20 16:47:59

For Gods sake let’s have a bit of positivity instead of this constant doing down of the country ....it so depressing ..project fear alive and well still I see...